20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2009 1:11 PM by Jim_Simon

Media Encoder problem

Level 1
      Hi to all,
      I have a problem with my Media Encoder in Premiere Pro CS4.
      I have a 4 min project and when I export the media to the Media Encoder, the project starts the encoding, but stops after a while with a unknown Error!!

What can be the problem?? Have anybody a idea??

Thanx for help!!
      Alex
        • 1. Re: Media Encoder problem
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant
          We need details!!
          • 2. Re: Media Encoder problem
            Level 1
            Hi Bill,
            I can not give more detail, because I have not more!! That is my problem!!
            The encoding process stops with a unknown error!! But that is the only project with that problem. All my other projects are working very well!
            When I split the project in small parts, they all can be encoded!!

Sorry that I cann not give more details!! But maybe somebody have the same problem!

Alex
            • 3. Re: Media Encoder problem
              Alex, did you read the big bold print at the start of this forum, this will tell you what detail is necessary for anyone to help you.

How to post a question to get help quickly
              • 4. Re: Media Encoder problem
                Hello,
                I´m having same problems, complex project with 1 hour mp4 xdcamem files and every thing goes ok until i export to AME and starts the encoding process, it stops randomly every time and have to try again. tested in mac os, in every windows os and always same problem, wit AE renders and export well.

Can any one help becouse AE cannot import the transictions neither the effects.

Thanks
                R.P.
                • 5. Re: Media Encoder problem
                  Renato, have you upgraded to 4.0.2 with AME? Very important, major improvement! I have no XDCAM knowledge or experience but maybe this will help.

Also try not exporting from Premiere, after editing close Premiere open AME and under "File" select "Add Premiere Pro Sequence" find your project and click once on it. It will look like nothing is happening but eventually in the right hand pane "Sequence 01" will appear. Select "Sequence 01" and the "OK" button will come on, click it. Then from the drop down menus select your encoding options from the "Format", "Preset" and "Output File" (location). If you want to modify the presets click on right hand "Settings" button and when you are ready hit the "Start Queue" button and you are off and running without Premiere being in the way and you will probably have a faster encode because you are not using the C: drive and its lame performance (especially if your project drive(s) are less loaded and/or are faster than the C: drive).
                  • 6. Re: Media Encoder problem
                    Level 1
                    Thank you for your quick response
                    yes i have upgrade AME.
                    yes i have closed premier and imported the project and the crash s the same
                    it starts to encoding and them stops randomli and i'm complitly desperated.

if i import the project in ae it makes the encoding process 100% sucssesfull but i can not do that becouse the transictions and the efects do not import.

can any one help me?
                    • 7. Re: Media Encoder problem
                      Eddie Lotter Level 4

Create a new project. Import one of the problem clips and put it on the timeline. Can you successfully export that?

Cheers
                      Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                      - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                      - Over 250 free tutorials
                      - Maintained by editors like you
                      Forum FAQ
                      • 8. Re: Media Encoder problem
                        Bill Seper Level 1
                        I don't have a solution. I just wanted to say that if "desperated" isn't a word it darn well ought to be!
                        • 9. Re: Media Encoder problem
                          InciteLife

I had a similar problem.  I solved it by removing the rendered files within Pr - ie Menu Path: <Sequence><Delete Render Files> or <Delete Work Area Render Files>.  Hope this helps.  I asked Adobe Support for help, they were fast to respond but the solution did not include the simpler approach I chose from experience with another product. I have asked Adobe Support to update their Knowledge Base with this standard function solution as it required no rework.  At least it was the solution for me.

• 10. Re: Media Encoder problem
                            DigitalDogmeister

I've been very fortunate to have a lot of hi-def video work the last three months and the Media Encoder is literally making me think that Premiere CS4 is really more of a hobby program. I spend a third of my time watching the encoder stop, viewing encoded files that don't work. I updated to 4.0.2 and it is worse. I think Adobe really needs to address this problem. Premiere is a great tool and its ability to import Sony Hi-def XDCAM footage is really a nice thing, very helpful, but what good is it when you spend so many hours watching your finished video get crashed in the encoder? I have tried a lot of things and at this point one pass on the FLVs for client reviews seems to be the best I can do. I have a great computer with a quad CPU and lots of ram but I really think Adobe is not addressing those of us that want to use the tool to make a living that are finding it a really bad encoder and would love to hear any ideas on what I might be able to do.

BTW--typical project is 6-7 min. long with about 100-125 clips. I had a lot of problems also with Premiere CS4 crashing and not allowing me to open files but I used embeded sequences to stop the crashing. If I didn't spend so much time finding workarounds on CS4 I could really make a good living. BTW--the Sony EX1 is a really great HD camera.

Leo

• 11. Re: Media Encoder problem
                              joshtownsend Level 2

This thread gave me a good laugh. It's like people calling an autoshop and saying my car won't start "what's a matter with it?"

Guys there could be a million things wrong. It could be your engine, starter, out-of-gas just like your encoding problem could be drivers, the codec your editing, sequence settings.

this is a weird buissness we chose to be in. Reminds me of this brilliant video comparing people haggling at restaurants and hair salon's the same way the do to shooter, editors and post guys.

It's brilliant I tell you 

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/mcurtis/story/funny_video_discussion_vendor_client_ relationships/

• 12. Re: Media Encoder problem
                                IPpusher

This media encoder seperation has significantly reduced my productivity.

multiple error messages after a recent patch, that previously worked fine.

now the project won't render and waiting for it to load in ME takes forever.

Sad situation

Premire Pro is nolonger for Pro's

• 13. Re: Media Encoder problem
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I find the new AME has drastically increased my productivity.  I can now set up multiple exports at the same time and let it run while I work on other things, whereas before I would have to wait and monitor each single export.  THAT was a time waster if ever there was one.

• 14. Re: Media Encoder problem
                                    IPpusher Level 1

I would completely agree if we got detailed enough error messages when things didn't work, or could tell what the progress was while it was thinking.

I have tried to debug projects, tried to rebuild, but without detailed enough error messages you are left in the dark and won't be able to get the support necessary.

Looks like I am going to an older verision of Premiere where you did get this information.

• 15. Re: Media Encoder problem
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I would completely agree if we got detailed enough error messages when things didn't work

So far, my exports have pretty much always worked.  I use I-frame only media.

or could tell what the progress was while it was thinking.

AME has never 'thought' for more than a few seconds for me, again using I-frame only media.

• 16. Re: Media Encoder problem
                                        IPpusher Level 1

Sounds great.

Fortunately I think Premiere is supposed to work with more than just I-frame Media

At least Supposed to work.   ;-)

• 17. Re: Media Encoder problem
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                                          I think Premiere is supposed to work with more than just I-frame Media

On that front, my own viewpoint is, you get what you deserve.  Temporal compression in source media is just a bad idea.  If you want to avoid the pitfalls of such, then just don't use it.

• 18. Re: Media Encoder problem
                                            IPpusher Level 1

On that front, my own viewpoint is, you get what you deserve.  Temporal compression in source media is just a bad idea.  If you want to avoid the pitfalls of such, then just don't use it.

Letting this part of the thread drop.

THanks for your thoughts.

• 19. Re: Media Encoder problem
                                              IPpusher Level 1

Update...

Confirmed latest updates for Premiere Pro 4, rebooted, rebuilt project.... no joy, still won't work

Reinstalled Premiere Pro 2, didn't go thorough Media encoder - Rebuilt project, no issues, got what I needed.

Maybe an issue with premiere or media encoder.

Don't forget the main Rule.

KISS - Keep It Simple Silly

• 20. Re: Media Encoder problem
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8

Don't forget the main Rule.

KISS - Keep It Simple Silly

That's why I recommend I-frame only source media.