6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2009 8:20 AM by Curt Wrigley

Premiere CS4 is an insult to Mac users

Orytek Level 1
      Adobe's lack of compatability with avchd and Quicktime is a joke.
      Do they really think they can get away with a product that doesn't work?

I don't need to hear from the few Adobe and Windows apologists around here who can only state it is Apple's fault or "get a Windows box".

None of the intermediate codecs work in the timeline without stuttering. Mov. files whether they are DNxHD or ProRes or Cineform. They bring Premiere to it's knees on a Mac. AvcHD can't even sit in the timeline for 2 minutes without crashing. This is on 3.0ghz MacPro with 8gigs of memory.

Remember what happened a few years ago Adobe?

Apple: We're offering you several technologies that will make premiere much better. Please Use them.

Adobe: Microsoft doesn't offer these. We work to give parity to our software releases so your efforts don't help us

Apple: Well then would you at least give performance parity with the WIndows version?

Adobe: No real reason to. Windows is the future. Live with what you got.

Apple: Nearly half of your market is Macintosh users. If you don't do this you'll be sorry.

Adobe: How could we be sorry. We're the kings of video. Which current software company can change this?

Apple: We warned you... *introducing final cut pro*

Adobe: Holy crap... we just lost our Mac customers

Apple: Again... we warned you... many times.

Adobe: Holy crap, we're now starting to lose Windows customers to Final cut pro on Macintosh!!!

Apple: You only have yourselves to blame

Adobe: Ok... we're sorry. Here's the new Premiere you requested
      Problem is ... it's a half baked effort that isn't going to fly. I should have known better than to switch to Premiere/AE
        • 1. Re: Premiere CS4 is an insult to Mac users
          don solomon Level 1
          Yes,

Why would you switch from FCP and FCS if you are already on a Mac? It is a constant refrain on this forum that CS4 runs without problems on a Mac. Yes, I believed that like it was gospel :) :) :)
          • 2. Re: Premiere CS4 is an insult to Mac users
            Level 1
            > Adobe's lack of compatability with avchd and Quicktime is a joke.

Adding support for all these delivery codecs is moving the product in the
            wrong direction. I say, focus on rock-solid support for intermediate
            codecs, and dump all the others. Unfortunately, too many users demand
            support for HDV, AVCHD, and other codecs that were not designed for editing,
            and the top-heavy apple cart does what gravity demands.

Best,
            Christopher
            • 3. Re: Premiere CS4 is an insult to Mac users
              Orytek Level 1
              Exactly Christopher. When I realized I couldn't edit in any of the intermediate codecs without serious stuttering and inability to preview my work, I knew I was in trouble. It's obviously a quicktime problem but so what. iMovie handles ProRes HQ without a hiccup. Why cant Premiere at least handle one of the 3 or 4 intermediate QT codecs.
              • 4. Re: Premiere CS4 is an insult to Mac users
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                Adobe's philosophy has been to edit camera formats natively. This way, no waiting for Intermediate transcodes. Personally, I prefer the Adobe way, which seems to work very well with formats designed for proper editing, such as DV and DVCPRO HD.
                • 5. Re: Premiere CS4 is an insult to Mac users
                  Bob Ramage Level 1
                  I agree that better support for intermediate codecs would be a nice addition to PPro. In fact, it would be great if Adobe included one, as they briefly did with Cineform. Nonetheless, PPro's support for native HD formats is superior to FCP. I edit primary XDCAM EX footage on the Mac and it's great working with the original files and taking advantage of dynamic link with AE (which never left the Mac). If you prefer using intermediate codecs then I would go with FCS. Hopefully Adobe will improve support for 3rd party codecs in future.
                  • 6. Re: Premiere CS4 is an insult to Mac users
                    Curt Wrigley Level 4
                    I think it would be nice if FCP started supporting native file formats instead of having to convert everything to proprietary intermediate formats.

Curt