16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2009 1:50 AM by shooternz

How do I export a freeze frame in CS4?

There's no longer an "Export/Frame" menu option in CS4 (as there was in CS3).

How can I export a simple freeze frame from Premiere into another editing program, such as Photoshop?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: How do I export a freeze frame in CS4?
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          Barb,

Things have changed in CS4, as you have probably realized. Rather than try to detail it for you from my feeble memory, I'd suggest that you search for "still frame," etc. on this forum. Others have listed all of the now intricate details. It ain't [SIC] what it used to be.

I also think that Eddie has updated the Wiki with the necessary moves that you now need to make.

I'm not putting you off, but am just not sure I can quote the necessary clicks and moves necessary.

Hunt
          • 2. Re: How do I export a freeze frame in CS4?
            I checked the Wiki first...no luck. But thanks for trying. I just wish this version had kept such a useful, simple thing...simple.
            • 3. Re: How do I export a freeze frame in CS4?
              shooternz Level 6
              All exports go through AME (even the Freeze Frame Grab unfortunately).
              • 4. Re: How do I export a freeze frame in CS4?
                Takyc Level 1
                This is just extrememly stupid to make a 1 second output task to 10 seconds involving another program. Maybe in CS5, Adobe will make all Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator.. exports go through AME.
                • 5. Re: How do I export a freeze frame in CS4?
                  Thanks, Craig. I'm relatively new to Flash. Don't know anything about AME.

How would I do freeze frame through AME? Any advice would be appreciated for this sorta newbie.

The other thing I might do is just open up CS3, create my freeze frame there, export it to P/S and back into my Premiere CS4 project.

Kinda ridiculous to have to go through all that, tho...
                  • 6. Re: How do I export a freeze frame in CS4?
                    Eddie Lotter Level 4
                    >How would I do freeze frame through AME?

See Export a still image in the PPro help.

Cheers
                    Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                    - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                    - Over 250 free tutorials
                    - Maintained by editors like you
                    Forum FAQ
                    • 7. Re: How do I export a freeze frame in CS4?
                      Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                      I don't have CS4; this is still mind-boggling.

Thanks for that link Eddie; I don't think I had actually looked at this in the help file. A couple questions for those using this...

Is there still an option to add the still to the PPro project?

The help instructions say to move the playhead in the export settings to the frame you want. Does it take the CTI position as the default if you don't move it?

There is a comment in the livedocs help asking if you can deinterlace, but no response. Can you?

Barb, don't overlook simply setting a "freeze frame" on the timeline without exporting. Given the new frame export workflow, I think I would do that more if I were using CS4.

> The other thing I might do is just open up CS3, create my freeze frame there, export it to P/S and back into my Premiere CS4 project.

Ha, ha. I can see thinking that way, but would be a bit much. On the other hand, if I really needed the frames, and I had a bunch of them....

BTW, does Encore still have a frame grab option? (CS3 does.)
                      • 8. Re: How do I export a freeze frame in CS4?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Stanely,

I'm not much for "big button" NLE's, but in the case of Export>Still, I'd take a "big button!" Even lowly Premiere Elements (a definite big button program), does this in one step - you click a little "camera" icon button and it's done and into your Project. Were I doing much of this in a CS4 Project, I think that I WOULD just open PE to Export all of my stills.

Yeah, maybe CS5. I feel that Adobe negelected to realize the potential extra work for this one little operation, when they broke AME out from Premiere. I can well imagine an "OH S^%T!" moment.

Hunt

PS Eddie, thanks for furnishing that link for the OP. I thought I had it bookmarked, but was wrong. My Ctrl-f did not yield it either. Obviously bad boolean on my part.
                        • 9. Re: How do I export a freeze frame in CS4?
                          EH....? Level 1
                          Trust the brilliant engineering minds at Adobe to redefine a straight line as the FURTHEST distance between two points.
                          • 10. Re: How do I export a freeze frame in CS4?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            Must be the same team that's redoing the forums.
                            • 11. Re: How do I export a freeze frame in CS4?
                              adamhaviland
                              This was the final straw for me. I've been purchasing updates since the Premiere Pro line was launched. They fix a few problems but create others. As an editor that often exports many frames from the timeline, this is an inconvenience to say the least.

This was my first and last CS4 project. I've spent more time in this forum today trying to resolve simple issues than I have in the past several years. I'm going to switch back to CS3 and start to research other NLE programs.
                              • 12. Re: How do I export a freeze frame in CS4?

Boy have the Adobe people really let us down. I have been using Premiere since the beginning. I am having such a terrible time using CS4 it seems like a big waste of money when you can't easily do the simplest things like saving a frame grab.

• 13. Re: How do I export a freeze frame in CS4?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

There are rumors (just that, no final notice) that CS4.1 *might* have some form of simplified, or at least modified, still frame capture capability, along with many other things. Might want to check out the NAB 2009 reports to see what might have been officially announced. Release date is *rumored* to be May, sometime.

Here's hoping,

Hunt

• 14. Re: How do I export a freeze frame in CS4?
                                    lindamermaid@aol.com

I've torn out half my hair trying to answer the same question.  I think I have an answer and it had nothing to do with the many hours I've spent in Adobe's help and Forum to get an answer.  I had to figure it out myself.

Here it is:  Because CS4 handles HD video, they don't export straight to JPEG.  They export to TIFF which is higher resolution than JPEG.  That's my guess, anyway.  To export a frame grab, go to FILE>EXPORT>MEDIA.  On the top right side of the window in the Format box, click the down arrow to open the list and select TIFF.  Click Okay.

Another box will open up.  This is the Adobe Media Encoder window.  Yeah it's new to me too.

The file you are trying to export should show up in the box with all it's wonderful detail including where you want it to go.  If you want to change the name of the exported frame, click on the 'Output File' portion of the detail and a 'Save As' window will pop up and you can rename the file.  Otherwise, CS4 will give it a generic name for you and you'll have to go find it.

When you get done click 'Okay' and it takes you back to the Media Encoder window.  From there click on 'Start Que' and the file gets saved.  Click on the upper right X and the Media Encoder window closes.  There is no 'Done' or 'Close' button that I can find.

Somehow I got my file to save as a JPEG the first time but I'm unable to duplicate my steps now, so just know that it can be done and be willing to experiment a little from here.  If you click on Add, it offers the JPEG format but it's trying to OPEN a file instead of SAVE.  I'll have to keep working on that part.

I hope this helps.  These turkeys at Adobe should hire me as a troubleshooter and manual writer - I spend a lot of time trying to figure out things they don't document in the manual or help files.  As for the Forum - they can stuff that, it's useless.   This should be an exquisitely simple task - we all do frame grabs.  But they've made it into a monstrous chore.

• 15. Re: How do I export a freeze frame in CS4?
                                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

The 4.1 update simplified this task greatly.  You should update.

-Jeff

• 16. Re: How do I export a freeze frame in CS4?
                                        shooternz Level 6

The 4.1 update simplified this task greatly.  You should update.

-Jeff

Not as "simplified" as it used to be or as it should be.   Still an odious workflow for no apparent reason and part of the wonderful world of "feature creep" that Adobe has adopted as a paradigm. ("fix it til its broken")

This Forum is another example. (Valuable working site broken and no sign of a fix anywhere near)