16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2009 8:07 AM by JoeBulleit

Fonts

Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
      In CS4 they did a huge change in Fonts.
      On of my favorites has gone, i forgot the name, FBI-something.
      Could someone help me out with the name so i can see if i can get it back some other way.
        • 1. Re: Fonts
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          Ann,

Just checked all of my fonts on all of my machines (one with ~13,000, though obviously not "installed"), and I cannot find any with "FBI" in the font name. Now, I've got only CS2 Production Studio & Premium Suite, nothing from CS3, so if it was one of the Adobe Open Type fonts from that suite, I'd likely not have it.

Do you recall if it was an OT font?

Sorry,

Hunt
          • 2. Re: Fonts
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant
            I just looked a my CS3 and found nothing like that. Are you sure that it was not something that was installed after CS3 was installed.

Take a look at this:
            http://www.urbanfonts.com/fonts.php?fontauthor=3478
            • 3. Re: Fonts
              Could also be Agent something its almost at the top of the list.
              • 4. Re: Fonts
                Found it in Pro2 which i just now installed on a notebook: Agency FB.
                Anyway thanks.
                • 5. Re: Fonts
                  Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  Ann, it is also in CS3.
                  • 6. Re: Fonts
                    Thanks, i was not sure, because i had both Pro 2 and CS3 on this machine. For CS4 i swithed to Vista 64 and would like to keep this machine as it is.
                    Why does Adobe do this stuff, leave things out you use. Same goes for the clipp effect...
                    • 7. Re: Fonts
                      Eddie Lotter Level 4

There is important information about fonts in the PPro ReadMe file. It might help.

Cheers
                      Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                      - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                      - Over 250 free tutorials
                      - Maintained by editors like you
                      Forum FAQ
                      • 8. Re: Fonts
                        Thanks, does not help me much, the font i wanted is not in CS4.
                        • 9. Re: Fonts
                          I am not sure what your problem is, I installed a special font in Windows and it therefore was available in CS3 and now also in CS4 with out doing anything special.
                          • 10. Re: Fonts
                            There is no problem i got it sorted. Just copied from Pro2 and installed.
                            It's frustrating when you've got a clean install with just CS4 (because it on a 64 bits machine) open an old project to find your font is missing....
                            • 11. Re: Fonts
                              Of course that had nothing to do with CS4, it was just a Windows problem
                              • 12. Re: Fonts
                                Eddie Lotter Level 4
                                >the font i wanted is not in CS4.

Interesting. I wonder why it was included in earlier versions.

I tend to keep a backup of all fonts that are important to me so that I can always install them if they go missing.

Cheers
                                Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                                - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                                - Over 250 free tutorials
                                - Maintained by editors like you
                                Forum FAQ
                                • 13. Re: Fonts
                                  (Redgum) Level 1
                                  Adobe and Microsoft are constantly changing fonts with upgrades which doesn't matter all that much unless you do a clean install. Backing up fonts is part of a regular backup routine.
                                  Particularly important if you're using special handwriting fonts etc that make your production standout.
                                  • 14. Re: Fonts
                                    JoeBulleit Level 1
                                    Has anyone had a problem with an installed font NOT showing up in the Titler? I imported a project from CS3 with 116 time lines. All have a title done with Arial Black. This font IS installed on my new laptop (Vista64) but does NOT show in the font list inside the Titler... Any ideas?
                                    • 15. Re: Fonts
                                      Level 1
                                      Check again - it should be listed under your Arial fonts in the titler. I had a project in CS3 using that same font style, and when I opened it in CS4, it changed them all to normal Arial - I went in and changed them all back.
                                      • 16. Re: Fonts
                                        JoeBulleit Level 1
                                        Thanks Eric, but that wasn't it. After a TON of research, I found the problem. In all, I had 472 fonts on my system, only 261 of which were showing as available to ANY Adobe app (PP, AE, PS, Illustrator), but all showed up to any Microsoft app (Word, Excel, etc).

Adobe uses a series of files named "Adobefnt*.lst" to manage available fonts. If anyone else has this problem, do a system wide search (in Vista, make sure you include system, hidden, and non-indexed locations) using the string above.

It will reveal several files (5-10). Delete them all, empty the recycle bin, then restart the Adobe App. It will rebuild the *.lst files, and all of your fonts will be there.

jb