6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2009 9:16 AM by the_wine_snob

Changing Audio Tracts

I import a video and drug it to the timeline. I now have the video on a tract and the audio on a tract. I want to move the audio to another tract so I can dissolve it over another audio tract from an existing video. I can't seem to drag the audio tract to another tract even in I unlink it or copy it. What am I doing wrong and how do get it onto another tract?

Thanks,
      RR
        • 1. Re: Changing Audio Tracts
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
          Make sure you have an empty track that matches the audio. Stereo audio can only go in stereo tracks, etc.
          • 2. Re: Changing Audio Tracts
            Harm Millaard Level 7
            b TRACT
            a large area of land or a major passage in the body or other continuous elongated anatomical structure.

Assuming the second, surgery would be required. Otherwise start reading the manuals, help file, study tutorials and study this link: How to ask questions the smart way
            • 3. Re: Changing Audio Tracts
              creig bryan-mUOxt4 Level 1
              tract: only an "r" away from tact.

Keep Smiling
              • 4. Re: Changing Audio Tracts
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                aresquare1,

As Jeff points out in post #1, the Audio "type" must match that of the Track, that you are attempting to place it on. Look at the Track "header" to the left of the Timeline and note the icons - 1 "speaker" for mono, 2 "speakers" for stereo, and "5.1" for 5.1 Audio.

Now, if you do not have the appropriate Track available, either drag your Audio below the Master, and the appropriate one will be made for you, or go to Sequence and choose Create Tracks. Alter the default dialog to create 1 Audio Track of the appropriate type, where ever you want it. Make sure to type in a 0 for Video Tracks. You can create your new Track someplace besides the "After Last Track," by targeting another Track and choosing "Before," or "After."

Good luck,

Gunt
                • 5. Re: Changing Audio Tracts
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  Here's the thing, Bill. The audio track he wants to drag it to already has an audio file in it. So if the issue really is the mono/stereo thing, creating new tracks won't solve the issue. He simply won't be able to put both audio clips on the same track.

The solution then would be to just overlap the two clips audio and apply a fade out/fade in to achieve the desired goal.
                  • 6. Re: Changing Audio Tracts
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Jim,

Your reading comprehension skills are better than mine. I had not picked up that he wanted to "overlap" them on the SAME Track. Thanks for that clarification. He can easily "overlap" them using 2 Tracks, which would be what I would do. Then, with some Volume Keyframing, he could control the exact Fade-Out/Fade-In of each.

Thanks for pointing this out to me,

Hunt