24 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2009 3:35 AM by Harm Millaard

Premiere Pro crashes often

KeroTV
      I have just installed Premiere Pro CS4 as part of the Master Suite installation. I am not familiar with Premiere Pro.

My problem is that the app crashes often.
      Whenever I try to open a new AVCHD project - crashes

If I use the AVI PAL presets Premiere Pro opens, but will crash if I try the following:
      Whenever I try to play a video using the play button in the project frame;
      Whenever I try to create a new sequence.

I have tried dragging a video to the timeline panel but haven't been able to do so.

My system detail is as follows

Briefly describe your hardware, software, OS and versions in use, including disk setup, video card and driver versions, etc.

Intel Quad core 2.4Ghz
      4Gb RAM
      Nvidia 9800 GT graphics card with 512Mb memory
      2 @ 1 Tb internal SATA HDD
      1 @ 250 Gb internal SATA HDD
      2 @ 1 Tb external HDD

(Describe source material, including codec (not AVI, which is not a codec), project settings and other relevant info. )

AVCHD - app crashes before anything can be imported
      Others - MPEG 2, MPEG4

(Describe as accurately as possible what you did, what steps you took, what happened at what moment and what you did to try to resolve it.)

1. Started app, selected AVCHD 1440*1080i 25 (50i) option, then Prem Pro opened for a split second then crashed

2. Started Prem Pro OK using PAL widescreen project options. Imported various vid files (MPEG2, MPEG 4, AVI) and tried to play them using the play button in the project screen. Prem Pro crashed every time. I don't believe this is a codec issue.

The various DXDIAG, process explorer, Speedfan etc files are @
      http://www.4shared.com/dir/12555268/2fb5140d/sharing.html

In an attempt to fix this problem, I have reinstalled the Master Suite 3 times.

Would appreciate any advice.
        • 1. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          In order to troubleshoot, I would start by completely removing everything Pinnacle. If the problem persists, kill all AVG processes and services and try again. I'll have a closer look later but these were the most obvious suspects.
          • 2. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
            KeroTV Level 1
            Thanks Harm,

I installed XP Pro on a freshly formatted partition and installed a minimum set of apps. Ghost, AVG system stuff.

Installed the Master suite and opened a PAL widescreen project on Premiere Pro - immediately crashed.

I then used msconfig to stop all but the essential startup items - Premiere Pro still crashed immediately when I tried to open a PAL widescreen project.

So I then went into safe mode and started Premiere Pro. It started and I was able to import a clip and move it to the timeline. Then I got an error 148:3 (licence issue) and Premiere Pro offered me an opportunity to save the project before closing in an orderly fashion.
            • 3. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              You have a lot of Pinnacle things on your system. Where did that come from, if you have a freshly formatted partition with a minimum of applications? I'm not saying that Pinnacle is to blame, just trying to eliminate possible conflicts.

If you say a PAL widescreen project, do you mean DV PAL?
              Where did you get an AVI file from what camera and how was it captured? If not captured from Adobe, what codec is in use?
              • 4. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
                KeroTV Level 1
                The freshly installed partition with the new XP Pro installation on it was installed after your first reply to my original post. It's brand new.

I have also removed all the Pinnacle products from anywhere on the PC.

The PAL project I refer to is DV PAL widescreen, but the crash condition occurs also when I try other formats. The only difference is that AVCHD projects crash immediately PP opens.

On those occasions when I've been able to get to the file import stage I've imported many different types of files:
                MPEG2
                MPEG4
                AVI

The AVI's have been shot by:
                - 1991 era Panasonic tape cam
                - 1999 Sony tape cam

The MPEG2's, 4's and some of the AVI's have been sourced from a number of other sources. Some of the MPEGs came from my Sony SR8 and SR10 cameras.

A number of different codecs. I still don't think this is a codec issue.

The only time I was able to get any of them onto the timeline was when I started in safe mode. That's when I got the 148:3 error described above. That's apparently a licencing error??

Thanks for your help so far.
                • 5. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
                  TC1221 Level 1
                  Do you have a full purchased version or did you use the trial? The latter won't work b/c MPEG codecs aren't included in the trial due to licensing issues.
                  • 6. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
                    KeroTV Level 1
                    I'm using the full purchased version.
                    • 7. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      Can you try the following:

Download this short clip.
                      Create a new project with the default DV Standard PAL settings. Import the downloaded clip and drag in to the timeline. Does that work?
                      • 8. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
                        Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                        How about your video card drivers?

Update to the latest. If that doesn't work, then retrograde to an earlier version.

If that doesn't work, then try decreasing the Hardware Acceleration for your video card in Windows Display Settings.
                        • 9. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
                          KeroTV Level 1
                          I started off with a Nvidia 6800 GT which I was (coincidentally) in the process of updating to a Nvidia 9800 GT. The crash condition has been the same with both.

I have the latest drivers for the 9800 GT. I will rollback to the earlier driver and try that, then try out your other suggestions. Thanks for replying
                          • 10. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
                            KeroTV Level 1
                            Harm,

I clicked on the link you provided and got a "Windows cannot display this webpage". I navigated to your sit but couldn't locate the "Windmills" file.
                            • 11. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                              We have had several server restarts/reboots, due to the migration from Server2008 to an ESX virtual environment. It should be available now, it is rather small (27 MB). I have also put it up as a ZIP file, which is the same AVI but renamed to ZIP. Windmill.zip

Otherwise, PM me and I will use YouSendIt to mail it to you.
                              • 12. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
                                KeroTV Level 1
                                Thanks Harm,

The zip file is downloading at the moment. I'll let you know how I go with it.
                                • 13. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
                                  KeroTV Level 1
                                  Harm,

I used your windmills file and did as follows:
                                  - opened PP
                                  - imported windmill.avi
                                  - tried to play it using the play button in the project window
                                  - PP immediately crashed

Tried again
                                  - opened PP
                                  - imported windmill.avi
                                  - this time I tried opening a new sequence
                                  - PP immediately crashed

I get the same "crash" no matter what codec I import.
                                  PP crashes as soon as I try to play the file or start a new sequence.

I am now very sure its not a codec issue.
                                  • 14. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                                    You are getting me stumped. I know the Windmill file is good, no codec issues, so it has got to be something else. As troublesome as it may be, I suggest you try a deactivation, a complete uninstall, use the Adobe cleanup script and the Microsoft CleanUp utility and reinstall. For the moment I have no other suggestions. Tomorrow I'll have a closer look at your system and see if I can come up with other suggestions.
                                    • 15. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                                      When you say crash, what exactly do you mean:

a. Premiere Pro quits without any message
                                      b. Premiere Pro displays: Sorry, a serious error....
                                      c. Premiere Pro freezes, requiring a manual kill
                                      d. Other

Have you tried to reduce the hardware acceleration in the display properties?
                                      • 16. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                                        You could try to kill all processes with the red arrows:

Mind you some of these processes may really be needed with your system, so you may encounter a system hang if you kill all the indicated process trees. I would start with the Symantec, Google and Grisoft services, try and if it still does not work, kill the rest.
                                        • 17. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
                                          KeroTV Level 1
                                          Yes, I agree its not a codec issue. I've thought that all along.

When I say crash, I mean it quits without any message.
                                          • 18. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
                                            KeroTV Level 1
                                            Harm,

At the moment I'm removing Master Suite from the PC. Then I'll reinstall just Premiere Pro and the apps that it needs from the Master Suite set
                                            • 19. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
                                              KeroTV Level 1
                                              Harm,

I installed a new windows installation (after I read your first post) on a newly formatted partition and am running on a minimum startup. I just ran Enditall and stopped everything I could. PP still crashes as described earlier.

When I start in safe mode, PP will open and allow me to start a sequence without crashing. After its been open for a couple of minutes it comes up with a licencing error 148:3. PP then offers me the opportunity to save my work, then closes down.

If I try to start in safe mode again, I get the 148:3 licencing error message again.
                                              • 20. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                If it starts in Safe mode, and crashes in Normal startup, that suggests a driver may be interfering with things. Some driver that loads in Normal but not in Safe is causing issues.
                                                • 21. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
                                                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                                  >If I try to start in safe mode again, I get the 148:3 licencing error message again

That's because Safe Mode prevents the FLEXnet Licensing Service from running. See if manually starting the service while in Safe Mode fixes the error.

Mind you, I didn't try it here, so I don't know if Windows will even let you start it up in Safe Mode.
                                                  • 22. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                                                    Did you try to lower the hardware acceleration in display properties?
                                                    Right click on the display, go to properties, settings, advanced, troubleshoot and reduce hardware acceleration.

• 23. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
                                                      KeroTV Level 1
                                                      Harm,

That did the trick! Turned the hardware acceleration right off and PP allowed me to play video and create new sequences without crashing. Thanks for your help with this - very much appreciated.
                                                      • 24. Re: Premiere Pro crashes often
                                                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                                                        Great. Happy editing