24 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2008 9:42 AM by Newsgroup_User

Confused about link to ,jpg

Paevo Kelley Level 2
      I am confused: I post a link on my website for a client to view and/or download a mockup ,jpg. However, when you click on the link, it simply opens up in the browser window. How can I make it so the traditional "Open or Save" panel appears?

http://www.nonpareil-design.com/mockups
        • 1. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
          Level 7
          change this:

Completed Design Templates

Please click on the link(s) below to view your completed design templates.

to this:

Completed Design Templates

Please Right-click on the link(s) below and Save to your computer's hard
          drive.

--
          Alan
          Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 2. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Tell them to right click the link to see a pop-up window of options
            • 3. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
              ISNUMERIC
              because your linking to a file which the browser recognises and is able to render then its going to display this way. You could advise your client to either right click on the image and then "save" or you can right click on the link and "save target as"
              • 4. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
                ISNUMERIC Level 1
                sorry guys

you beat me to it
                • 5. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
                  Paevo Kelley Level 2
                  Thanks, guys; the right-click option is a great workaround. But why, exactly, doesn't left-clicking the file open that panel that says "Save" "Open" or "Cancel"?
                  • 6. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
                    Level 7

"Paevo Kelley" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:g96icv$5ek$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Thanks, guys; the right-click option is a great workaround. But why,
                    > exactly, doesn't left-clicking the file open that panel that says "Save"
                    > "Open" or "Cancel"?

I guess the same reason that clicking on an html file (page.htm) doesn't
                    open that panel, but instead displays the page. That's what a browser is
                    for.

--
                    Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
                    Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                    Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                    --

• 7. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
                      Read the reply from AXEmonster... that is just how it works
                      • 8. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
                        Level 7
                        It's because the server KNOWS about image files and serves them with a mime
                        type that says to the requesting computer "open this in your browser". You
                        can use server scripting to change the mime type, which would then, per
                        force, cause the Open Save Cance prompt.

--
                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                        ==================
                        http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        ==================

news:g96icv$5ek$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Thanks, guys; the right-click option is a great workaround. But why,
                        > exactly, doesn't left-clicking the file open that panel that says "Save"
                        > "Open" or "Cancel"?

• 9. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
                          Paevo Kelley Level 2
                          "that is just how it works"

Dang!...
                          • 10. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
                            Level 7
                            It's so simple. 8)

--
                            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                            Adobe Community Expert
                            ==================
                            ==================

news:g96jsc$70g$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            > "that is just how it works"
                            >
                            > Dang!...

• 11. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
                              Paevo Kelley Level 2
                              Thanks, Murray; was always curious about Multimedia Internet Mail Extensions...
                              • 12. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
                                Level 7
                                You can force a download of any file by modifying its mime type in your
                                server scripting.

--
                                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                Adobe Community Expert
                                ==================
                                ==================

news:g96ke3$7ka$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                > Thanks, Murray; was always curious about Multimedia Internet Mail
                                > Extensions...

• 13. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
                                  Level 7

news:g96jsc$70g$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  > "that is just how it works"
                                  >
                                  > Dang!...

Would you want to visit a typical Web page with 8 JPEG images, and instead
                                  of seeing them, see only text and a right-click menu of "Save" options??
                                  :-)

--
                                  --

• 14. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
                                    Level 7
                                    Paevo Kelley escreveu:
                                    > I am confused: I post a link on my website for a client to view and/or download
                                    > a mockup ,jpg. However, when you click on the link, it simply opens up in the
                                    > browser window. How can I make it so the traditional "Open or Save" panel
                                    > appears?
                                    >
                                    > http://www.nonpareil-design.com/mockups
                                    >
                                    ---------
                                    This question is not absolutely new.
                                    It makes some time, someone, asked about how to force the download of a
                                    pdf file.

Searching on the web, I found a GPL php script that does this quite well
                                    and may be extended for a large portion of mime types.

There are some minor security problems in it, but it can be repaired easily.

This script can be obtained at the below address:

http://www.educar.pro.br/public/

-----
                                    ex-corde,
                                    zerof
                                    • 15. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
                                      Paevo Kelley Level 2
                                      "Would you want to visit a typical Web page with 8 JPEG images, and instead
                                      of seeing them, see only text and a right-click menu of "Save" options?? "

I see your point, Patty. It seems, though, that the ability to view the .jpg in the browser window as if it were simply another html page is relatively new...
                                      • 16. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
                                        If you use the IMG command in your link, the picture will automatically display

If you simply use a URL in your link, you need to click the link... but, as far as I know, clicking that link will (always has in my several years of experience) make the picture display, not pop up an option window

The only way to get an option window on a picture link is to right click
                                        • 17. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
                                          Level 7
                                          > It seems, though, that the ability to view the .jpg
                                          > in the browser window as if it were simply another html page is relatively
                                          > new...

Huh?

--
                                          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                          Adobe Community Expert
                                          ==================
                                          ==================

news:g96s32$fgs$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                          > "Would you want to visit a typical Web page with 8 JPEG images, and
                                          > instead
                                          > of seeing them, see only text and a right-click menu of "Save" options?? "
                                          >
                                          > I see your point, Patty. It seems, though, that the ability to view the
                                          > .jpg
                                          > new...
                                          >
                                          >

• 18. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
                                            Level 7
                                            > The only way to get an option window on a picture link is to right click

No. You can sure add some server scripting to force the download.

--
                                            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                            Adobe Community Expert
                                            ==================
                                            ==================

"John T Smith" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                            news:g96td5$gtl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                            > If you use the IMG command in your link, the picture will automatically
                                            > display
                                            >
                                            > If you simply use a URL in your link, you need to click the link... but,
                                            > as
                                            > far as I know, clicking that link will (always has in my several years of
                                            > experience) make the picture display, not pop up an option window
                                            >
                                            > The only way to get an option window on a picture link is to right click
                                            >

• 19. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
                                              Level 7

> instead
                                              >
                                              > .jpg
                                              > new...

hmm no, it's always been that way.

• 20. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
                                                Paevo Kelley Level 2
                                                "Huh?"

Ah, well, wrong again... Though I don't remember in the past it being so easy to open a jpg in a browser... Faulty memory, I suppose...
                                                • 21. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
                                                  Level 7
                                                  Yeah - always been that way.

--
                                                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                  Adobe Community Expert
                                                  ==================
                                                  ==================

news:g96vmf$j7b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                  > "Huh?"
                                                  >
                                                  > Ah, well, wrong again... Though I don't remember in the past it being so
                                                  > easy to open a jpg in a browser... Faulty memory, I suppose...

• 22. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
                                                    Level 7

> instead
                                                    >
                                                    > .jpg
                                                    > new...

No, it's been that way for years and years.

--
                                                    --

• 23. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
                                                      Level 7

news:g96vmf$j7b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                      > "Huh?"
                                                      >
                                                      > Ah, well, wrong again... Though I don't remember in the past it being so
                                                      > easy to open a jpg in a browser... Faulty memory, I suppose...

Yup, faulty memory. It never has been otherwise.

--
                                                      --

• 24. Re: Confused about link to ,jpg
                                                        Level 7
                                                        P@tty Ayers ~ACE posted in macromedia.dreamweaver:

> "Paevo Kelley" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                                        > news:g96vmf$j7b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                        >> "Huh?"
                                                        >>
                                                        >> Ah, well, wrong again... Though I don't remember in the past it being so
                                                        >> easy to open a jpg in a browser... Faulty memory, I suppose...
                                                        >
                                                        > Yup, faulty memory. It never has been otherwise.

In fact, that was the only way to see images while browsing the WWW before
                                                        the NCSA Mosaic browser added support for graphics, videos, sound, - and
                                                        mouse support! - and became popular.

Yes, I am that ancient in 'net years.

--
                                                        Mark A. Boyd
                                                        Keep-On-Learnin' :)