6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2009 12:39 PM by Eric1138

No Color Keying on Mac CS4?

Navarro Parker Level 3
      I'm a long time After Effects user and have become interesting in integrating Premiere Pro into my workflow. But I'm a little surprised that PP doesn't have any "real" color keying tools.

Am I supposed to roundtrip all my footage to After Effects, use Keylight, and go back to Premiere?
        • 1. Re: No Color Keying on Mac CS4?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Based on user reports of quality, you'd probably want to did it that way even if Premiere did have its own color key effect.
          • 2. Re: No Color Keying on Mac CS4?
            Curt Wrigley Level 4
            Yes; key in AE/keylight. Using DL, it isnt as bad as it sounds. It works pretty nicely.

Curt
            • 3. Re: No Color Keying on Mac CS4?
              Level 1
              >Yes; key in AE/keylight. Using DL, it isnt as bad as it sounds. It works pretty nicely.

It does take practice even with a properly lit green screen.
              • 4. Re: No Color Keying on Mac CS4?
                Navarro Parker Level 3
                Can you quickly step me through the process?

I have my green screen XDCAM EX footage in my PP timeline. I go to Adobe Dynamic Link> New AE Comp

Now I need to name my AE project. Do I now need to reimport my EX footage into AE? How do I do that? AE doesn't seem to support native XDCAM BPAV folders like Premiere does. Do I have to export my footage from Premiere or use the XDCAM Transfer app?
                • 5. Re: No Color Keying on Mac CS4?
                  joshtownsend Level 2
                  or right click the clip and 'open the file in AE'. The clip will be there when AE opens up.
                  • 6. Re: No Color Keying on Mac CS4?
                    Level 1
                    Having done a few green screen projects in my time, here's my workflow...

To begin, do your entire edit first. Just use the PPro keyer to do rough keys, but save the real keying for later. Also, make sure you leave a bit of head and tail on your shots to be keyed - this may come in handy when/if you add transitions after final keying.

When you've locked your edit, create a folder called AE keyed projects (or whatever works for you).

Then, go to your first clip to be keyed, remove the PPro keying effect (if used) and right click on the clip and select "Replace with AE composition". This should open AE. Save the project with a name that identifys which clip it is (I usually use clip 1, clip 2, etc.) and save in the AE folder created - this helps keep track of the files if you need to go back and make adjustments. Use Keylight to key in the BG.

When done, switch back over to PPro and you should see the clip keyed on your timeline. Adjust the head and tail if needed.

Then go on to the next clip and repeat the process...

There are a couple ways to do this process - this is just mine.