7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2009 12:10 PM by (Josh_Weiland)

Ultimate Hardware Question

Level 1
      looking over many of the posts about problems with CS4, it seems that one should install it
      (1)first of all on a newly formatted system (whether XP, Vista, 32 or 64 bit).

(2) secondly it sounds like the video card makes a big difference and I can only assume that those listed by Adobe as fully tested are the only ones which should be used.

(3) third would be system hardware and I'm again assuming that there should be at least a single dual core 2.5Ghz or faster and at least 4 gigs of RAM.

I would love to hear from anyone who would like to contradict the above or add to it. If you have a fully functioning and never crashing PP CS4 and you have successfully edited something longer than 10 minutes, output to tape, sent to AME and to Encore (and they don't crash) please list your system specs and which G-d you pray to (latter is optional). if you do HD as well as SD that would be good to know. I'm about to get a new computer (for editing DVCAM and HDV) and would really like to take advantage of some of the new things in CS4 -- if not I'll stick with earlier versions.

thanks, Joey

P.S. Adobe should be more forthcoming about system specs which work, or should not release. For example Avid has very specific recommendations for components (even the 1394 card) and specific HP, Dell and Apple models and will not give tech support to systems which do no comply. Maybe because Photoshop and some other Adobe apps are so rock solid they got lazy --- video editing is another bag and we need to know what's what.
        • 1. Re: Ultimate Hardware Question
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I violated all three of your points above. CS4 hasn't crashed yet. I don't go out to tape, and because it's still a trial, I can't use Encore. But I have successfully used AME, both as a stand alone and through Premiere, for content up to an hour with MB Looks effects applied.

In fact, 2.0 will often crash on me if I try such an export. I have to do it in smaller chunks. CS4 actually works better for me than 2.0.

I only work with DV.
          • 2. Re: Ultimate Hardware Question
            Level 1
            Jim, did you do a fresh OS install before installing CS4? also, what video card do you have?
            - joe
            • 3. Re: Ultimate Hardware Question
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              The OS was reinstalled last November and regularly updated, so by the time I installed CS4 a couple weeks ago, I'd hardly call it "clean". The entire 2.0 suite, as well as other video production apps, were installed already.

The GPU is an X1650Pro.
              • 4. Re: Ultimate Hardware Question
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                OK, a 1h 40m project with Looks 1.1 applied to the entire sequence just successfully exported out through AME. That has never happened before in 2.0. At best I can get maybe a 20 minute export before 2.0 crashes. I normally have to do it in chunks. So for me, CS4 seems even more stable.
                • 5. Re: Ultimate Hardware Question
                  joshtownsend Level 2
                  Jim, your kidding right? How did you deal with 2.0 your years and only be able to export 20 min of video without crashing. Especially using DV...that is ridiculous.
                  • 6. Re: Ultimate Hardware Question
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    Not my favorite thing either. But any render with Looks applied over about 20 minutes crashes in 2.0. I've been having to render out segments using Lagarith, then bring them in and put them on V2 so I can render out an MPEG with chapter markers for Encore. PITA it is. That's why I'm stoked CS4 doesn't crash.

Now if only MB would get Colorista working...
                    • 7. Re: Ultimate Hardware Question
                      Level 1
                      JoeyK,

1. I'm running CS4 on a newly-built (therefore newly-formatted) Vista Ultimate 64-bit system. Got the system built a couple weeks ago, didn't want to install CS3 alongside, BUT had a big project due yesterday. I took a chance and installed CS4 (even after reading all the horror stories here), and thankfully haven't had any major issues (some output probs, I'll mention below).

2. I've got a Radeon HD4850. I don't think GPU has much bearing in Premiere, but definitely helps in After Effects and Photoshop.

3. I'm running an Intel i7 920 quad-core, 3GB of DDR3 RAM (soon upgrading to 12GB), plenty of SATA drives in RAID0.

This project is an 80 minute wedding edit, editing natively in HDV. I don't ever export to tape, but I've exported to Blu-ray compatible HD MPEG2 and DVD MPEG2 using AME. I've not encountered any crashes between Premiere/After Effects/Encore.

I DO have a problem with outputting to DVD. I exported the BD-compatible MPEG2 first and imported into an Encore Blu-ray project. After creating my Blu-ray, I also wanted to export a SD DVD version; the downscaled DVD-compliant transcode Encore made looked like garbage, pixelated.

I then tried exporting a SD DVD MPEG2 directly from Premiere using AME. It has the same pixelated look to it.

Looking on the forums, I discovered an option called "Maximum Render Quality" in AME. I exported again from Premiere with this option enabled...and it's been rendering for 11hrs, only about halfway thru the footage! It is only using about 60% of my CPU, whereas rendering in Premier/Encore/AME without MRQ enabled used all four cores at 100%.

So I (and my clients!) hope that when it's done rendering I'll have a watchable SD version. No idea why it's not using 100% CPU power.

So that's been my experience! If Adobe doesn't fix this, I may have to look back into Cineform's products.