14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2009 5:00 AM by fredou_79

RAM upgrade yields new problems

watkino Level 1
      I recently upgraded my laptop memory to (2) (2)gb Kingston SODIMMS. Total: 4gb. My unit's maximum.

I am running Win XP Pro, and am aware the addressable memory of a 32bit system is about 3.4 gigs. No problem.

The laptop (Compaq nx9420) runs just great except for ONE big problem...when editing in Premiere CS4. The project file I was working on (a very large file with hundreds of video clips) CRASHES when saving the project. Not at first. I can do, maybe, a half dozen project saves...but invariably it eventually will crash when executing a file save.

Remove the extra SODIMM - I'd like to say NO problem, but ONCE IN A GREAT WHILE I have the same problem. WITH the extra 2gb SODIMM - all the time.

The SODIMMS are, of course, guaranteed matched pairs and there is absolutely no problem with any of the other programs I run - many are memory intensive.

Add this to the long, long list of other CS4 programs and you know why I pray every night I can save up enough money for Final Cut Studio 2 running on a Mac Book Pro.

Brent
        • 1. Re: RAM upgrade yields new problems
          watkino Level 1
          Correction: "add this to the long, long list of other CS4 BUGS (not programs)...
          • 2. Re: RAM upgrade yields new problems
            Bill Seper Level 1
            I don't think you can fault CS4 for this one Brent. I can't off-hand think of any code written into a program that would be negatively effected by adding RAM.

What service pack are you using? I don't trust SP3. There are way more bugs with that than there are with even CS4.

You might want to also check your RAM with something like Sandra (it's a free download). Just because it's new and expensive doesn't mean it can't be bad.

And what are the specs of the RAM you bought? Be aware that in order for that particular laptop MOBO to move up to 4-Gigs means also moving up to 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM rather than the 533 speed you might have been using before. The MOBO only supports 533Mhz Ram up to 2-Gigs. So if you're trying to run 4-gigs of 533Mhz Ram it may do more hram than good.
            • 3. Re: RAM upgrade yields new problems
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Brent,

I also assume that you have updated your BIOS Setup to the 4GB of RAM. What does Windows report for your installed and accessible RAM?

I am with Charles on this one. If you do not have the 667MHz RAM, it could be that Premiere *thinks* that it has access to more, than it does.

Hunt
              • 4. Re: RAM upgrade yields new problems
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                >I don't trust SP3. There are way more bugs with that than there are with even CS4.

That's quite surprising. I've not yet heard of anyone having an issue with SP3.
                • 5. Re: RAM upgrade yields new problems
                  Download and run this to rule out any problems with the new RAM first: http://www.memtest.org/download/2.11/memtest86+-2.11.floppy.zip
                  • 6. Re: RAM upgrade yields new problems
                    Bill Seper Level 1
                    That's okay Simon. I don't expect people to agree with me all the time.
                    • 7. Re: RAM upgrade yields new problems
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Charles,

What particular problems have you seen with SP3? I hesitated to apply it, until dozens of folk here reported no problems. I've been running it for about 8 mos. on two machines, with not one glitch - same as the reports from the Adobe fora.

Just curious,

Hunt
                      • 8. Re: RAM upgrade yields new problems
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        I'm with Bill.
                        • 9. Re: RAM upgrade yields new problems
                          Bill Seper Level 1
                          Well it started when my nephew downloaded it. When it first came out he got an alert for it and went ahead and got the update. Right away his computer (an HP, but I don't know which model off-hand) started freezing up. It just seemed like nothing was stable anymore. It would crash without warning at a moment's notice. This was about a year ago I think, and I don't know if microsoft keeps messages on their website that old or not, but if you can find message from this time last year there were a ton of people screaming about the same things--spontaneous reboots, system freezes etc.

Could be that they've fixed the bugs by now. It was such a frustration the first time Chris tried it that no one else in the family has bothered with SP3 since. Just call us chicken I guess.
                          • 10. Re: RAM upgrade yields new problems
                            watkino Level 1
                            Thanks guys, but the SODIMMS are just fine. First, they are the RIGHT modules (667mhz). I always to a memtest sweep with new installs. I manage about 50 workstations at our facility, so my experience is that when a DIMM is bad, it does really bad things to the system. The last bad DIMM I had corrupted windows sys files leading to the need for a complete OS reinstall. NO - this passes HP's BIOS memtest utility (quite a good one, I might add - doing both high and alternate DIMM address pattern tests, plus the famous alternate 1's and 0's sweeping the entire address ranges.) I know memtest will do this until you tell it to stop, which is even more intensive, but as I said, I ran that as well without problem.

No, I'm suspecting CS4 has a problem with Windows XP Pro not being able to address all 4gb.

I need to know if others have encountered this problem and if and upgrade to Vista 64 bit solved their problems.
                            • 11. Re: RAM upgrade yields new problems
                              Bill Seper Level 1
                              "No, I'm suspecting CS4 has a problem with Windows XP Pro not being able to address all 4gb."

Hmm...good question.
                              • 12. Re: RAM upgrade yields new problems
                                spreeni Level 1
                                >No, I'm suspecting CS4 has a problem with Windows XP Pro not being able to address all 4gb.

It's not an issue of cs4, just the way 32-bit windows adresses RAM. Every 32-bit Windows (like XP or Vista 32) is limited to only adress max. 2GB for every process. This means PP always can use 2GB no matter how much RAM there is for real.

The only advantage to use 4 GB in a 32-bit OS is, that for example PP can use 2 GB and another process like Encore or AfterFX can use the rest of the RAM.
                                • 13. Re: RAM upgrade yields new problems
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  That's not quite true, spreeni. Each user process, like Premiere, AE or Encore, will normally use a max of 2GB each. If all are open and each uses the full 2GB, then Windows will be swapping a lot. (Remember that we're talking about address space, not physical RAM space.)

The rest of the 4 GB total is reserved for Windows processes.

The exception is if you use the /3GB switch. This will allow each user process to address up to 3GB of RAM. The benefits of this may vary, however, as now Windows processes can only use 1GB.
                                  • 14. Re: RAM upgrade yields new problems
                                    fredou_79 Level 1
                                    Your XP is only using 2 GB you should enable the /3GB switch and /PAE switch in your boot-ini file and probably optimize you XP like these 2 link describe:

http://www.videoguys.com/WinXP.html#dave
                                    http://www.videoguys.com/WinXP2.html

Also here's some info about how CS4 work with memory to make you understand why your PP4 got memory problem:

http://digitalcontentproducer.com/affordablehd/newsletter/cs4_64bit_1208/

Be patient, there's an advertizement you need to watch before seen link...