9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2009 8:10 AM by Eddie Lotter

Vegas User-Can I do this?

Having used Sony Vegas for such a long time, there are some features that I really wish I could find, if they are in Premiere. In Vegas, dragging two clips together, video or audio, automatically creates a crossfade that you can see very easily across the frames. In Premiere, it seems that this is only available as an effect that you have to add between two clips and this adds time to the front and back of my trim points. Am I missing something in Premiere that would make this process simpler?
      Thanks,
      Ben
        • 1. Re: Vegas User-Can I do this?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          No, things like that pretty much have to be done manually. The exception is if you use the Automate to Sequence feature (details available in the Help file).
          • 2. Re: Vegas User-Can I do this?
            Curt Wrigley Level 4
            You can select any number of edit points and paste the transition to them all at once also.

I believe Premiere Elements has the wizard type approach if you need that.

But; its usually better to lay down your edit (even for stills) as cust only to perfect the timing then add tranisions as a later step. "If if dont work as a cut, it wont work as a twirling box transition either"

With CS4, pasting transitions to any # of edit points makes this very easy and fast.

Curt
            • 3. Re: Vegas User-Can I do this?
              joshtownsend Level 2
              I miss that Vegas feature sooooo much. There are workarounds but it just plain worked in Vegas. Don't want the auto fades....just turn thwm off. Too simple for Adobe I guess....

Especially usefull for audio editing where your more likely to want fade in\outs than not.
              • 4. Re: Vegas User-Can I do this?
                Level 1
                Thanks guys, I agree about the cuts and don't use transitions. But for interviews where I'm splicing sentences together, I use a ~10 frame crossfade a lot. I'm just noticing that dropping an effect on my cut and then trimming the effect is a lot of work. I guess Josh was right, it's more of an audio issue than anything else. I agree that Premiere is a far superior program but there are some relatively simple features of Vegas that make it a very organic experience and I just need to get on the Adobe bus.
                • 5. Re: Vegas User-Can I do this?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  You can change the default length of the audio crossfade to 10 frames under Preferences>General.
                  • 6. Re: Vegas User-Can I do this?
                    Colin Brougham Level 6
                    Ben,

Another thing you can do to fine tune those edits once you add the dissolve (I assume you're getting little audio blips from the outgoing and incoming media) is to ripple edit the clips' transitions a few frames. First, hit 'S' to turn off snapping, and then with the selection tool active ('V'), hover over the transition point and hold down the Control key. The usual trim cursor will temporarily turn into the ripple edit tool. When it's open to the left, you're trimming outgoing frames, and when it's open to the right, you're trimming incoming frames. When you click and drag, especially with snapping turned off, you'll be able to cut away the rogue audio blips and simultaneously "suck in" all of the following media--in other words, your transition will stay in place and no gap will be created. You can also drag the in-point and the out-point of the transition, as well as the whole transition itself, to fine tune its position, and get a perfect audio transition.

As Jim suggested, I'd start by setting the default audio crossfade duration, then select all clips in the timeline and use the "Add Default Transitions to Selection" under the Sequence menu item. Note that this will add video cross dissolves as well, unless...

Use the track select tool ('A') and then Alt+click at the beginning of your sequence over the first clip on the audio track. This will select all the proceeding audio clips in the timeline, and ONLY the audio clips--if you don't Alt+click, you'll select both audio and video. Then, use the "Add Default Transitions to Selection" command, and you'll add only the audio crossfades, and not video dissolves.
                    • 7. Re: Vegas User-Can I do this?
                      Level 1
                      Thanks guys, I think my best solution has been to use a lot of keyboard shortcuts and a few of my favorites have been Ctrl+D and Shift+Ctrl+D for adding default video/audio transitions. I completely agree that Premiere lets me do a lot more with my project, it just means I have to change the way I look at editing. When I say Vegas was more organic, a good example is that all the tracks on the timeline could be shifted up or down, it's weird to see this big line with video on top and audio on the bottom. Little quirky things like that. I've got another question about timecode but I'll post it separately.
                      Thanks,
                      Ben
                      • 8. Re: Vegas User-Can I do this?
                        Curt Wrigley Level 4
                        Have you tried pasting transition to a selection?
                        • 9. Re: Vegas User-Can I do this?
                          Eddie Lotter Level 4

What Curt is referring to is selecting more than one clip on the timeline and then pasting the transition to the selection.

You will also find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
                          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                          - Over 250 free tutorials
                          - Maintained by editors like you
                          Forum FAQ