9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2010 8:14 AM by cpi-kim

CS4 and mp4 / h.264

Greetings,

I have an originally produced file that is about 700mb in size and 4 minutes in length. It is 1200x900 or so in resolution and is an .mp4 / h.264 file. CS4 will only import the audio.

Any ideas as to how I can import and edit this file?

I've tried exporting it as a raw AVI and a DV encoded AVI using QTPro, but none of those files works.

I am on a PC with 4gb of RAM and a quad core processor.

Thanks!

-Alex
        • 1. Re: CS4 and mp4 / h.264
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          >Any ideas as to how I can import and edit this file?

That file is more of an end use file than a source media file. I'd recommend going back to the program that created it and exporting out something more editing friendly.
          • 2. Re: CS4 and mp4 / h.264
            TC1221 Level 1
            First off, I assume you're using a full purchased version of CS4, NOT a trial, right? Trial's have limits on all forms of MPEG.

I'm also assuming the footage is not from a XDCAM, or AVCHD. What camera were you using?

I'm suspecting the video part itself is either corrupted, or PPro can't read the codec for some reason.

Basically PPro can't find/read the video stream so it just imports the audio.

Usually if that happens it means the video is in a codec PPro can't read... yes, MP4 should work.
            However MP4 is a container, which can contain different codecs. In your case you say it's H264 but those, too, can be created differently so that may be an issue.

The AVI you converted this to may contain a codec Premiere can't work with. Remember, AVI isn't a codec, it's a container, like MP4.

AVI isn't QT's strength, that's a Microsoft thing.

I have a feeling whatever cam you used created a version of H264 that's not compatible.

Have you tried converting the file to .MOV with QTPro?
            Can you play the MP4 file and the AVI file with Windows Media Player?
            • 3. Re: CS4 and mp4 / h.264
              Level 1
              Much obliged for the responses.

I have tried converting the file to an .MOV, Jpeg 2000 high quality, which produced a 3.5gb file that Premiere chokes on.

I can't play the mp4 file with WMP, but I can play it with QuickTime.

It just amazes me that these formats can't be handled by Premiere. I know audio contains a fraction of the data needed to process, but if you want to edit an mp3, you just load it and edit it, the decompression is handled in software. The same should be true of video.

Is there hardware that handles codecs natively in realtime?
              • 4. Re: CS4 and mp4 / h.264
                Level 1
                Also I'm finding out which camera was used and I'm trying to get the raw footage.
                • 5. Re: CS4 and mp4 / h.264
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  With those dimensions, chances are it was software and not a camera that created the video. Hence my suggestion to go back to that software and create a more editing friendly file.
                  • 6. Re: CS4 and mp4 / h.264
                    TC1221 Level 1
                    Whatever created the file, camera or software, it looks your computer isn't set up for H264 on WMP yet.
                    Try this
                    download and install the open source decoders here
                    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/x264_Video_Codec.htm

and

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm

Reboot and see if Windows Media Player can now play the file. If so, try working with it in Premiere.

If that doesn't work I read good things about converting H264 (and pretty much anything else) to more usable formats with a free converter called SUPER
                    This guys has a couple of posts on it, maybe those help: http://kroycom.com/blog/2009/free-video-converter-super-now-does-wmv9/

Please let us know which steps if any worked for you.
                    • 7. Re: CS4 and mp4 / h.264
                      Level 1
                      > It just amazes me that these formats can't be handled by Premiere.

I'm amazed at the number of codecs Premiere supports natively. I'd prefer
                      that Premiere doesn't support the myriad of codecs that were not designed
                      for editing. Premiere is already too complex, but that doesn't stop users
                      from insisting more and more codecs be added to the list.

> Is there hardware that handles codecs natively in realtime?

A much better solution is to use codecs that were specifically designed for
                      editing.

Best,
                      Christopher
                      • 8. Re: CS4 and mp4 / h.264
                        Ian_Sutton Level 1

If Quicktime can decode the files, try saving the movie (assuming you have QTPro) as a self contained movie. This should just put it in the MOV container and use QT to decode inside of Premiere...I had a similar issue and found that was the best way round it...

• 9. Re: CS4 and mp4 / h.264
                          cpi-kim

Try changing the extension to from mp4 to mpg then importing. It works with my Flip videos.