3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2009 7:27 AM by Eddie Lotter

Premiere to After Effcts Workflow Problems

Hi all....I am very confused with how to get a steady and clear workflow between after effects and premiere in cs4.

I've made my edit in premiere and its on one time line as little clips.
      I've tried copying and pasting the clip into AE which works, I apply the effects (like colour balance etc) paste back into Pr....and it doesn't paste properly, theres a large white square where the effect should be, almost like premiere doesn't know the layers of AE.

Then I tried dynamic link which actually works.....until I reopened the premiere file today and the 2 clips I'd applied effects to where red with a message saying 'media offline'
      The project>link option is faded out by the way!

I have to open AE open the file where I did the effects, and then go back to premiere and goto file>adobe dynamic link>import after effects composition....and then select my file to retrieve the clips and get rid of the message.
      So then I save reopen and same problem.....there has to be a way of keeping the editied clips in premiere??????????

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Arvind!
        • 1. Re: Premiere to After Effcts Workflow Problems
          joshtownsend Level 2
          I think your confusing cut and paste with dynamic link. Import the AE comp into premiere, then drag the AE project file into your timeline don't copy and paste the clips. Dynamic link only works by replacing your clips with the AE project. No more copy and pasting and no more being able to edit multiple clips in Premiere once you do dynamic link.

Screw dynamic link unless your using it only a few times in your project because you need to lock your cut.

Open AE - import - premiere pro project then whatever you have to do.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but it's the best way around your problems.
          • 2. Re: Premiere to After Effcts Workflow Problems
            Level 1
            Thanks for the help John, your method seems to be working quite well, just do all the effects needed and import bck into Pr.
            Although, my cross disolves dont seem to work when I re-import the sequence from AE into Pr.
            I end up making a slice in the time line, putting the clip onto another video track and overlapping slightly to make the cross disolve work.....dip to black and additive disolve work just fine.
            Only a small problem with an easy enough work around though!

Thanks again

Arvind!
            • 3. Re: Premiere to After Effcts Workflow Problems
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

You will also find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
              Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
              - Over 300 frequently answered questions
              - Over 250 free tutorials
              - Maintained by editors like you
              Forum FAQ