10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2009 5:23 AM by Aurobi

Media Encoder spitting out bad XMPES files?

I've run into a situation with Media Encoder in CS4 where I'm exporting out to MPEG-2 DVD format (with a couple of custom tweaks to the config) and when I bring in the MPG file into Encore to render to DVD, Encore will bomb during the initialization phase before the burn starts.

Examining the timeline for the file shows the problem. My audio track is huge and runs way past the end point of the video track. I went back to my Encore 1 days when there was a bug with the data file Premiere Pro 1 would spit out which would cause Encore to crash during the burn process. The workaround was deleting the file as it wasn't mission critical for burning, it just helped the process along during importing of the MPG file. So, I went in and deleted the .XMPES file before importing the MPG file and sure enough the audio and video tracks' length now matched each other and the burn went through fine. So there must be a bug in the Media Encoder. I haven't bothered to find out if it's my custom config causing the problem or not since the workaround is simple.
        • 1. Re: Media Encoder spitting out bad XMPES files?
          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          > Encore will bomb during the initialization phase before the burn starts.

What is the exact error? Deleting the XMPSES file is a workaround for the CS3 PGC errors. The conclusion there (because users effected are a minority) is that this is not a bug per se, most often occurs due to poor workflow, and for the remaining issues is a probable software/hardware configuration issue. So far, no one has reported a PGC error in CS4.

> The workaround was deleting the file as it wasn't mission critical for burning, it just helped the process along during importing of the MPG file.

The main problem with this is that any chapter information is in these extra files. When I use this workaround (I am still CS3), I note the chapter marker timecodes and just step through and add them back.

A minor issue is that it will take them longer to import, as Encore inspects the files.
          • 2. Re: Media Encoder spitting out bad XMPES files?
            Level 1
            "What is the exact error?"

PGC "Sequence 1" has an error at 00;00;01;05.

internal software error: %0, line sequence 1 - PGC Info: name = sequence 1; ref = Vgpc; time = 00;00;01;05

This was caused by exporting out a 00;01;58;14 length clip. The MPG file, once imported into Encore, reports a running time of 00;38;00;17 which is caused by the audio track being ridiculously long while the video track stays the same. The MPG clip plays correctly in Windows Media Player so that's when I started thinking the XMPSES file was bad. Deleting the file solved the problem.

I'm using a modified version of the MPG2-DVD NTSC High Quality. The two settings I changed were I changed the audio from PCM to MPEG and the Multiplexer was selected to DVD. This was based on previous exporting experience dating back to my Encore 1.0 days.
            • 3. Re: Media Encoder spitting out bad XMPES files?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              I'd recommend not changing either of those settings if you intend to use the files in Encore. They're better used when you want to create a stand alone .mpg file for computer playback.
              • 4. Re: Media Encoder spitting out bad XMPES files?
                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                Did Encore show you file as needed to be transcoded? (With and without the xmpses file)?

BTW, I agree with Jim regarding best workflow for these files.
                • 5. Re: Media Encoder spitting out bad XMPES files?
                  Level 1
                  "Did Encore show you file as needed to be transcoded? (With and without the xmpses file)?"

No on both.

"BTW, I agree with Jim regarding best workflow for these files."

I've been using this setup for many years. Without trouble (until now of course). With the split audio/video files I have had trouble in the past. I just tried doing as Jim suggested and shot the video out without those config changes and now Encore previews the footage with a really bad synch error that gets exponentially worse as time goes on - something that does not afflict my .MPG files.

Aside from getting the chapter information in on the Export, what do I gain by reverting to split audio/video format (assuming I can overcome this most unwelcome synch problem)?
                  • 6. Re: Media Encoder spitting out bad XMPES files?
                    Level 1
                    Also, about the split M2V/WAV format...audio has to be transcoded by Encore before burning. Why is this an improvement over combined .MPG? I'm sort of ignorant on this. I found something that worked for me so I stuck with it. While that is great for my own workflow it cuts me off from other options because what I had worked so I never explored alternatives.
                    • 7. Re: Media Encoder spitting out bad XMPES files?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >Encore previews the footage with a really bad synch error

That's certainly not the norm. Something is wrong with your system, or your install. Separate files is the norm for use in Encore. I'd look to having the issues fixed, rather than trying a work around which now itself no longer works.
                      • 8. Re: Media Encoder spitting out bad XMPES files?
                        Level 1
                        CS4 was installed on a clean system that was just rebuilt so I doubt this is an install issue. Maybe HW related. Could a severely fragged drive cause a synch issue like that? I keep my video projects on a separate physical drive from the OS and software. Both are Raptors but the 150 Gigger is at least half full and I haven't defragged it in a while.
                        • 9. Re: Media Encoder spitting out bad XMPES files?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          I've not had any sync errors caused by severe fragmentation. Still, it can't hurt to defrag.

I've had issues with Adobe software on a clean machine. It can still be a bad install.
                          • 10. Re: Media Encoder spitting out bad XMPES files?
                            Aurobi Adobe Employee
                            'Also, about the split M2V/WAV format...audio has to be transcoded by Encore before burning.'

This would happen if the Encore project has the Audio Transcoding Scheme not matching the audio file format that is being imported. For e.g., by default the Audio Transcoding Scheme is Dolby Digital in Encore, and the file that is being imported is a wav file, then transcoding would happen. If both match, then transcoding is not needed. The Audio Transcoding Scheme can be changed from New Project>Advanced tab.

Thanks
                            Aurobinda