12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2008 7:39 PM by joshtownsend

Which Disk  to install - Adobe On Location?  CS4

shooternz Level 6
      I have the upgrade software CS4 Production Premium package.

Which of the 6x Disks has Adobe On Location Install /Setup ?

Application 1
      Application 2
      Application 3
      Application 4
      Content
      Learning

It is well hidden and of course I want to install it to a Laptop separate to the Install of the NLE app.
        • 1. Re: Which Disk  to install - Adobe On Location?  CS4
          Averdahl Level 3
          AFAIK you will need disc 1 and disc 2.

The easiest way to find out is to insert disc 1 and select to install OnLocation only and see what disc/s the installer promts you to insert.

/Roger
          • 2. Re: Which Disk  to install - Adobe On Location?  CS4
            shooternz Level 6
            It used to be a separate disk because obviously you need to install ON Location to a Laptop. Pointless installing it to a Desktop NLE system.

I think Adobe have changed this !

Can anyone confirm how they installed CS4 On Location to a laptop. (and whether its worth the effort - I can stick with previous version)

I want to do this first because I am waiting for the updates before installing Premiere CS4 Production Premium to my desktop.
            • 3. Re: Which Disk  to install - Adobe On Location?  CS4
              TradeWind Level 3
              I installed the whole thing to my laptop. Now I edit wherever I want, and use OnLocation wherever I need to - all on the same machine.

I agree though...having the separate disc was helpful for the situation you're talking about (just installing a single app). At the same time, by installing the first disc and checking your options on the 3rd or 4th screen (or wherever it is), you can easily install just the OnLocation application. Just check the appropriate boxes, follow on-screen instructions and boom.....you're done. And Adobe saved the earth once again by not including unnecessary non-biodegradable materials.

Just like the hard copy user manuals :)
              • 4. Re: Which Disk  to install - Adobe On Location?  CS4
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                > And Adobe saved the earth once again by not including unnecessary non-biodegradable materials.

So which do you prefer, Adobe or Man, a biodegradable but non-recyclable animal blessed with two opposable thumbs capable of grasping at straws?
                • 5. Re: Which Disk  to install - Adobe On Location?  CS4
                  why cant you install the whole suite on your desktop and just onlocation on the laptop? And yes you have to start with disk one Averdahl was right. I don't see the problem?
                  • 6. Re: Which Disk  to install - Adobe On Location?  CS4
                    Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                    > Man, a biodegradable but non-recyclable animal blessed with two opposable thumbs capable of grasping at straws?

lol

Of course, humans are talented because we can "grasp at straws" with no thumbs at all!
                    • 7. Re: Which Disk  to install - Adobe On Location?  CS4
                      shooternz Level 6
                      >why cant you install the whole suite on your desktop and just onlocation on the laptop? And yes you have to start with disk one Averdahl was right. I don't see the problem?

Thats exactly what I want to do. I do not want the whole suite on a Laptop so I am trying to ascertain if I can install just part of the Suite (On Location).

Does this count as my single user licence , "single use" for the entire CS4suite that I will installing on a desktop?

BTW: The CS4 install disk will not find CS3 on my laptop because it isnt there. How will it qualify for the upgrade?
                      • 8. Re: Which Disk  to install - Adobe On Location?  CS4
                        Level 1
                        first almost all adobe apps are single user licenses to be used by an individuals primary computer and a secondary machine. You get 2 activations with your suite. Installing the whole suite minus onlocation on your desktop+onlocation only on your laptop will count for your 2 activations. This does not mean you cannot deactivate and change machines in the future. Second durring the install cs4 upgrades will ask for your previous serial number for your cs3 suite. Problem solved. How many times does the question have to be answered before people get it? Sorry no offense.
                        • 9. Re: Which Disk  to install - Adobe On Location?  CS4
                          Level 1
                          You shouldn't need to have CS3 on your machine to install the CS4 upgrade version.

And you should be able to just select OnLocation for installation on your laptop.
                          • 10. Re: Which Disk  to install - Adobe On Location?  CS4
                            shooternz Level 6
                            Thats what I am hoping. Thanks.

>How many times does the question have to be answered before people get it? Sorry no offense.

I wasnt asking that. You missed the point but I got my answer.
                            • 11. Re: Which Disk  to install - Adobe On Location?  CS4
                              lchapman66 Level 1
                              > first almost all adobe apps are single user licenses to be used by an individuals primary computer and a secondary machine. You get 2 activations with your suite. Installing the whole suite minus onlocation on your desktop+onlocation only on your laptop will count for your 2 activations. This does not mean you cannot deactivate and change machines in the future. Second durring the install cs4 upgrades will ask for your previous serial number for your cs3 suite. Problem solved. How many times does the question have to be answered before people get it? Sorry no offense.

FYI - installing OnLocation only does *not* count as an activation. Adobe allows this on purpose. Good move. I have CS4 Production studio installed on two partitions on one machine (XP Pro 32 and Vista 64) *and* just OnLocation on my laptop. No problems. There's a note in the OnLocation forum mentioning this.
                              • 12. Re: Which Disk  to install - Adobe On Location?  CS4
                                joshtownsend Level 2
                                "And Adobe saved the earth once again by not including unnecessary non-biodegradable materials. "

Not if the same people tha OK'd Premiere CS4 to go out like it did. Adobe isn't saving the world when they prioritize speech to text over making a NLE that works at least as good as the last version.

Sorry went off there a little.