12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2009 7:45 AM by Harm Millaard

New PC for PR CS3/4 editing

Harm Millaard Level 7
      This may be specially interesting for Jim and Bill, but ohers may benefit as well from my experiences in building a new PC for editing with CS3 and CS4.

One PC I had, when I restarted it one morning was DOA, it claimed a
      i CPU failure
      and would not boot up. So I built another one, based on the following components:

1. Lian Li PC-A77 chassis
      2. Cooler Master RealPower M1000 power supply
      3. ASUS P6T-WS professional mobo
      4. Intel i7-920 quad core CPU and 12 GB OCZ Platinum DDR3-1333/7-7-7-20 memory
      5. Noctua NH-U12P CPU cooler/1366 socket-2nd edition
      6. WD Velociraptor 150 GB boot disk
      7. 2x LG GGW-H20LRB Blu-ray burners
      8. 8x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1 TB disks in raid30
      9. 2x (old) SATA 250 GB disks in raid0
      10. Areca ARC 1680ix-12 raidcontroller with 2 GB cache and BBM
      11. ATI Club3D HD48724 512MB video card DDO
      12. Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo VGA cooler
      13. Vista 64 Business
      14. Lian Li EX-34 expansion tray

There is a separate thread about item 2, the PSU. Do a search if you are interested in the reasons why I opted for this one.

Initially I tried to tweak this new PC and got decent results, as far as Vista allows. Having worked with this system for a couple of days I have now refined my settings and am approaching what looks like a good performance from this attractively priced system. Admittedly it can not compare to a dual XEON system, but nevertheless it looks OK to me for the price.

In order to tweak my system I have used http://www.passmark.com/baselines/topten.html
      and - at the moment of posting - the top score was my system when I only had 6 GB of RAM installed and a meagre 512 MB cache on my raid controller. Since I have upgraded memory to 12 GB and my cache to 2 GB I have achieved much better performance as you can see in the following graph:

I'll shortly post some pictures of the new system with all 11 hard disks and two BR burners.

Jim, it may be time for you - finances allowing - to upgrade to a new system as well. You can not imagine the speed increase you will achieve!
      In my case, coming from a similar system as yours, it is simply unbelievable.

Bill, I would be interested to see how your dual Xeon system does on the Passmark test.

Note: The forums do not update links to images on websites with any regularity. The newly achieved PassMark score is 4.044 and the disk mark is 6.890