11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2009 8:07 PM by Jim_Simon

Loading CS4 on Windows 7

I have been experimenting with my Adobe products and Windows 7. I can load Premiere Pro CS4 on XP but loading freezes in Windows 7. It stops during the loading of Encore and it seems that Encore loads something into the registry that affects the CDROM drives and causes Windows 7 to suddenly not recognize the drives. In the registry it adds Lower Limits to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control section that refers to the CD and DVD drives. I can delete the offending Key and everything works again but the installation locks up again at the very same point.

Any suggestions? Could I load the disks onto the hard drive and install from there?
        • 1. Re: Loading CS4 on Windows 7
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Why don't you wait for Win7 support? You are on your own now.
          • 2. Re: Loading CS4 on Windows 7
            joshtownsend Level 2
            Cs4 64 works fine for me on my 'play-around' installation. If I'm not doing anything important I work there because everything is quicker. Even Rendering. But it is Beta and though I'm tempted I won't work on serious project in it.

But everything works exactly like it did on the Vista 64 I upgraded from. CS4 was already installed so technically I didn't install anything on Win 7 it all just worked like it did before. Only MUCH FASTER.

Also my Win 7 install is on it's own hardrive separate from mu 'work' install. q9550 @ 3.7, 8 gigs ram, Asus P5q pro, Nvidia 8800.
            • 3. Re: Loading CS4 on Windows 7
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              >Could I load the disks onto the hard drive and install from there?

Try it. Report back the details.
              • 4. Re: Loading CS4 on Windows 7
                Level 1
                Harm --

I am trying it on Windows 7 32 because I wanted to see if it was any better than Vista. Never went to Vista because of hardware issues. So far 7 seems to be an improvement. But I also need to know in advance of 7 whether my main programs are going to work at all or will it be another year after the launch of 7 before Adobe and Microsoft get the compatibility issues resolved. In which case I know I just stick with XP and not have to worry about upgrading my system, buying new printers, video cards, etc.

I also mention this problem not only to get suggestions but in case it might help the program designers be aware of problems that are already showing up. It may be Microsoft's problem, it may be Adobe's problem but I think the design team needs to look at these issues now and not when 7 is finally released (learn from Microsoft's mistakes).
                • 5. Re: Loading CS4 on Windows 7
                  joshtownsend Level 2
                  "I wanted to see if it was any better than Vista. Never went to Vista because of hardware issues."

How can you tell if it's better if you never tried Vista to begin with. Besides you don't wanna base buying on a Beta. Win 7 is basically a fixed version of Vista. Every problem there was in the Vista installation for me (in all programs) behaved exactly the same.

Why would you need to upgrade your printer or video card for vista any way? How old are they? Any computer that can run Premiere cs4 can run vista.

Basically if your stuff doesn't work with Vista now it ain't gonna run with Windows 7, which may be your whole problem.
                  • 6. Re: Loading CS4 on Windows 7
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    No Josh, Thomas has a good point, Win7 is somewhat like Vista SP2 or even SP3, without a lot of overhead. It is exceptionally bug free for a beta. OTOH, very few users of PP would be willing to install Win7 on a system, but if someone does and finds things that need improvement, I think both MS and Adobe would be interested to learn about those issues. But here on these fora, help will likely be negligent, due to lack of experience.
                    • 7. Re: Loading CS4 on Windows 7
                      Level 1
                      Josh --

Actually I have played with Vista on my laptop and from a software standpoint have had few issues but I know from the Microsoft Compatibility scan that I have a high definition scanner, a wide carriage photo printer and a modem that will have to be updated if I make the transition on my main computer (Intel D975XBX2, Quad Core, 4 GB Ram, 1 high speed SATA main drive and 2 scsi video drives, Quadro FX 1500 video card). I didn't know about compatibility with the video card until I tested things out. Trial version of Vista was a bust but so far 7 seems to be working OK with it.

So, if I know that the operating system can handle my video processing software, and vise versa, then I will make the investment in the peripherals which, I know, will eventually have to be upgraded. But with economics being what they are, if I'm going to struggle to make things work, its not worth the time or the money. I'll stick with my current system where I know things work.
                      • 8. Re: Loading CS4 on Windows 7
                        joshtownsend Level 2
                        Here's a cheap fix. Keep your old scanner and printer and computer and send the media created in Win 7 or Vista or vice versa. Your Quatro 1500 has vista drivers so no problem with that.

I'm not understanding if it's hardware interface or the manufacturer not having vista supported drivers when it comes to the photo printer and Scanner.

If you read Adobe's Videocard compatibility list it is a joke. A ton of cards work with it that aren't on the list. Seeing how Premiere CS4
                        is the equivalant of Vista there lists might be equally inaccurate.

One last question...Your modem doesn't work with Vista? Tell me your talking about some high end server not a dial up or network card.
                        • 9. Re: Loading CS4 on Windows 7
                          joshtownsend Level 2
                          That last post of mine came before his response. I noticed a grammatical error then spaced out a minute and he had already replied.

Tom, it's cool I understand and that's probably your the best thing to do. If everything is fine now then don't upgrade.

BTW you know all you have to do to see if your graphics card id compatible with vista (or any other piece of hardware) and search the latest drivers. If there is a choice for Vista driver then it works with Vista.

Happy Editing brother. :)
                          • 10. Re: Loading CS4 on Windows 7
                            Level 1
                            Josh --

the printer and scanner drivers are the fault of Epson, not wanting to take the effort to make updated drivers.

My video card problem showed up when I tried the trial version of Vista and NVidias initial drivers when Vista first came out. It may be resolved with the newer versions but with 7 coming out I just haven't taken the time to check. I'm happy with the way things work now in XP although a little slow when compared to doing processing in Windows 7. I have a copy of Elements 7 that I tried and things really seemed to move faster so I am still hoping that CS4 will eventually be made compatible so that I can change over completely instead of having to have a dual boot system.

The modem is only used for dialup communication with a computer at a remote rural location where there is no high speed available yet (unless I want to spend megabucks for a cable connection that would only occasionally be used). I have a video monitor set up that I can connect to view recorded files. A little slow with the dialup but I'll make do.
                            • 11. Re: Loading CS4 on Windows 7
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              >I am still hoping that CS4 will eventually be made compatible

CS4 will have been out for well over a year when Windows 7 is released, even if you're an optimist and it comes out by Christmas. Given that reality, it seems more likely that CS4 will never be "officially" supported for 7, instead that will come with CS5.

(Purely a guess on my part, but a somewhat educated guess nonetheless.)