9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2009 1:29 PM by blairhartley

Time Remapping

Level 1
      Has anyone ever used time remapping and an animated effect on the same clip. Even something as simple as an opacity change. My keyframes don't react when they should. They occur much later. Any ideas?
        • 1. Re: Time Remapping
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          A clip's keyframes can appear beyond the bounds of the clip. Move the Opacity to compensate for the Remapping.
          • 2. Re: Time Remapping
            Level 1
            Hi Jim. My keyframes are within the bounds of the clip. Original clip is 10 seconds. I set my clips new duration to lets say 5 seconds with time remapping and then set my two keyframes for opacity at 3 seconds 100% and then at the end of the clip 0%. The keyframe information seems to refer back to the original clips duration of 10 seconds and therefore doesn't even animate within my new 5 second duration. I don't have this problem when I simply adjust the speed of the clip or when using the rate stretch tool. Only with time remapping. I never had a problem with this with CS3.
            • 3. Re: Time Remapping
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              Yeah, what I'm suggesting is that you move the Opacity keyframes to compensate for the Remapping, even if you have to now place them outside the boundaries of the clip. Doesn't fix the problem, I know, but it may get the job done.
              • 4. Re: Time Remapping
                Level 1
                I'll give that a try. Thanks for your suggestion. It's too bad we have to work around the CS4 bugs. I'm running CS3 as well and the time remapping keyframe issue isn't there.
                • 5. Re: Time Remapping
                  Level 1
                  >I'll give that a try. Thanks for your suggestion. It's too bad we have to work around the CS4 bugs. I'm running CS3 as well and the time remapping keyframe issue isn't there.

Not to mention the Time Warp Bug. I love the results that achieves but you always have to nest the clip to make it work. PITA!
                  • 6. Re: Time Remapping
                    I have the same problem. But the rate stretch tool workaround works for me too. Many thanks!
                    • 7. Re: Time Remapping
                      Level 1
                      I have used the rate stretch tool as well. Adjusting the speed to a constant % also works but I like using the variable speed control of time remapping. With this bug and the new handling of AME, my next project will definately be with CS3.
                      • 8. Re: Time Remapping
                        Shao Lung Level 1

Here's what I found as a work-around; instead of using the time remapping tool FIRST, and then adjusting opacity or key-framing, adjust opacity and keyframing in your clip FIRST, then use remapping. It will work perfectly, and key (or opacity) just where you did it in the clip before adjusting time.

• 9. Re: Time Remapping
                          blairhartley Level 1

Prior to 4.1 Adobe acknowledged this was a bug and that it would be addressed in the 4.1 release.  Of course it wasn't.

Grumble over...

Rick: That works, but it's then hard to adjust the opacity after that.

The only workaround that I found to work reliably was to nest the time-remapped sequence.  And then apply the opacity - or whatever other key frames - to that time remapped clip.  This works well... the important thing is that you can adjust the opacity key frames and they will work entirely as expected.