17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2009 7:38 PM by Jim_Simon

Client Web Review Videos (Flash CS4)

Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3
      As part of our video production process, we used to encode client review AVI videos in Flash and publish them from Flash. Once published, I would open the published HTML file with notepad and copy and paste the appropriate Flash related code into a template on our web server. The Flash code would be pasted in an html table cell in the template html file.
      This method consistently produced Web review videos that worked fine and played immediately.

The process has changed with CS4. Now Flash doesn't accept and transcode an AVI file. You have to transcode the AVI in Media Encoder and then import the *.flv or *.f4v file into a Flash Project via the Import video function.

Here is the problem I have... The finished product that used to work on our server will now play fine locally, but refuses to play on the server. The server is based on "Free BSD".

I had the server administrator check the MIME types and he entered them last night for flv and f4v files. I haven't had time to try again, but what makes me skeptical regarding the MIME type issue is that Flash, flv or f4v based video exported from Encore play fine on our server.

My thoughts are, it is either an issue related to a Microsoft fault, like the fact that PhotoShop files no longer display preview thumbnails in Windows Explorer, or the problem is related to an extra "hidden" step I am not taking with CS4 in order to make Flash CS4 videos play on a web server.

I have addressed this in the Flash forum. I got one response from another guy having the same problem, but he said has not received any feedback whatsoever that has been helpful in resolving this problem.

My final thoughts are this:

Flash video created in Flash CS4 won't play on our server but the same f4v and flv files created and exported from Encore CS4 will. My suspicion is that In Flash CS4, I have to create an accompanying Java Script file or something, that is published to the server as well... Or possibly I need to install a Flash Extension that enables Flash exported video to play on a server.

You might ask, why use Flash when Encore works. The reason is, Encore isn't flexible with the video controllers. Our clients want to be able to easily scrub to certain points in the review video. Also, I want our review videos to be enclosed within our Website template with our company's navigation buttons.

Any thoughts?
        • 1. Re: Client Web Review Videos (Flash CS4)
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          >like the fact that PhotoShop files no longer display preview thumbnails in Windows Explorer

No longer? Man, when the hell did they ever?
          • 2. Re: Client Web Review Videos (Flash CS4)
            Thrill Media Level 2
            Hey Charles,
            I wonder if you could compare the front end that Encore creates to yours and adapt it to yours? This isn't my forte but I do publish a lot of files through Encore and would like to expand my control options through Flash. In fact that is something I am looking at right now. If I have any luck I will share. Keep us posted.
            • 3. Re: Client Web Review Videos (Flash CS4)
              Jim Simon - 7:08am Mar 7, 09 PST
              "like the fact that PhotoShop files no longer display preview thumbnails in Windows Explorer
              No longer? Man, when the hell did they ever?"

The cut off, at least on our systems was CS3 where *.psd files no longer display image preview thumbnails in Windows Explorer. Systems with XP running PhotoShop 7 and PhotoShop CS2 will display thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer.

In another thread, a few months back I found at debate raging between Adobe and Microsoft programmers. They were arguing over whose fault it is that PhotoShop can not display previews in Windows Explorer. The Adobe programmer argued his case more convincingly in my opinion.
              • 4. Re: Client Web Review Videos (Flash CS4)
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                See that's just weird to me. Because in the ten plus years I've been using Photoshop, Windows has never shown a thumbnail preview. It has only ever shown the Photoshop logo so you know what program to use to actually see the image.
                • 5. Re: Client Web Review Videos (Flash CS4)
                  Here is a screen snapshot from a computer that has PhotoShop CS2 installed. A couple of psd's showing image preview thumbnails displayed with nary a squeal... Tullulah Gorge Georgia where that wonderfully uplifting film "Deliverance" was shot:
                  http://www.greatproducers.com/psd_thumbnails.html
                  • 6. Re: Client Web Review Videos (Flash CS4)
                    Mortimer IOU Level 2
                    Go to the link http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=327459
                    to read why PS thumbnails may not show in Win Explorer.

Then, if you want to add the feature, look for psicon.dll. I'm sure there are lots of places on the web where it can be found.
                    • 7. Re: Client Web Review Videos (Flash CS4)
                      Mortimer IOU Level 2
                      Go to the link http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=327459
                      to read why PS thumbnails may not show in Win Explorer.
                      • 8. Re: Client Web Review Videos (Flash CS4)
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        Weird. Going back to Photoshop 5.5, Explorer has not once ever shown me a .psd thumbnail. I just thought this was the norm.

So how did you get yours to show?
                        • 9. Re: Client Web Review Videos (Flash CS4)
                          In PhotoShop preferences under "File Handling" there is a place where you can specify "Image Previews". Other than that setting, there could possibly be a setting in Windows "Tools" - "Folder Options" - "View" or "File Types" that is preventing PSD image previews but I haven't checked that out.
                          • 10. Re: Client Web Review Videos (Flash CS4)
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            Thanks Charles. Never bothered to examine that Photoshop preference.
                            • 11. Re: Client Web Review Videos (Flash CS4)
                              I posted a video encoded from Flash CS3 on our server last night and it plays great. Using the "all" controls below looks sharp and there is also a full screen button available in the controls. The new flash plays amazingly well and looks great full screen.

I just need to figure out why CS4 Flash video, both flv and f4v won't play on our server. Our computers with CS4 are all at work. On Monday, I'll dig deeper into Media Encoder to see if there's a streaming setting or something I missed.
                              • 12. Re: Client Web Review Videos (Flash CS4)
                                Thrill Media Level 2
                                Hey Charles,
                                Are you in the Atlanta area or were you just visiting Tullulah?

Curtis
                                • 13. Re: Client Web Review Videos (Flash CS4)
                                  Curtis:

Our office is in Roswell, GA, about 25 minutes north of Atlanta. My family and I visited Tullulah Gorge last summer and had a great time. Beautiful country. Are you in Atlanta?
                                  • 14. Re: Client Web Review Videos (Flash CS4)
                                    Back to my original post which related to not being able to get Flash CS4 flv's and f4v's to play on our server, but they would play locally. Flash CS4 writes by default an absolute file path based upon your local machine. Like C:\Users\MyComputer\test.f4v.

The easiest solution in my experience is to keep and save everything related to a particular Flash video project in one folder only.

While in Flash, select the flv/f4v on the stage and open the Flash Component Inspector. Look at the Name field called "source". If it indicates a local machine filepath like: C:\Users\MyComputer\test.f4v, just delete the C:\Users\MyComputer\ part and the video should work when uploaded to a server.
                                    • 15. Re: Client Web Review Videos (Flash CS4)
                                      Thrill Media Level 2
                                      Great Charles, glad you got it straightened out. Yes, I generally create a folder specifically for the Flash export as well.

And BTW... in the heart, East Lake, just a few blocks from the golf course.
                                      • 16. Re: Client Web Review Videos (Flash CS4)
                                        I've always enjoyed working in Flash. To be really good at it, you need a strong creative right brain as well as a good handle on programming, particularly Java Script and Flash's Action Script. I would need to learn programming to expand my creativity with Flash. Web design can be a frustrating profession. Back in 97' a guy who referred to himself as a scientist, taught me the basics of Web design. He claimed to have developed the technique of "slicing" images and optimizing the pieces individually and placing the image pieces in HTML table cells. He meticulously hand coded all of his clien'ts websites. I remember checking in on one of his masterpiece websites a few years later, only to see things all messed up. The thing basically fell apart. I don't know if it was because the browser I was using didn't read the HTML in a standard way or what. But the site looked terrible. You think we have problems in the video production business... try building websites for a living.

The Flash video my original post is about was created for a producer friend, who's trying to get some people interested in a reality TV series. I tried to make the Web page where the Flash is embedded more interesting by using a jpg background referenced in the HTML using a java script that "stretched" the image to fit any browser window size. I thought the finished page looked great. We tested it on several computers, and everything looked and worked fine. The first important guy to look at the page couldn't see the video, just the background. I took the background out. I got another phone call from someone who said they couldn't see the video and their computer was asking if they started a process and for permission to continue installing a Flash Player update. I said, yes, this is a Flash based video you are about to look at, so go ahead and install the Flash Player update. Then there are people who work in a corporate setting where system administrators restrict certain Windows updates related to media. Other people never install any Windows updates and are running with expired anti-virus software.

I enjoy working with Flash and even occassionally doing some Web design, I'm just glad I don't have to deal with Web compatibility problems day in and day out.
                                        • 17. Re: Client Web Review Videos (Flash CS4)
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                                          >who's trying to get some people interested in a reality TV series.