18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2009 6:33 AM by don solomon

Is Premiere CS4 a Done Deal?

(Sherif_Osman) Level 1
      Hello,

I just reinstalled Premiere Pro and then finished an 8 minute video in it easily, in half a day. That is the same 8 minute video (shot with the Camcorder that I was told was my problem) that Premiere Pro CS4 failed to create a video with, after struggling with it for a week.

I haven't seen any updates for Premiere CS4 for awhile. Is it a done deal, or are the technicians working on resolving the bugs and problems that prevent me and others like me from doing *anything* on Premiere CS4?

If Premiere CS4 is a done deal, then I definitely want to trade it for Premiere CS3 right away. What use is a software program that you cannot use, period?
        • 1. Re: Is Premiere CS4 a Done Deal?
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Adobe employees have posted on this forum that another update is due. Updates have to be thoroughly tested, so I personally hope they are released only when ready for release.

Cheers
          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
          - Over 250 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          Forum FAQ
          • 2. Re: Is Premiere CS4 a Done Deal?
            joshtownsend Level 2
            "prevent me and others like me from doing *anything* on Premiere"

I edited a feature with it. Not that it's perfect by a long shot. There are updates planned but no they never give a time frame.

"What use is a software program that you cannot use, period?" None to you. For me and other it does works.

Here's a good rule of thumb the software cost as much as your camera go with cheaper software (like Vegas or Elements).

Maybe you should 'trade it in' for CS3 before the 30 days is up. Then wait and see how the updates turn out.
            • 3. Re: Is Premiere CS4 a Done Deal?
              Keith_Andrews Level 1
              I am not sure what reasons are behind the bugs and crashes that so many people are experiencing with PPRo CS4. I personally installed the full version months ago on a newly installed Vista 64 Ultimate OS and have edited everything from DVCPro HD to AVCHD and have not had a single crash.

I'm not a software engineer with Adobe, but I would certainly think that because the release is so new, most likely they are working on resolving many of the current known issues, as well as updating its compatibility and functionality, but remember, Adobe generally releases a new version once every 1.5 years, so once we hit the one year mark, history shows they will most likely abandon CS4 and focus the majority of their efforts on CS5 (assuming that is the next release).
              • 4. Re: Is Premiere CS4 a Done Deal?
                Level 1
                >I personally installed the full version months ago on a newly installed Vista 64 Ultimate OS and have edited everything from DVCPro HD to AVCHD and have not had a single crash.

What is your hardware setup?
                • 5. Re: Is Premiere CS4 a Done Deal?
                  billbuch Level 1
                  I am by no means one of several apologists who chime in almost every time someone expresses frustration with and/or badmouths CS4. Though I purchased the upgrade several months ago, I've been unable to use it because my capture card supplier (Blackmagic Design) has not yet issued a driver, much to my consernation. So, I'm still working with PP2 on XP-64, which luckily works perfectly.

Some of you may remember several years ago that one of the alternative editing app suppliers (Velocity/Leitch I think) decided to no longer sell their soft and hardware unless it was part of a complete computer/system that they put together, configured, tested and sold as a package. I don't know whether they still do this or not or even if they're still around.

Apparently they believed this would preclude them having to spend so much costly time on the phone dealing with customers who were having problems with their products installed in off-the-shelf computers or ones those customers had built themselves. In their view, many if not most of the problems were the result of hardware/configuration incompatibilities over which they had little to no control.

The point here of course is that many of the problems people are having with CS4 probably are hardware/configuration-related. That said, it's also pretty clear that many are because of not-ready-for-primetime coding issues within CS4.
                  • 6. Re: Is Premiere CS4 a Done Deal?
                    (Sherif_Osman) Level 1
                    Hi tlc51369,

Thanks for your message.

My hardware set up is:

Dell XPS 630I PC
                    Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit with Service Pack 1
                    Intel Core Quad CPU Q6600 2.40 GHz
                    8 GB RAM
                    NVIDEA GeForce 8800 GT
                    1 Tetrabyte of Drive space
                    • 7. Re: Is Premiere CS4 a Done Deal?
                      (Sherif_Osman) Level 1
                      Hello,

And my Anti-virus software is Kaspersky.

I also have System Mechanic Pro installed.

Any hope that Premiere Pro CS4 will work on my computer soon, or should I just trade it in for CS3 and wish the others like myself with endless problems well?
                      • 8. Re: Is Premiere CS4 a Done Deal?
                        shooternz Level 6
                        @ Albert Buchanan
                        You can try it for your self because it will (is supposed to anyway) run with out the Intensity Card. Mine is shelved because I do not believe you will see the BM driver anytime soon. I have also shelved CS4 Premiere.

You may see the problems for your self. You also may get lucky. Report back
                        • 9. Re: Is Premiere CS4 a Done Deal?
                          (Sherif_Osman) Level 1
                          Hello,

If that's the case, there should be a disclaimer on the Premiere Pro CS4 sales page that says:

"Warning, for some of you with certain computer, anti-virus, software and other such components, Premiere Pro CS4 will be a piece of crap that will be as worthless to you as a broken stapler. Buy at your own risk."
                          • 10. Re: Is Premiere CS4 a Done Deal?
                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                            No, it should read:

"Warning, for some of you with a certain lack of computer knowledge, Premiere Pro CS4 will be too much to use with that limited expertise. Buy at your own risk."
                            • 11. Re: Is Premiere CS4 a Done Deal?
                              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                              I don't like where this is heading; let's keep it civil, please.
                              • 12. Re: Is Premiere CS4 a Done Deal?
                                (Sherif_Osman) Level 1
                                Yea, keep it civil.

Why so much hostility in this forum?

Maybe because you need to be a programmer to use their software. Why is it being sold as consumer software if it is for programmers?
                                • 13. Re: Is Premiere CS4 a Done Deal?
                                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                  >Why is it being sold as consumer software if it is for programmers?

Premiere Pro CS4 is being marketed as a prosumer/professional product. Premiere Elements is the consumer version.
                                  • 14. Re: Is Premiere CS4 a Done Deal?
                                    don solomon Level 1
                                    To suggest that,

"Warning, for some of you with a certain lack of computer knowledge, Premiere Pro CS4 will be too much to use with that limited expertise. Buy at your own risk,"

lays far too much of the user problems at the feet of the users. There are some problems with PPro that are simply the fault of Adobe for releasing it too soon with too little QC and QA.

There are a number of very loyal users of CS4 that are very familiar with professional editing on previous versions that are having serious problems with it. They have extensive computer expertise, but it isn't doing them much good right now.

But, some of the problems are not due to user error or to users trying to run it on low powered legacy hardware.
                                    • 15. Re: Is Premiere CS4 a Done Deal?
                                      Alan_222
                                      Premiere Pro CS4 can not be called a "prosumer/professional product" when you can't even export a simple QuickTime movie.
                                      • 16. Re: Is Premiere CS4 a Done Deal?
                                        (Sherif_Osman) Level 1
                                        "Warning, for some of you with a certain lack of computer knowledge, Premiere Pro CS4 will be too much to use with that limited expertise. Buy at your own risk,"

Amazing isn't it? The only forum I've been to where the product developers or their employees do not hesitate to insult their paying customers... and in my case, more than once.

And I'm sure that many of those who they don't hesitate to insult have been loyal paying customers for years. Maybe they are too big at this point to consider or give a flying rat's *** about the individual customer.
                                        • 17. Re: Is Premiere CS4 a Done Deal?
                                          Dag Norum Level 2
                                          >The only forum I've been to where the product developers or their employees do not hesitate to insult their paying customers...

Just thinking about that this is a User to User forum, and that one of the big complaints is that there are hardly ever people from Adobe around here.

To feel insulted is not nice, and it could be that some users feel insulted when you call them Adobe employees, I mean, Adobe released PPro CS4 way too early :)

Dag
                                          • 18. Re: Is Premiere CS4 a Done Deal?
                                            don solomon Level 1
                                            Is sycophants a better word? :)