• 1. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I see it as a two month reprieve.
          • 2. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
            shooternz Level 6
            ...like being out on bail?
            • 3. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              More like Congress delaying the transition from HD back down to SD. (Yeah, I know. Why the hell would anyone want to do that in the first place?)
              • 4. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                Marvin Nauman Level 1
                Well I don't know... as it is now, adobe doesn't ship docs with products and expects us to post help on the form. Hummm... oviously these guys don't work in the real world and don't have editing deadlines in hours and can wait days for answers, and can spend hours at best getting the solutions that we really need in minutes. I posted two different questions several days ago and got NO Reply's or help.

I finally called teck support and they made the mistake of asking if I would fill a "How was your Adobe help at the help desk" form... and one of the questions was "Did you try the online help form first, and how was your experience?" Now that really made my day... you know I had fun with that one.

Marv.
                • 5. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                  > Well I don't know... as it is now, adobe doesn't ship docs with products and expects us to post help on the form.

Well, I just got a stack of manuals that looks like the telephone books for the whole state of New York to go through. Over 5000 printed pages of documentation for the Master Collection of CS4.
                  • 6. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                    shooternz Level 6
                    Harm - where did you get them from and what do they smell like?

Paint us a picture pleassssssee...

[inappropriate comment directed against another forum member deleted by forum host]
                    • 7. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                      shooternz Level 6
                      Sorry ... Jim ;-)

Guess this had nothing to do with my ping at the "Long wait til the forum is fixed" Thread.
                      • 8. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                        Marvin Nauman Level 1
                        Gee... mine only measures 6"
                        That is the best price break to buy them that way... the whole collection.

My problem has been to get up to speed relearning everything at once. Ouch. I don't envy you.

All those manuals look impressive when clients walk in if nothing else.
                        • 9. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                          Marvin Nauman Level 1
                          Say... talking about fixes... "Help" says I can un-subscribe to a thread... but I can't find the "un-subscribe" anywhere.

Help...!
                          • 10. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                            Marvin Nauman Level 1
                            Silly me... thinking I would find a good answer in Help. Un-subscribe is in the "Email" msg. Du...
                            • 11. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                              TradeWind Level 3
                              > More like Congress delaying the transition from HD back down to SD

To clarify, the US Congress moved the DTV transition date. Doesn't imply HDTV (although DTV is what makes HDTV possible, of course). SD can still be digital, and all the legislation was intended to do was cease analog broadcasts of any kind of television signal. So you'll still have a TON of people (like myself) receiving SD broadcasts, just not via analog transmission. At any rate, most stations are already sending their digital signals, it's just a matter of when they will kill off the analog transmissions (currently, it'll be June).

While on this note...any of you using wireless microphones that operate in the 692 MHz to 806 MHz frequency will need to get new equipment or contact your manufacturers about retooling your frequency before the cutover date in the United States. All part of this DTV legislation, and the FCC sounds pretty serious about enforcing the frequency licensing in that range once the cutover is completed.
                              • 12. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                                <<Jim Simon - 12:44am Feb 26, 09 PST (#3 of 11)

More like Congress delaying the transition from HD back down to SD.>>

my understanding is that the transition is from analog to digital - they don't have to do it in HD.
                                - joe
                                • 13. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  Yes, TV transmission will go from analog to digital, from SD to HD. My analogy reversed that scenario, as if things were going from HD back down to SD, from digital back down to analog, because I think the Adobe forums are already the best I've ever seen, and I think the 'new' version will be a step backwards.
                                  • 14. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                                    shooternz Level 6
                                    So far you are proved correct.
                                    • 15. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                                      Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                      > Adobe forums are already the best I've ever seen, and I think the 'new' version will be a step backwards.

Have you tried the adobe forums that were originally macromedia products? They are not very good, use separate credentials to log in. A revamp/consolidations of the forums is sorely needed and adobe has determined the old sw is not up to the task.

I say bring it on; lets move fwd.
                                      • 16. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                                        Forward is good. But from the information I have, I just don't think that is the direction the new forums will go.
                                        • 17. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                                          shooternz Level 6
                                          A for instance would be good Jim?

Meantime...I hope the efforts are going into CS4.xxx as a priority well ahead of the Forum fix.
                                          • 18. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                                            Gary Andrew
                                            From the example that has been posted and after reading the related posts, the new forum layout looks to my eyes at least to be a disaster in so many ways. I get a pretty big sarcastic laugh when I read at the top of the page

COMING SOON! Were updating Adobe Forums with some new features to create a better experience for everyone talk about spin
                                            • 19. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                                              TradeWind Level 3
                                              > Yes, TV transmission will go from analog to digital, from SD to HD

Sorry, that's still not exactly right. HD, while made possible with DTV digital transmission, is not analogous to DTV itself. Likewise, DTV is not exclusive of SD. So to say that we are going "from analog to digital, from SD to HD" is misleading.

Again, the digital TV adoption (DTV) includes digital SD as well as digital HD. You can expect many broadcasters to still broadcast SD programming for a while, especially old episodes of Mr. Ed and I Dream of Jeannie.

This wikipedia article (which includes the quote, "High-definition television (HDTV), one of several different formats that can be transmitted over DTV...") will help clarify the distinction much better than I can.
                                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_television

Also keep in mind that in the US at least, this only affects full-power broadcast stations. Lower power stations haven't had a cut over date set yet.

Hope that clears it up.
                                              • 20. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                >A for instance would be good Jim?

Gary's post covers that.

>that's still not exactly right. HD, while made possible with DTV digital transmission, is not analogous to DTV itself.

That's not quite the point, Christian. Specifics aside, I was using the current television transition as an example, and reversing it, as if things were going in the opposite direction they actually are. It was just an analogy.
                                                • 21. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                                                  shooternz Level 6
                                                  >But from the information I have, I just don't think that is the direction the new forums will go.

Sorry. I thought you were privvy to something else. Thought maybe you were a beta tester. :-)
                                                  • 22. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                                                    [quote] ...Adobe doesn't ship docs with products and expects us to post help on the form. Hummm... obviously these guys don't work in the real world and don't have editing deadlines in hours and can wait days for answers, and can spend hours at best getting the solutions that we really need in minutes. I posted two different questions several days ago and got NO Reply's or help.
                                                    [/quote]

CS3 comes with a stack of user guides -- it weighs around 20 lbs.
                                                    CS4 user docs are online and weigh nothing. They're at:
                                                    http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/premierepro_cs4_help.pdf
                                                    • 23. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                                                      TradeWind Level 3
                                                      > It was just an analogy.

It was just bad information from a guy who is not typically known for it on these forums, even in passing. Just trying to correct you on a point, regardless of the relevance to this post. Not trying to hijack the thread much as you might have implied.
                                                      • 24. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                                                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                        There are often different degrees of accuracy required in a conversation. My analogy simply didn't require as much as you're offering. I'm not suggesting you were wrong in the details, just that they were not necessary to understand the point I was trying to make. Bringing them up is what people mean by "missing the forest for the trees".

Makes sense?
                                                        • 25. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                                                          TradeWind Level 3
                                                          All fine and good, I'm just saying that when a video professional in a video-related forum makes a gaffe regarding a video-specific issue such as the difference between ATSC and HDTV - whether in passing or in purpose - it undercuts the professionalism of the poster. At any rate, what good is an analogy if it isn't at least accurate?

At any rate, yes, your intention was clear (obvious), it was the delivery that required tweaking. If it was a simple grammatical or other communication error I would not have even made mention of it. This is the Internet, after all - the land of ALL CAPS shouting, wrds u cnt undrstnd and other verbal failures. However, you were discussing not only a presently important issue for both professional and consumer alike, but also one that requires understanding of the subtle degrees of differentiation in format and delivery. Though your intention was clear, the appearance seemed to imply that you didn't understand the underlying material that you were referencing.

Now do you see where I am coming from?
                                                          • 26. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                            >At any rate, what good is an analogy if it isn't at least accurate?

It's as good as it's understood. You seemed to understand it, yes?

>you were discussing not only a presently important issue for both professional and consumer alike, but also one that requires understanding of the subtle degrees of differentiation in format and delivery.

Actually, no. I was discussing these forums. That's all.

>Now do you see where I am coming from?

I always did. Then as now, I find the clarification of TV standards unnecessary to the discussion of these forums.
                                                            • 27. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                                                              joshtownsend Level 2
                                                              I think Premiere CS4 is somehow spreading a virus into the users making angry, defensive, self-righteous and prone to fighting. I've scanned the AE and PS forums and find nothing like the bitterness in these forums (which I used to contribute to till I got over it)

Where's the Watchmen when you need them......
                                                              • 28. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                Josh,

You may be onto something. I've observed similar. First, I thought it was just phases of the Moon, but it's gone on too long for that. I could possibly come up with a dozen other "possibilities," like the economy, but your virus idea sounds good.

I guess that it will be up to Jeff Bellune to instill some humor (humour for those following along at home in the UK) back into the forum. Maybe everyone is still ticked that JerryK and KingL got lives outside of these fora.

Still waiting to see what the new forum experience will be like. I'll cast my vote, when the time comes. Until then, I'm with Jim on liking how things are now, but will just have to wait. I *guess* that it *could* get better, but am not sure how.

In the meantime, let's head over to the Lounge for some good laughs... Jeff said that he was going to redecorate.

Hunt

PS the idea of "laughs" is not directed at the redecoration project - just so we're all clear on that.
                                                                • 29. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                                                                  Eddie Lotter Level 4
                                                                  >PS the idea of "laughs" is not directed at the redecoration project - just so we're all clear on that.

Suuuure. And you can be sure Jeff's next book will not be dedicated to you. :P

Cheers
                                                                  Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                                                                  - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                                                                  - Over 250 free tutorials
                                                                  - Maintained by editors like you
                                                                  Forum FAQ
                                                                  • 30. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                                                                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                                                    You better not laugh - my wife spent all of last weekend hemming those new curtains.
                                                                    • 31. Re: Long wait til the Forum is "fixed"
                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                      Eddie,

If the redecoration is half as good as Jeff's book is, I'm looking forward to it!

Better get back to work, before Jeff has to boot this TO the Lounge...

Hunt