8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2009 11:42 AM by Jim_Simon

4 Gb memory vs 6 GB memory for Premiere

Level 1
      Hi guys,

I read on another forum this morning, something I thought a bit strange, and thought I would ask about it.

Somebody was saying that if you have 4 gb of ram memory installed in your computer it will work in the default dual-channel.

However, if you add another 2 GB to the existing 4 GB, so you have a total of 6 GB in your computer, that this now creates a situation where the ram will work in single-channel, and actually make the RAM slow down.

I find this a bit strange, I've never heard of this, and so I'm asking if you think there is any truth to this ?

Dave.
        • 1. Re: 4 Gb memory vs 6 GB memory for Premiere
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I suppose that will depend more on the memory modules and motherboard you're using than anything else.

What I can say is that 6GB is not typical for dual channel memory. Usually it's 1, 2, 4, 8, etc. 6GB of installed RAM is something you'd see more using a new Core i7 processor, which has a triple channel memory controller built-in. So you'd typically see quantities of 3GB, 6GB, 12GB, etc.
          • 2. Re: 4 Gb memory vs 6 GB memory for Premiere
            Level 1
            Hi Jim,

Thanks for the information. I read a few more posts since I posted here, and indeed, what you say is right in line with what the poster added.

You impress me Jim, with your knowledge of the new Core i7, because what you indicate about the triple channel, is what the other poster talks about also.

Well, I'm going to stay away from from any system that has 6 gb of ram memory, it will either be 4 or 8.

P.S. - Supposedly Premiere CS4 supports up to 16 cores, but I was on their site and checking the specs and can't find anything on that, I also googled a bit, and can't find anything about it even supporting 4 cores. I'm still debating on going with a dual core @ 2.40 ghz @1066 fsb, vs a quad core @ 2.0 ghz ( also 1066 fsb )

Decisions decisions.

Dave.
            • 3. Re: 4 Gb memory vs 6 GB memory for Premiere
              joshtownsend Level 2
              Wait a minute 6 gigs of ram is better than four gigs no matter the processor as long as your running a 64 bit OS.

Say you have 4 ram slots. Two 2-gig sticks and 2 one-gig sticks. There's nothing a matter with that. But if you were new it would be only 20 bucks more to get 4 two gig sticks. That's why you see it 2,4,8.

Just saying nothing wrong having six gigs as long as they are properly paired up.

Also buy a quad-core man. For video editing it will be way faster than a duel core.
              • 4. Re: 4 Gb memory vs 6 GB memory for Premiere
                Level 1
                Hi Josh,

just reading on another forum that even if the OS is 64 bit, 6 gb of ram will still be running in single-channel mode,
                but yes, you are right, the 6 gb would still be a benefit.

As for the Quad, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and
                go for that.

Not the fastest quad for a laptop ( it's the QX9000 ) running at 2.00 Ghz, - the QX9300 runs at 2.53 Ghz, however there is a big big diff in $ at this point between the 2 chips.

Thanks for the info.

Dave.
                • 5. Re: 4 Gb memory vs 6 GB memory for Premiere
                  joshtownsend Level 2
                  "just reading on another forum that even if the OS is 64 bit, 6 gb of ram will still be running in single-channel mode"

Now your reading on this message board that as long as they are paired the exact amount doesn't matter.
                  • 6. Re: 4 Gb memory vs 6 GB memory for Premiere
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    It could, Josh. Whether memory runs in dual channel or single will depend on the memory used, the motherboard's capabilities, the slots used on the mobo, possibly the BIOS, etc. That's why it's a good idea to follow the motherboard memory recommendations. Most dual channel mobos will probably specify 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, etc. in order to run in dual-channel mode.
                    • 7. Re: 4 Gb memory vs 6 GB memory for Premiere
                      joshtownsend Level 2
                      Works on my ASUS P5q pro.
                      • 8. Re: 4 Gb memory vs 6 GB memory for Premiere
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        Good to know. That may vary for others, though. It's just something to be aware of.