9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2009 3:58 PM by lchapman66

Export Frame - crash . . .

lchapman66 Level 1
      For the 1st time in CS4 I tried to export a frame. No joy. Here's
      the scenario (repeated several times, even after clean re-boot):

1) Position CTI in timeline at the frame I want exported.

2) File->Export->Media

3) AME comes up, and I select a still format (tiff, or bitmap)

POOF . . . Premiere and AME disappear. No error messages, just gone.

No events the the XP event log either.

Anyone else see this?
        • 1. Re: Export Frame - crash . . .
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Are there any synthetic clips on any of the video tracks where the CTI is?

Cheers
          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
          - Over 250 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          Forum FAQ
          • 2. Re: Export Frame - crash . . .
            lchapman66 Level 1
            >> Are there any synthetic clips on any of the video tracks where the CTI is?

The video is very simple, just a single track of NTSC video and audio captured from a Sony VX2100. All other aspects of this simple project are working fine (clips exported to FLV for a customer's website).

I did describe the error incorrectly initially -

AME never comes up, the crash occurs when changing the output format setting in the Export Settings dialog to a still format (tiff or Windows Bitmap) from its previous setting (which happens to be FLV/F4V in this case). So, it's just Premiere crashing, not the AME.
            • 3. Re: Export Frame - crash . . .
              lchapman66 Level 1
              Ah . . . I figured out the issue. I just remembered that I had added a crop effect to the clip. I removed the effect and now the export frame works. I even went so far as to create a new project and verified that adding the crop effect, then trying to export a frame kills Premiere.

Can someone else verify?
              • 4. Re: Export Frame - crash . . .
                Eddie Lotter Level 4

I opened an NTSC project, added the crop effect to the only clip on the timeline, cropped 10% off each edge and then successfully put the export into the AME queue.

Perhaps you need to check that all disk option settings are pointing to valid folders and that your C: drive has plenty of space.

Cheers
                Eddie

Forum FAQ
                • 5. Re: Export Frame - crash . . .
                  lchapman66 Level 1
                  > I opened an NTSC project, added the crop effect to the only clip on the timeline, cropped 10% off each edge and then successfully put the export into the AME queue.
                  >
                  >Perhaps you need to check that all disk option settings are pointing to valid folders and that your C: drive has plenty of space.

Hmmmm. Tons of disk space on all drives. All disk settings are fine. Did you *change* the export setting to tiff or Windows Bitmap from something else? My exports to AVI, wmv, and FLV work fine, it only crashes when changing the export setting *to* tiff or Windows Bitmap. And removing the crop effect allows it to work.
                  • 6. Re: Export Frame - crash . . .
                    Eddie Lotter Level 4

Yes, I changed it from the video format I had last exported to. I cannot reproduce the problem, that's why I'm wondering what could be causing it on your system.

Cheers
                    Eddie

Forum FAQ
                    • 7. Re: Export Frame - crash . . .
                      lchapman66 Level 1
                      > Yes, I changed it from the video format I had last exported to. I cannot reproduce the problem, that's why I'm wondering what could be causing it on your system.

My system is pretty clean wrt other installed apps, and this is the first real issue I've encountered with CS4. I've used AE, Premiere, and AME a fair amount.

I guess it's just one of those Modern Mysteries . . .

Thanks for the collaboration!
                      • 8. Re: Export Frame - crash . . .
                        Eddie Lotter Level 4

Did you try the usual? (rename preferences? New project? New user account? etc.)

Cheers
                        Eddie

Forum FAQ
                        • 9. Re: Export Frame - crash . . .
                          lchapman66 Level 1
                          > Did you try the usual? (rename preferences? New project? New user account? etc.)

I did start a new project to run some simple tests that reproduced the crash. Since I found a work-around (re-cropping was easy) went back to work I get paid for instead of work I don't get paid for . . .