9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2009 7:42 AM by Eddie Lotter

Problem while playback in monitor

Hi everybody,

I just installed and updated Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 and I'm having such a problem!

When I import movie clips in my timeline, I just can't see the picture in the principal monitor but I can hear sound.

I have a AVCHD camcorder (Panasonic AG-HMC70P) and my computer is brand new (Dual core e8400 @ 3Ghz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD and GForce 8555GT 512 MB).

I also tried to import an old video that I made last year (a simple DV format) and it does the same thing.

I'm using Premiere CS4.0.1

Can someone help me please. I really need to make my movie in the next days.

Thanks for all,

Bruno
        • 1. Re: Problem while playback in monitor
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Please provide these details to help us help you.

Cheers
          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
          - Over 250 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          Forum FAQ
          • 2. Re: Problem while playback in monitor
            Flaven Level 1
            That seems to be a recurring issue with dual-core and nVidia setups, especially "new" machines and Vista (you didn't say your OS, but I'll bet Vista...). One quick and cheap possibility that worked for me with the exact same issue: reboot to CMOS, look for "Plug and Play" and change the toggle from "OS" to "BIOS" (or, if already set for BIOS, change to OS), reboot and try again.

I have no clue whatsoever why that works, but I tested it back and forth: if Plug and Play is set to OS, no video. If set to BIOS, video.
            • 3. Re: Problem while playback in monitor
              Level 1
              Hi Ross,

Thanks for theissue, but it didn't worked for me :(. As you said, I'm using Windows Vista x64.

I searched a long time on google and I don't thing that my computer's resource are the cause of my problem. However, I found the Sherlock utility that scans all the codecs installed on the computer. Here what it said to me:

Audio Codecs:

1. "MainConcept (Adobe2) AAC Decoder ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2daac.ax")

2. "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Audio Encoder" ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2mceampeg.ax")

Video Codecs:

1. "MainConcept (Adobe2) H.264/AVC Decoder" ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2dsh264.ax")

2. "MainConcept (Adobe2) H.264/AVC Video Encoder" ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2evh264.ax")

3. "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Video Encoder" ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2mcevmpeg.ax")

After, it tells me that the driver file for the codec was not found.

I tried to download the codec, but it did not worked.

I can try to reinstall Premiere, but it takes a lot of time...

Do you have an idea?
              • 4. Re: Problem while playback in monitor
                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                Sherlock is providing a false error. The error results from these codecs being added in the Windows registry with quote marks around them - the usual for such things is no quote marks. This does not create any functional problem with the codecs. You will see that Sherlock is saying that the file is not found (and it is looking for a name in quotes). Note that the codec list available in GSpot reports the same false error.

One of the original messages I posted on this is no longer available (in the Encore forum changes), so I am restating the details here. My guess has been that this registry style was introduced in CS3 (it does not occur in CS2), and based on your results appears to still be true in CS4.

The location of the correct codecs is in the main directory for each program (e.g. PPro CS3, Encore CS3, each has each codec they need in their directory - for me c:\program files\adobe\adobe premiere pro cs3 etc.). I think someone once confirmed my suspicion that adobe is not looking at the Directshow merit ratings for the encoder to use. I really don't know.

The "DirectShow Filter Utility" lists these codecs out of alphabetical order (due to the quote marks), but correctly indicates that they are installed. Be careful, it allows you to change things!

http://www.softella.com/dsfm/index.en.htm

When I reported this about April 2008, I found no references to this in the forums or the adobe support searches, and only one reference elsewhere, so I entered a bug report. Because it does not impair functionality, I do not believe it is classed as a "known issue."
                • 5. Re: Problem while playback in monitor
                  don solomon Level 1
                  Are those the only codecs it found on your whole machine? By the way, I find that Sherlock always tells me that the Main Concept codecs have no drivers.

Were you able to see video on your computer prior to the installation of CS4?
                  • 6. Re: Problem while playback in monitor
                    Level 1
                    Hi Don,

I have many others codecs that are installed but Sherlock only tells me that Main Concept codecs are not properly installed.

I had Master Collection CS3 last week and it used to work very fine. I really don't know what to do.

I also tried some others video type and none of them are working... I even tried some video that I made from my old DV cam. There's nothing to do.

I will try to reinstall CS4 suite to see if something will change.
                    • 7. Re: Problem while playback in monitor
                      I have the same problem. Can't see video in main window, but when I choose Export>Media... It displays Video in output window. I've tried settings in BIOS - no effect.
                      System: Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x64
                      Intel Qore2Quad Q6600
                      4GB RAM
                      nVidia GeForce 8600GTS
                      No additional codecks were installed.
                      • 8. Re: Problem while playback in monitor
                        Level 1
                        Hi everybody,

Good news!! It seems to be working, for now. After a few researchs, I found out that some Adobe softwares are dealing with video drivers differently in the CS4 version.

I downloaded the latest version of my graphical adapter (EN8500GT). I then updated my driver to the 7.15.11.8120 and it seems to work with all kind of video.

I'll make some tests and I'll give you some feedbacks!
                        • 9. Re: Problem while playback in monitor
                          Eddie Lotter Level 4

You were told to do that in reply #1. I'm not sure what took you so long. :)

Cheers
                          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                          - Over 250 free tutorials
                          - Maintained by editors like you
                          Forum FAQ