10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2009 8:24 PM by Stan Jones

Sony HVR-Z1U won't Capture HDV

Hello,

My boss has just given me a Sony HVR-Z1U HDR camcorder. Whoo Hooo! It is great with lots of bells and whistles. BUT I can't capture HDV with it. When set to capture via DV it is fine. Frame size 720x480 and have complete control of the camcorder. I switch it to HDV caputre and the 'capture' window at the top shows "Capture Device Offline" and I am unable to do anything. The camcorder shows I'm in HDV mode on the blue lights below the handle and also on the preview monitor.

I'm connected to my computer via firewire.

Please help. I have to get this done quick and I don't want to have it done with SD. The whole purpose of the HD camcorder is to use the HD...right?

Using CS4 Premiere

Thanks for any help on this.

Dave
        • 1. Re: Sony HVR-Z1U won't Capture HDV
          Jeron Coolman Level 1
          Did you change the Capture Settings to HDV instead of DV?
          • 2. Re: Sony HVR-Z1U won't Capture HDV
            Level 1
            Did you change the Capture Settings to HDV instead of DV?

Yes,(in premiere capture settings) that is what makes the camera go to 'capture device offline' and then unable to capture from the camcorder.

Am I missing something about HDV??? What should be the file type and frame size of this captured HD video?
            • 3. Re: Sony HVR-Z1U won't Capture HDV
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant
              On your Sony does your camera say something like "HDVout iLink" (on my HDR-HC1) If it just says HDVin iLink, either your camera is not setup properly or you do not have the project set up for a HDV project like (for NTSC areas) HDV 1080i30 (60i)

On rereading your post it sounds to me like you operated the camera to capture in SD (DV), therefore you are able to only capture to Premiere in SD.
              • 4. Re: Sony HVR-Z1U won't Capture HDV
                Level 1
                Bill,

Thanks. I will check. So then I'm assuming that I was correct the 'Capture' mode on Premiere should be set to HDV.

I will check the settings of the camcorder at this point. I thought that it was set to HDV when the HDV blue light is on. Maybe there are more settings that need to be set, on the camcorder???

Any ideas?
                • 5. Re: Sony HVR-Z1U won't Capture HDV
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  Check the camera's manual.
                  • 6. Re: Sony HVR-Z1U won't Capture HDV
                    Level 1
                    I have finally figured this out. Yes, the camera was set up correct for HDV recording. The problem lies in the output from the camera to the computer. It was trying to 'downsize-convert' the image from HDV to DV in the ilink settings. Switched the ilink HDV to DV to 'OFF' and thus it worked fine.

Jim, I'm sure many people post questions without reading manuals and 'googleing' their problems... With that said, I believe your post is nothing more than useless. This kind of technology changes all of the time. It is hard to keep up with all of the settings that make things work. Yes, the manual had the information. BUT, I wasn't understanding the function of what was happening. Thus, trial and error works sometimes, but when you don't get it to work, I ask for help on a fourm. I have receieved lots of help over the years from these forums. They have been great, and I have been thankful for all that have taken the time to respond to questions. Ok, I'm now getting off of my soap box!

Thanks Bill, your post got me in the right area of the camera to identify the problem. (I wasn't sure if it was the camera or the software at that point)

Dave
                    • 7. Re: Sony HVR-Z1U won't Capture HDV
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >Yes, the manual had the information.

Well, then it appears my post actually was useful.
                      • 8. Re: Sony HVR-Z1U won't Capture HDV
                        Level 1
                        Jim,

No your answer was nothing more than pure ferterlizer. You must have not known the answer to the question. Thus, the default 'read the manual' post...duh!

Bill's response was useful.

I'm done with tit-4-tat here.

Problem solved. I'm moving on.
                        • 9. Re: Sony HVR-Z1U won't Capture HDV
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          > You must have not known the answer to the question.

That's correct. I do not own that camera, hence I could not tell you specifically which menu item or switch would do the trick. It appears you found that information in the manual, though, just as I suggested.

So I'm not understanding your issue with my post.
                          • 10. Re: Sony HVR-Z1U won't Capture HDV
                            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                            In my opinion, Jim has often deserved snips for referring to the manual, etc. (Although not so much these days!) Here, however, the earlier posts covered some basics, and it was clear that no one knew what the correct settings were. It was, in fact, time for someone to "Check the camera's manual," and that's all he said.