4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2009 1:35 PM by (John_Ing)

Custom Pixel Aspect Ratios

I am trying to create a custom pixel aspect ratio using the Interpretation Rules.txt file. Whenever I try this and save me new custom PAR it never shows up when I try to convert my footage to that PAR. This is what it looks like:

# only adds a custom pixel aspect ratio to the UI
      # uncomment the next line to try it out
      *, *, *, *, * = 1364/1000/"HDV to DV AR", *, *, *

Am I doing something wrong, I am confused why I don't get an option from the drop down box inside the interpret footage window that reads, "HDV to DV AR" (1.364)
        • 1. Re: Custom Pixel Aspect Ratios
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I can't help with the problem, but I am curious why you're attempting it.
          • 2. Re: Custom Pixel Aspect Ratios
            Level 1
            It is the best method of getting my HDV video to appear the same size as my DV video in a widescreen DV timeline. I can do thinks like zooming in or changing the timeline aspect ratio to 1.333 but even then I have to change the PAR on both video for it to match and it changes the HDV a good amount. If i could just get this method to work it would be so easy. I don't understand why it is so hard to just make a custom pixel aspect ratio. It should be an easy thing to do.
            • 3. Re: Custom Pixel Aspect Ratios
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              Changing to an unusual PAR will probably give you an error when trying to export.
              When you have finished editing your footage you can nest your timeline in a new timeline and scale it up to 103% after setting scale to framesize. Or scale it down t0 55% with no scale to framesize on.
              You can also edit in hdv mode and crop off 14 pixel of top and bottom in the export settings when delivering to dvd-mpeg.
              • 4. Re: Custom Pixel Aspect Ratios
                Level 1
                Regardless of why I am doing it, the function does not work. This should be brought to the attention of Adobe. It should create a new aspect ratio and it does not. It says it will generate a new one in the UI but it does not appear. Maybe I am doing it wrong, or maybe Adobes software is just lying to me.