26 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2013 4:09 PM by Dragonspear

Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture

Level 1
      I can't capture from my XH-A1. I shot the footage in this camera but CS4 won't capture. CS3 does, so to get the tapes captured in CS4 I used the XH-A1 tapes in my Canon HV10. Has anyone captured with the XH-A1 yet?

I am already regretting CS4 after only a few days! This is typical Adobe software in my opinion, I don't know why I subject myself to this abuse.
        • 1. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
          Level 1
          I can capture to CS4. Make sure the DVin setting is off and it is set to HD to out on the camcorder
          • 2. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            I can capture in CS4 i cannot export to tape.
            But if i had the choice to capture with the A1 or HV10, i would choose th HV10 the save the heads of the A1.
            • 3. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
              Level 1
              Ann, your correct in your advice to use the HV10, and that's very good advice. But I would still feel better if all my cameras worked just like they did in previous versions. Haven't even tried the Sony FX1 yet, so who knows.
              • 4. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                adamhaviland Level 1
                I upgraded to CS4 today. The software allows me to capture HD using my Sony FX1 but the sceen capture option is disabled. Any suggestions or advice?
                • 5. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                  Level 1
                  Am capturing HDV via firewire just fine from XHa1, so it CAN be done...the capture window doesn't show the capture as it's happening, a "feature" not a bug, it's in the help file. Darn strange way to capture, since capture doesn't do automatic scene detection either....Adobe, wake up, Final Cut does all of this! Just transitioning to APP CS4 from Final Cut Studio, and this, I don't like! / video_man
                  • 6. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                    Level 1
                    FCP does not 'scene detect' HDV capture... it creates big '60min' files.

Viewing capture material on your PC monitor isn't totally necessary, if you really want watch while you capture, then plug your camcorder into a big TV?
                    • 7. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                      Miles Johnston Level 1
                      Looks like I will keep well away from CS4. Seems the most basic intuitive things go out the window when new software comes along
                      • 8. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                        Premiere does have subclips.
                        • 9. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                          Level 1
                          ive been trying to capture HDV footage on cs4 with my canon xha1 but when trying it in HDV it says device not ready. in capture settings under SD everything works just fine, go to edit and change it to HDV and everything gets fuzzed out and it wont let me capture anything. ive been trying everything. i went back and tried cs3 same problem, then tried sony vegas, but same problem, anyone plz help im getting desperite
                          • 10. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                            > ive been trying everything. i went back and tried cs3 same problem, then tried sony vegas, but same problem

This seems to indicate a much deeper problem, like at the Operating System level.

If you have the camera hooked up to the computer when you launch these programs and try to capture, then change things up and don't hook up the camera until the program is running.

If you only hook up the camera after the program is running, then change things up and try hooking it up before you start any of the programs. Heck, try hooking it up before you even start your computer.
                            • 11. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                              Level 1
                              ive tried having the camera on befor turning on the comp, and almost any combination of program on offs. but always under capture settings and in edit SD works prefect anytime, nothing but video controls on the camera, nothing on my monitor and the recond setting os grayed out. any other ideas
                              • 12. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                                adamhaviland Level 1
                                I was having HD capture issues with Adobe CS3/CS4 but eventually found a solution (although not from Adobe). I own several Sony FX1 HD cameras that are apparantly not supported by Adobe as I was unable to use the Scene Capture function, which is necessary in my line of work.

To solve the problem, I downloaded the HDV Split application:
                                http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

You can also download the VLC media player to play the .M2T HD files:
                                http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Both applications are great! I've alredy captured hundreds of hours of footage with no issues. Also, I like the VLC player much better than Windows Media Player. Good luck!
                                • 13. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                                  Level 1
                                  i just reset all the settings on my camera and it finally worked no video on capture screen but it captures none the less so im pleased
                                  • 14. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                                    Level 1
                                    I am working with a Cannon HV 30. Capturing seems to be working fine in HDV mode but when playing back for editing I seem to have a sync problem over and over again.
                                    I checked my settings more than enough. Can it be a problem with my device controle settings? Any ideas? Thanks
                                    • 15. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                                      Try some files captured with HDVSplit.
                                      http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm
                                      • 16. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                                        Level 1
                                        When capturing on HDV split. How do I encode the files in avi for editing on CS? When importing now it doesn't recognise the format.
                                        • 17. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                                          What format does Premiere not recognize?
                                          HDVSplit captures in m2t. Have you set up your project in the right way or are you on a trial version which does not support hdv.
                                          If you want avi downconvert in the camera and you can capture in Premiere.
                                          • 18. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                            >If you want avi downconvert in the camera and you can capture in Premiere.

That advice should come with the caveat that in doing so, your media will no longer be high definition.
                                            • 19. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                                              mjh1988 Level 1

Im having the same problem as you by the sound of it (apart from Im using CS3). I can capture in SD in Premiere Pro CS3, but not in HDV. I've looked at the capture settings and the only option I have is "DV Capture". Am i right in thinking that there should be an option in this drop down box called something like "HDV Capture"?

I have shot some footage on my Canon XH A1s in HDV, but after using countless converters I have come back to PP CS3. I tried HD Split first of all, but the files it creates,".m2t", don't work in PP CS3. Can any of you guys suggest a converter to take these .m2t files and convert them to AVI's?

Also, any help you can offer me with PPro CS3 would be very much appreciated. I have got the Canon Progressive HDV preset on my computer, so I can start a HDV project I just can't capture from it. On the capture window however, I can control the camera using Pley, Stop, Pause, Fwd, Rew etc. But the record/capture button, is greyed out. Any ideas?

Any information you can supply me with would be fantasitc and much Appreciated.

Cheers guys.

• 20. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Are you using the trial version?

• 21. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                                                  mjh1988 Level 1

Hi Harm,

Thankyou for your reply. In reply to your question "Am I using the trial version?". No, I have the full version of "Adobe Premiere Pro CS3", but for some reason I have not got the option of capturing in HDV - only DV. Is there a preset I can download which would allow me to capture HDV footge from my Canon XH A1s?

It is dissapointing to capture in DV as I have just shot an event for a client in HDV. Any advice or links would be much appreciated.

Thankyou in advance to anyone who can help me.

Cheers

Matt

• 22. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                                                    "Adobe Premiere Pro CS3"

Is this a typo? You are in the CS4 forum and hence I assume you meant CS4.

I suppose you have recently updated to version 4.1.0. Many people have complained about CS4 reverting to trial status, losing all capabilities to edit anything MPEG related. This is caused by a previous faulty installation (not your fault, but the Adobe installer) and although a shortcut has been posted here, it does not remedy the cause of this happening. The only - cumbersome, time consuming - solution is to uninstall, run CleanScript 2 or 3 times and reinstall.

If you are indeed using CS3, please post over there. I no longer have CS3 installed, so it is difficult to help you.

• 23. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                                                      joeaalb Level 1

Premiere does not work well when you leave your camera set to AUTO.  If I shoot DV I set the playback mode to DV, and if I shoot HDV I set the playback mode to HDV.  I have not had any capture problems since I started doing this.  Be aware that the Canon HDV cameras will not switch playback mode with a 1394 cable plugged in, so you gotta unplug it first.

• 24. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                                                        americanweb1 Level 1

After much reading on this issue finally this one solved the problem.  Take the XH A1 out of auto mode to HDV mode (if that is what you shot in)  with the Firewire cable unplugged.  Works fine after that.

Thanks for all the posts

• 25. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                                                          David S Smith Level 1

What it might come down to as an IRQ conflict (PC).

If the firewire port on your system is on the motherboard (not a separate card) and shares the “bank” of ports with a USB slot, make sure nothing else is plugged into the USB port--e.g. an external HD.  I unplugged my external HD and the system (and subsequently Vegas) immediately recognized the camera and I was good to go.  After capturing the footage to an eSATA connect external drive, I re-plugged the USB external drive as a test and the system recognized both the camera and the USB HD.

Good luck

• 26. Re: Canon XH-A1 HDV Capture
                                                            Dragonspear Level 1

If you are having the same capture problem with the Canon XHA1 just follow these steps. It's easier than reading through this whole forum discussion ^___^

1. UNPLUG firewire from camera (if you fail to do this you'll never be able to change your settings)
                                                            2. make sure camera is in VCR/PLAY mode
                                                            3. Menu >SIGNAL SETUP >PLAYBACK >STD-HDV >select HDV
                                                            4. Exit menu
                                                            5. Plug in Firewire
                                                            6. Wait for computer to recognize camera and install drivers (important to give it a moment to do this or PPro may not recognize device)
                                                            7. Startup Premiere
                                                            8. Hit F5 (capture shortcut key)
                                                            9. Make sure capture window says HDV. If not click the "edit" button below it and choose HDV.
                                                            10. You should now be able to press play and hit record within the capture window. Note: you will not see video. Use your camera LCD screen to preview playback.

Cheers