9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2009 1:05 PM by shooternz

Export to Encore from CS3 - issue

shooternz Level 6
      I have shelved the Premiere component of CS4 as unworkeable and use PPro CS3 for editing tasks. I have not uninstalled the CS4 Suite because the rest of it works fine (so far).

Burning a DVD
      Now wouldnt you think that Export to Encore from PPro CS3 would launch (link) to Encore CS3 ? Well it doesnt.

It launches Encore CS4 but it does not bring in the files from PPRO to burn the DVD. A blank Encore Project with nowhere to go.

Posted in CS4 because this is another issue with the package that wastes my time, money and effort. (My clients are starting to wonder exactly what the hell they are dealing with here!...and I dont blame them. Its getting embarrassing)
        • 1. Re: Export to Encore from CS3 - issue
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          This behavior is what I'd expect in your situation. I won't opine on the right or wrong of it, just say that I'm not surprised by it. A new work flow on your part may be called for here.
          • 2. Re: Export to Encore from CS3 - issue
            shooternz Level 6
            A new workflow!!
            You sure are right on that but at the moment its a time wasting "work around" just to export a simple non menu DVD. eg I export an avi or an mpeg then open that in an entire new Encores CS3 or CS4 project that has to be created from scratch. 15 minutes of work instead of 2.

Like many other things CS4 has hobbled a CS3 workflow that logically should not be affected.

Main point of my post is really a question about why but maybe some one knows how to fix it.
            • 3. Re: Export to Encore from CS3 - issue
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              I don't see the difference, really. Export to Encore requires the creation of a project. It also requires the transcoding step. All total, it might be an extra 30 seconds to 1 minute while you manually start Encore and create the project.

Personally, I prefer this method even when Export to Encore works as advertised.
              • 4. Re: Export to Encore from CS3 - issue
                joshtownsend Level 2
                I stopped using ENCORE because the feature doesn't exist. Unless I have to make menu's I use Canopus Procoder, TMPG (with CUDA support this is the fastest) or DVD Architect. It's easier.

But if that option from CS3 was still there to quick-build a DVD with no menu I'd be using the hell out of it and saving a ton of time. Encore is better for making quick Flash sites than making DVD's to me right now.
                • 5. Re: Export to Encore from CS3 - issue
                  shooternz Level 6
                  I could Export to Encore, click the occassional Check box (eg No Menus, Loop, Work Area bar etc)and select a default project. The DVD would burn and pop out the slot.

Give it to the client and he could walk out the door.(As I write an invoice)

Opening a new project and importing an avi or mpeg pre exported from PPro) requires setting all the Parameters and actions in the Encore Project. eg Title Remote (which I can never bloody find), and the rest of them including checking the project.

Question still remains. Why does CS3 PPro Link to CS4 Encore via the Export command. They are Suites that should talk to each of its own components.
                  • 6. Re: Export to Encore from CS3 - issue
                    joshtownsend Level 2
                    Probably the same reason a ton of things that worked in CS3 (still and video rendering, automatic 24p pulldown, quicktime animation and photo-jpeg .ect)

They were sacrificed for the sake of AME, New Sequences, consumer codec support, Speech Analysis.

Wasn't this one of the 'Will Be Fixed in an Update' things? Don't remember.
                    • 7. Re: Export to Encore from CS3 - issue
                      Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                      Have you considered uninstalling Encore CS4? I wonder if that would handle this part. I don't have CS4; is there something in Encore CS4 that makes this trade off worth it?
                      • 8. Re: Export to Encore from CS3 - issue
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        >Opening a new project...

OK. So create a template for one offs like this. It's what I do. Then just import the assets, add to timeline and awAaAaAay we go.

Doesn't fix the problem, I know. But it might help you get the work done faster.
                        • 9. Re: Export to Encore from CS3 - issue
                          shooternz Level 6
                          Seeing that I now have to export something (create an asset) before I can make a quick menu less DVD, I am looking around for a small standalone DVD Maker.

I may already have one in my "video utilities tools" goodies folder but if anyone has a suggestion...cool.

No point uninstalling Encore CS4. That will happen when I uninstall the entire CS4 Suite after I work out whats next in this sorry saga.