6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2009 8:15 AM by (jaxim)

Bright Red in Video Bleeds

Level 1
      I have a few seconds of video where I display something BRIGHT fire-engine red moving and it sort of bleeds what appears to be interlaced lines. This only happens when I play the exported video; I cannot see this effect when I view the clip frame by frame in the preview window.

Does anyone know why this may be happening and how to rectify it? I'll try to tone down the red color with a filter, but I'd like to save that as a last resort.
        • 1. Re: Bright Red in Video Bleeds
          don solomon Level 1
          How about more information. Footage source, format,etc, at least. The more specific you are, the more likely you will get an answer that addresses your specific case. But , while you are waiting, why not bring it down to normal levels to see if that fixes it. Then, if it does, bump it up in increments until it goes sour on you. Strike a balance between what you want and what you can get that will work best.
          • 2. Re: Bright Red in Video Bleeds
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            Switch the program monitor to RGB Parade and bring down the red so that it's not clipping.
            • 3. Re: Bright Red in Video Bleeds
              Level 1
              okay, I toned down the saturation levels to the point that the red was very dull and i still have this interlaced bleeding problem. When the clip has no filters or filters applied to it, it has the same issues.

The footage was filmed at 30p in a 60i AVCHD wrapper by the Canon HF100 camcorder. The footage is in a 30p sequence/timeline. Other clips within the same sequence look PERFECT. I had originally thought the problem may be due to the hot colors, but after toning down the levels, it would seem that this may not be the case.
              • 4. Re: Bright Red in Video Bleeds
                don solomon Level 1
                Have you output a segment containing the bleeding from the original footage straight from the camera to a monitor? That test would tell you whether it was a camera hiccup or a CS4 caused problem.
                • 5. Re: Bright Red in Video Bleeds
                  Level 1
                  yes I did and no distortions. I used Cyberlink PowerDVD to play my videos. I played the original source file and it seemed okay.

Because I tried toning down the red, I no longer think it's a bleeding issue. But I am unsure what the problem is.

Another thing... The distortion only shows up when playing the video. When I stop the video and look at the video frame by frame, the distortion is not there. Which makes me think it's some kind of frame based playing problem.

Would it be helpful if I posted an image of what the distortion looks like?
                  • 6. Re: Bright Red in Video Bleeds
                    Level 1
                    I found a thread that talks about the same problem that I am experiencing, but because I'm a real novice, I'm not sure how to implement the solution that they suggest as it relates to Premiere Pro.

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic341545.html

If anyone knows how to fix this in Premiere Pro, I would be much appreciative.
                    :-)

Here is one of the comments from the thread. Hit the link for more info...

"h.264, like most MPEG based encoders, uses 4:2:0 (4:1:1 ratio) subsampling. The color planes are stored at half the resolution of the luminance plane. This will cause blurring at sharp colored edges and is why you don't see the problem with grayscale images. I don't know if you can force 4:4:4 (the best) or 4:2:2 subsampling instead. I checked it out -- according to Wikipedia the h.264 spec does support 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 subsampling. I don't know about ffmpegx

In addition to this, I think you have the famous chroma upsampling error somewhere in your chain:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_2/dvd-benchmark-special-r ... -2001.html

The color difference is probably a matter of rec.601 vs rec.709 colorspaces. Or maybe a disagreement on whether the luma range should be converted between the 16-235 range used in video, and the 0-255 range used on computers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luma_(video) "