4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2009 10:46 AM by the_wine_snob

Playback exceptionally slow

I'm relatively new to Premier so this may be an easy question. When I import any footage into premier and try and play it back it is very choppy. Specifically I import jpeg stills from an animation and premier compiles them, i drag it onto the timeline, and try to play it. the stills are 320x240 each. I've tried adding some very small avi's i have, and same thing. I'm using CS4 on Vista 8 gb of memory quad core. Any help would be great. Thanks
        • 1. Re: Playback exceptionally slow
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Use another program, since quality is a non-issue for you. PP is not suited for your material. Use the right tool for the job. When I need to make a phone call, I don't use a saw, when I use PP I use VIDEO material, etc.
          • 2. Re: Playback exceptionally slow
            Level 1
            Thanks for the reply, but like I said, when I imported a smaller AVI VIDEO I had the same playback problem.
            • 3. Re: Playback exceptionally slow
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              AVI means nothing. What codec on what hardware with what project settings. etc.

I repeat, with your source material, use a consumer program like WMM.
              • 4. Re: Playback exceptionally slow
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Kelly,

Not sure what playback issues you are having with the JPEG's. I've got about 17 Sequences with from 100-400 JPEG's (720x480 PAR 0.9) per Sequence, all with Pans & Zooms and Cross-Dissolves. PP plays these beautifully, even without pre-Rendering. The Transitions get a tiny bit jittery, but all of the Motion>Scale/Position plays fine.

What exactly are you observing, and also what Effects, etc., have you applied to each still image? Have you Rendered your Sequences yet - might imporve things. Also, what is the display setting on your Program Monitor Panel (in PP, not your computer's monitor)?

To see what is inside your .AVI's, download and install G-Spot (www.headbands.com/gspot). It'll tell you what CODEC is used, etc.. As Harm points out, an AVI is but a wrapper and can contain almost anything. If it's a DV-AVI Type II, then it would be a good test for PP. Otherwise, not so good as a control.

Good luck,

Hunt