9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2009 8:25 AM by Eric1138

New Feature - Unnecessary Feature?

Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3
      DV - NTSC and DV - PAL:

Standard 32kHz
      Widescreen 32kHz

The 32kHz preset in Premiere CS4 for both DV NTSC and PAL seems unnecessary to me. This is a non-professional format, and in my opinion should only be a preset included in Premiere Elements. I prefer Final Cut's approach, where you can create this preset if necessary in the "Capture Preset Editor".

I just returned from 8 days of intense live show stress. Premiere CS4 and Encore worked without any major issues. A couple of things I would like to see changed though. One is the capture audio and video setting at the top right of the video capture window. Since you get only one shot while recording a live show to disk when time constraints are in force, I would prefer a capture preference that you can check or enable that would provide a warning when capturing anything other than both audio and video together.

Next, I was noticing that in the Media Encoder, an option is provided where you can add Gaussian Blur to your entire video during export. I have no idea why anyone would want to do this unless it's a background used perhaps behind a greenscreen shot or something. In my opinion, if you want Gaussian Blur, you should apply it to a clip in the project BEFORE you export.
        • 1. Re: New Feature - Unnecessary Feature?
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          Since these "non-professional" sequence presets are causing such consternation, you could simply eliminate them (as I have). Assuming Windows, and assuming a 64-bit version (alter path accordingly, if not), head to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\Settings\SequencePresets" and (backup and) delete any presets you don't want. I do this with all PAL presets as well, since I never use them. Just makes for less twirling once you create a new project/sequence.

Any particular reason that you used PPro for your live capture, instead of OnLocation which I think would be a little more suited to the task? Not that you couldn't use PPro as you did, but OL is built for precisely that occasion. Glad everything worked for you, though--good to know the program will (probably) stand up in such a situation!

The Gaussian Blur option in AME is not what you're interpreting it as. It is basically the "new" noise filter. I couldn't tell you if it's anything different under the hood from the noise filter that was in CS3; my guess is that it's not. All the noise filter really seemed to do was add a bit of blur/smear to smush together rogue noise pixels. It was, and presume remains, marginally effective. Doing what you're suggesting would definitely be better achieved in post-production, pre-exporting.
          • 2. Re: New Feature - Unnecessary Feature?
            Curt Wrigley Level 4
            The Gaussian Blur filter in AME used to be called noise reduction. I think they simply relabeled to more accurately describe what it does.

It is useful in some circumstances with highly detailed scene being reduced in size to blur out the detail which in some cases gives a more pleasant final product especially for web viewing.

Curt
            • 3. Re: New Feature - Unnecessary Feature?
              Colin wrote:

"Any particular reason that you used PPro for your live capture, instead of OnLocation which I think would be a little more suited to the task? Not that you couldn't use PPro as you did, but OL is built for precisely that occasion. Glad everything worked for you, though--good to know the program will (probably) stand up in such a situation!"

It was a live show recorded directly to disks through two Sony DSR-1800's via their firewire ports into 2 computers (triple backup). One of the Sony decks was recording to DV cam tape as well just for safety. One recorded segment required non-stop recording to disk for 3 hours. One of the computers dropped frames. Probably the low-end chipset. The computer that did the best job had an Asus Maximus Formula Motherboard with a Q6600 processor and 4GB of RAM.

I agree that OnLocation is the program best suited to the job. I have used Premiere in the past for this, so I just stuck with what I know works reliably. I do need to take a closer look at OnLocation. Not being as familiar with OnLocation as I should be, my concern was one of recording and discovering after the fact that I had some feature set incorrectly, causing a disaster. For instance one of the less tech savvy guys at work captured around 2 hours (non-critical) only to discover that he had Premiere set to capture audio only, hence my last post where I stated a desire for a warning preference for audio only capture as opposed to features like Gaussian Blur in Media Encoder.
              • 4. Re: New Feature - Unnecessary Feature?
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                I agree that you should be familiar with equipment/software before you go into production, but do give OnLocation a whirl. It's excellent for the task of Live recording.
                • 5. Re: New Feature - Unnecessary Feature?
                  Jim:

Has OnLocation been reliable for you?
                  Are there any settings in OnLocation you are aware of that could cause a disaster if they are overlooked?
                  • 6. Re: New Feature - Unnecessary Feature?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    I used OnLocation from the CS3 suite for a production shoot recently. Worked flawlessly. CS4 is even better from a feature standpoint, but I haven't yet put it to real world use (though that may change this Wednesday).

There really aren't many settings in OnLocation. Read the Help file before use is the best advice I can give.
                    • 7. Re: New Feature - Unnecessary Feature?
                      Level 1
                      I've been using OnLocation CS4 since I got it last year, and it's been great...just about trouble free. It has crashed once or twice, but other then that - rock solid.
                      • 8. Re: New Feature - Unnecessary Feature?
                        shooternz Level 6
                        >It has crashed once or twice, but other then that - rock solid.

Brilliant!

AirBuses fall out of the sky occasionaly but apart from that ..they are rock solid.
                        • 9. Re: New Feature - Unnecessary Feature?
                          Level 1
                          If I use a program that literally has only crashed once or twice in the span of 5 months (after many, many hours of use), I'd say that's pretty solid. And the crashes didn't occur when I was recording so no data was lost.