17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2010 9:15 PM by the_wine_snob

Export Frame

Hi All,
      How do you export a frame from the time line in A.P.P. CS4?In CS2 you would do File,Export,Frame.CS4 has File,Export,but no option for frame.
      Thank You For Your Help,
      Barry
        • 1. Re: Export Frame
          shooternz Level 6
          Export via Adobe Media Encoder.

All exports now run thru thru this new workflow. (It is acontentious issue for exporting a frame)
          • 2. Re: Export Frame
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

See the section Export a still image in the Premiere Pro Help.

Cheers
            Eddie

PremiereProPedia    ( RSS feed)
            - Over 350 frequently answered questions
            - Over 300 free tutorials
            - Maintained by editors like you
            Forum FAQ
            • 3. Re: Export Frame
              Level 1
              Craig & Eddie,
              Thanks alot, Eddie that exporting a still image information was right on time.Why did they make it so hard!!!
              Barry
              • 4. Re: Export Frame
                Eddie Lotter Level 4

It has to do with the new export methodology, but in this instance it has proved to be too much of a nuisance. It will be addressed and improved.

Cheers
                Eddie

PremiereProPedia    ( RSS feed)
                - Over 350 frequently answered questions
                - Over 300 free tutorials
                - Maintained by editors like you
                Forum FAQ
                • 5. Re: Export Frame
                  jbaumchen

Any idea when the new an improved version will be out? This is a feature used very often in our projects.

I can't believe Adobe took a page from Avid in making this far more difficult than it needed to be. I mean 2 minutes and 11 seconds for media encoder to load the project and export one frame? 

• 6. Re: Export Frame
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Barry,

This is supposed to be corrected in the 4.1 update. Hang in there.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Export Frame
                      Eddie Lotter Level 4

The 4.1 update is expected to be released near the end of May.

Cheers
                      Eddie

• 8. Re: Export Frame
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        The 4.1 update is expected to be released near the end of May.
                        Eddie Lotter

I'd say that Eddie's info is as good as anybody's, this side of Adobe.

We all agree that this was a bad move, but was probably an unintended consequence of separating out the AME. Many are awaiting its return.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Export Frame
                          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Hunt, my info (in this case) came from posts I read from people who attended NAB. I'm sure that if Adobe made such an announcement then they will try to stick to it barring some catastrophic bug discovery.

Personally I'm very anxious for the update. It will curb many of the heated postings we have seen since the CS4 release. Then we will only have to deal with the people making heated posts without checking for updates.

Cheers
                          Eddie

• 10. Re: Export Frame
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Now Eddie, we all know that you have that "red phone" in the back of your office - the one that links directly to San Jose.

If 4.1 does do the job of fixin' things, that it should, I hope that Jeff puts a big, neon stickie on the main page - "Update 4.1 is HERE!" Of cours, his would actually link to something.

Here's hoping,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Export Frame
                              WildIsland

I have version 4.2.1 for windowns and it seems to be impossible to export a single frame since there is no way to "On the Video tab, deselect the Export As Sequence option (if it is selected)." (from the adobe help for cs4).   When I choose windows bitmat (why is there no jpg option?) or any of the other still image formats the Video tab says doesn't give me any options.  Then the media encoder want to export a sequence of still frames.  I try to adjust the orange (work area?) below the picture on the left side of the screen to be just the one frame I want but the right side keeps bouncing back to the right end.

Then media encoder starts churning out frame after frame.

Am I doing something wrong or what's going on?

• 12. Re: Export Frame
                                WildIsland Level 1

I have version 4.2.1 for windowns  and it seems to be impossible to export a single frame since there is no  way to "On the Video tab, deselect the Export As Sequence option  (if it is selected)." (from the adobe help for cs4).   When I choose  windows bitmat (why is there no jpg option?) or any of the other still  image formats the Video tab says doesn't give me any options.  Then the  media encoder want to export a sequence of still frames.  I try to  adjust the orange (work area?) below the picture on the left side of the  screen to be just the one frame I want but the right side keeps  bouncing back to the right end.

Then media encoder starts churning  out frame after frame.

Am I doing something wrong or what's going on?

I wish Adobe would update their Help when they update the program.  It would seem logical since everything is online.

• 13. Re: Export Frame
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

This is likely OE (Operator Error), since it is pretty easy to find the Export as sequence tick box and unselect it.

Can you post a screen shot of your export settings.

• 15. Re: Export Frame
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    why is there no jpg option?

PrPro is a video editor, and not a still image editor, like Photoshop. JPEG compression is a function of an image editor. It is also NOT a good format for video, due to its compression. I use JPEG ONLY for output, when clients need the image on their Web site. Even then, I normally go with PNG, as it will accept Transparency, which JPEG will not - white background ONLY where there should be Transparency.

I almost always go with .PSD (the native format of Photoshop), and then TIFF, or BMP as my still images. Since most of my Export>Frames are for use as Backgrounds in Encore Menus, or "freeze frames" in PrPro, I would never want JPEG anywhere in my workflow.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Export Frame
                                      WildIsland Level 1

Thanks to all of you for your responce.  Yes it was OE.  I am over in Thailand and a little spaced out.

It is always humbling to know how much I have to learn.  Right now I am trying to export frames for my blog:  http://jaylagemann.blogspot.com So jpegs are pretty handy.

Under the Export settings; Format options I do have windows bitmap and TIFF, but there is no option for PNG or PSD.  Is there a way to export to PNG or PSD?

Jay Lagemann

• 17. Re: Export Frame
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Jay,

Not directly. I Export to TIFF, and then Open in PS to Save_As what I need (usually .PSD for Encore Menus). Again, PrPro is pretty simple in the still image department. That is where PS comes in so handy.

Hope that helps,

Hunt