11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2009 11:49 AM by Marvin Nauman

AVCHD 5.1 audio Help

Marvin Nauman Level 1
      I'm trying to audio sweeten some AVCHD SD 4:3 shot with 5.1 sound. (Big mistake... should have been Stereo which works fine for audio sweetining). Everything goes well in soundbooth till I try and save the 5.1 audio file. I get a "unknown compression or Unsupported destination rate, please choose your destination format and location". I've tried everything, and nothing works that gets the file linked back up to the video clip in PPCS4.

Somehow I got it to work once on a fluke. Don't know what I did.

How Can I get it to save correctly and work correctly in PP?

Note... I don't need 5.1 Stereo would be just fine. If I can convert it to get it to work... Great. But I haven't figured that out yet.
      (I have no problems with AVCHD SD 4:3 Stereo).
        • 1. Re: AVCHD 5.1 audio Help
          Marvin Nauman Level 1
          Well Marv... nobody wants to respond to you, so you better figure it out yourself.

Perhaps nobody has a clue what your talking about or never had to try and edit 5.1.

At any rate... good luck buddy.
          • 2. Re: AVCHD 5.1 audio Help
            Marvin Nauman Level 1
            Thanks Marv.

Your right. This sucks.
            The good news is that in a very rare moment I had 10 free hours to play and after tons of trying things, I resorted to converting (exporting) the footage to mpg2 stereo, and wala. Works.

Thanks for all the help Marv.
            • 3. Re: AVCHD 5.1 audio Help
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              The thing is, AVCHD and 5.1 camera audio are both very much consumer recording options, whereas Premiere is designed more for pros. So there's probably just not a lot of Premiere Pro users shooting in AVCHD with 5.1 audio. Mostly you'd find people making home movies doing that, and most of that crowd probably work with consumer software (or no software, as many probably just shoot and watch).
              • 4. Re: AVCHD 5.1 audio Help
                napynap Level 1
                Marv,

LOL to the creative self-response, wish I could help.
                • 5. Re: AVCHD 5.1 audio Help
                  Marvin Nauman Level 1
                  [...AVCHD and 5.1 camera audio are both very much consumer recording options,...Mostly you'd find people making home movies doing that, and most of that crowd probably work with consumer software (or no software, as many probably just shoot and watch).]

Jim... that has nothing to do with my post, and you missed the point. Stick to the subject, if you don't know, don't reply. Plus... it shows you can't back up what you say... so don't post what you can't back up.

We've been over this format war thing before.
                  Adobe spent big bucks to made CS4 handle AVCHD because of pros not consumers, and to try and take pro customers away from Vegas.
                  If you want to do a "Format War" thing... make your own post, but please get off your soapbox and don't clutter my post because your on an ego trip. You'll loose the war with this old salt.

I know a lot of pro's that know how to use AVCHD as a very effective tool and do as good as or better than the tools others use with tool that cost up to $5K. Like any tools... the good stuff comes from the real pros that know how to use the tool they have. In my case I've been in the buisness since 1980 when you had to be a teck to operate the camera... how about you?

I don't know how you have time for all the posts that you do.

Me... I'm too busy shooting the big jobs including broadcast, and smiling all the way to the bank (and yes, sometimes I do use other formats).
                  • 6. Re: AVCHD 5.1 audio Help
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    > Like any tools... the good stuff comes from the real pros that know how to use the tool they have. In my case I've been in the buisness since 1980 when you had to be a teck to operate the camera... how about you?

So where does that leave you? The real pros? Why are you asking this question then, if you are a real pro? Obviously, you haven't learned much since the '80.

A REAL PRO would never contemplate using the source material you do.
                    • 7. Re: AVCHD 5.1 audio Help
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >that has nothing to do with my post

Well, you seemed to wonder why there weren't more responses. I offered a possible explanation.

>I don't know how you have time for all the posts that you do.

I hate to sit and do nothing while I'm waiting for a render or an export, so I come here.
                      • 8. Re: AVCHD 5.1 audio Help
                        Marvin Nauman Level 1
                        In this case the client is paying me big bucks to edit footage they shot for a promo for the Company. It was not my call, but they pay well and are on the big board. Call it what you want... but I smile all the way to the bank, and it beats doing TV Commercials. I rest my case.
                        • 9. Re: AVCHD 5.1 audio Help
                          Marvin Nauman Level 1
                          Jim, I envy you.
                          My facility is on 2.5 acres with my house and I always have way to many things to do around here... not to mention getting up to speed on all the new CS4 stuff I picked up. Plus I'm trying to learn Dreamweaver and completely revamp my site.
                          • 10. Re: AVCHD 5.1 audio Help
                            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                            Well Marv i had to laugh at your monolog.
                            I do not edit 5.1 so i could not help you but you know mucking about yourself is usualy the best learning school.
                            Happy editing.
                            • 11. Re: AVCHD 5.1 audio Help
                              Marvin Nauman Level 1
                              Thanks, Ann. Yes I just couldnt resist. You have to have some fun once in a while.

Your right the best school is figuring out how to figure it out. Its just madening when your under the gun and dont have hours or days to figure it out on your own, if it isnt in the manuals.

But on the bright side in one scene, seeing those 5 audio waveforms was interesting, and seeing what tracks were picking up what sounds from where, got my brain going. Just for kicks, I took the two back L & R tracks, subtracted them from the 3 front tracks, and eliminated most of the crowd noise when the person on camera was speaking. Cool.