18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2009 5:19 PM by Bob Dix Photographer-E0Nmzu

Export HDV to tape with Canon XHA1 fails

Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
      In can capture from my Canon XHA1 but I cannot export back to tape.
      Halfway transcoding to HDV it stops and display turns to export status: status ready.
      Anyone?
        • 1. Re: Export HDV to tape with Canon XHA1 fails
          Curt Wrigley Level 4
          cam isnt timing out (going into wait mode) while transcooding is it?
          • 2. Re: Export HDV to tape with Canon XHA1 fails
            No, camera does not change.
            Transcoding just stops halfway, no matter if the timeline is filled with 1 minute of clips or 10 minutes.
            • 3. Re: Export HDV to tape with Canon XHA1 fails
              Curt Wrigley Level 4
              hmm. Ive got the same cam so Ill give it a whirl and see if it works. To be honest Ive never exported HDV back to tape.

Curt
              • 4. Re: Export HDV to tape with Canon XHA1 fails
                Thanks in advanced.
                • 5. Re: Export HDV to tape with Canon XHA1 fails
                  export to tape with canon xha1 is still not possible in ProCS4. It was not possible in ProCS3
                  It seems that the popularity of the canon's 24p frame mode is not that high in the HD market. Canon XHa1 functionality does not work with adobe for HDV camcvorders except the lowend hdv camcorder
                  • 6. Re: Export HDV to tape with Canon XHA1 fails
                    I know the 24/25f is not possible but the normal HDV ought to be.
                    • 7. Re: Export HDV to tape with Canon XHA1 fails
                      SFL46 Level 3
                      I routinely export HDV timelines back to a Canon XH-A1 in 29.97i (59.94). For this to work, it is extremely important to use the correct preset when creating the timeline. A format mismatch between the XH-A1 and the timeline will halt the export before it gest started.

You mentioned that the transcode continued until it was 50% and then halted. The manual isn't clear on this--when the transcode progress shows 50%--the transcoding is complete (100%) and the transport stream is ready for export to the camcorder. The remaining 50% is the time to transport the stream via IEEE1394. The fact that the process is dying at this point suggests a problem with the camera setup in PPRO. Does the export dialog legend show the camera as being "ready" if not, it can't export.
                      • 8. Re: Export HDV to tape with Canon XHA1 fails
                        Curt Wrigley Level 4
                        Hi Ann,

Sorry it took me a while to test this. It worked fine for me also.

I set the device to Cannon / Standard and as Steve said the first 50% export is rendering, the last 50% is the actual send to tape. Though it all works fine; many or not happy about using hdv as an archive. But in a pinch it should work.

Curt

Tested on XHA1 in HDV mode (30i source) on Vista 64 machine
                        • 9. Re: Export HDV to tape with Canon XHA1 fails
                          Steve and Curt thanks for the input. And thank you Curt for giving it a spin. So its not the camera.
                          Give it another go when i get back form South America in a few weeks.
                          Leaving for Patagonia on sunday with my A1 and a little travel tripod.

Edit: just after i written above post i gave it a try again. And guess what IT WORKS. The thing i found out it does only .mpeg.
                          My timeline was a mix of .mpeg and m2t. It also failed on a timeline filled with just m2t.
                          By the way its not for archiving but showing edited footage at a videoclub. Thanks again.
                          • 10. Re: Export HDV to tape with Canon XHA1 fails
                            Just gave it another spin and it also exports m2t and a mix timeline. I have no idea where i went wrong.
                            I thing i am going to take up knitting.;)
                            • 11. Re: Export HDV to tape with Canon XHA1 fails
                              Level 1

Gee after all that time i hope you have worked it out.

After using a Canon HV 20 it captures perfectly in HDV in premiere Pro 1.5.1 in HDV however, it will not Export to Tape although it will render and transcode and save the file whivh you can open in Premiere Elements 4 or 7 and it can then be Exported to Tape. Do not ask me why.

• 12. Re: Export HDV to tape with Canon XHA1 fails
                                MM in Carlsbad Level 1

Your post re: Canon HV20 caught my eye.  I have an HV30 and PremPro CS3 and several versions of Prem Elements (incl 7).

I had trouble with HV30 to PremPro capturing of HDV footage - dropped frames causing out-of-synch/audio issues.  I am about to try HDVSplit (shareware) upon recommendation from the Forum.

I am not able to export from either PremPro or Prem Elem to my HV30 camcorder.  I called Canon and they confirmed that transfer back to tape was not supported on the HV30.

Are you moving HDV edited footage back to your HV20?  If so, I'm tempted to borrow a buddy's HV20 when I want to archive to tape.  Which export choices did you make for rendering and transcoding to your saved file?

Thanks.

- Mike -

• 13. Re: Export HDV to tape with Canon XHA1 fails
                                  Level 1

To MM in Calsberg,

Mate, the problem is somewhere in Premiere Pro, if you do all the editing work in Premiere and it will not Export back to your Canon , if in HDV, then save the mt2 file and import into Premiere Elements 4 or whatever , it will automatically Export to tape direct from the timeline (after being authorised by Adobe, would you believe?) that is by internet connection. I suggest you render the timeline first.Once this happens there is no further delay.

The resultant Export in HDV is stunning on a Sony Bravia 1920x1080 46" LCD

• 14. Re: Export HDV to tape with Canon XHA1 fails
                                    Level 1

Look , there is another way of doing this.

After editing to the timeline in Premiere Pro just Export to a Movie as avi. file there appears to no loss of definition , and then Import into Premiere Elements, render the timeline, and tick Export to Tape. We are in Australia on PAL at 25fps into a canon HV2 operating at 25fps. However, if you use a Canon EOS 5D Mark II  which run at 30fps  you will need to alter the frame rate for smooth running, or use Time Stretch in Premiere Elements 4 to change from 30fps by 84% to 25 fps into the HV20. In any case you will need to watch for smooth running with fast moving scenes , cars, trains, buses people, etc.

All the Export to Tape done here is in High Definition and the results out of the old Premiere Pro 1.5.1 HDV is stunning.

• 15. Re: Export HDV to tape with Canon XHA1 fails
                                      Level 1

Check out my replies in forum ,

all the best >>>>>>>>>>>>

• 16. Re: Export HDV to tape with Canon XHA1 fails
                                        MM in Carlsbad Level 1

Hello to Bob down under...

Thanks for your posts.

I will give it a try.  I believe I tried both Premiere Pro and Premiere Elements in my efforts to export to camcorder tape, but I'll try again.

I'll post my results.

Cheers.

- Mike -

MM in Carlsbad, CA

• 17. Re: Export HDV to tape with Canon XHA1 fails
                                          Level 1

Well , Canon reckons you can use a Canon HV 20 to transfer tapes etc and it does wortk , the high definition results on a Sony 46" High definition LCD is amazing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> there should be no difference between the HV 30 & Hv 40 in Pal

But, do not try to use Premiere Pio 1.5.1 except for editing , use Premiere Elements 4 or above  to Export to Tape in High definition it is so easy.Just import Premiere pro 's m2t file .

Good luck, adobe premiere is very good , the Adobe techs are hopeless.  ##################

Bob

• 18. Re: Export HDV to tape with Canon XHA1 fails
                                            Level 1

MM,

I forgot to say I find it better to use the Start/Stop to Execute the recording in the Canon HV20 when Premiere Elements 4 indicates it is recording to tape .

The Canon HV 20 always works in capture mode to Premiere Pro 1.5.1 or Premiere Elements 4 and you can easily drop the mov. files /clips from an Canon EOS 5D mark II into the project and on to the Timeline, but, you must render the clips before scrubbing in edit. it takes a little time in a Pentium 4 3.2 ghz @ 800fsb running on 2Gb ram, but, the result is worth it.

If you do use Premiere Elements 4, note at the bottom left on the monitor it will indicate" Indexing file", and "conforming", wait till it finishes.........

I hope it all works, the only other solution is totally remove the program and reinstall and keep your fingers crossed, particularly the High definition Upgrade .1  for 1.5

Message was edited by: Bob Dix

Message was edited by: Bob Dix