30 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2009 9:43 AM by (Luke_Humphrey)

CS4 Crashes continuously

I have been using Premier for years so I am not a newbie to the product. I have been using CS3 since it was released with great results. I wish I could say the same for CS4. Yesterday it crashed 9 times in a span of six hours. Once I did get through all the crashes I attempted to export to FLV (the plan was to do it overnight.) This same type of project 1 1/2 hours in length would take anywhere from 6 to 8 hours to export with CS3. This morning, after 16 hours, the time remaining was at 40:10:and some on seconds.

This thing is intolerable.

I have given up and have reverted back to CS3. In four hours today I managed as much work as I did in two days with CS4. Incidently, I have downloaded and installed the lastest revision.

I hope someone from Adobe reads these forums because from my perspective CS4 is a piece of ... well you know.

It wouldn't be so bad but I have a copy at home and one in the office, both of which I paid full price for. I feel ripped off.

Okay, I'm done venting. If others have had this type of experience, or knows of a fix, I would like to know.

Frank
        • 1. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Just out of curiosity, what type of media are you working with?
          • 2. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
            rockyweih Level 1
            Frank
            I still use CS3 because I read these forums. CS4 has been a peice of you know! ever since it came out. I have never heard so many WORK AROUNDS just to make a video. If you read a while there are many problems with CS4. Good choice to stay with CS3, If I could upgrade for 10 bucks I would save my money right now. I would return both copies if you can. If people would refuse to use this program it might force Adobe to make a better program before it sells it next time. I would call Adobe ASAP and try for a refund. Good Luck
            • 3. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
              Level 1
              Most of the time it is MPEG2 and AVI. Sometimes I also use Quicktime.
              • 4. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                Thanks, f. But those are pretty generic terms. Premiere really works best with standard camera formats. Other kinds of video have long caused problems for Premiere.

So are those files from cameras, or somewhere else?
                • 5. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                  Level 1
                  Jim, what you write may be true, but I have been doing this for a long time with great success. The shots come from a combination of Camtasia AVI and Camera video that has been converted from AVCHD to MPEG. The positive results I have had with CS3 (and earlier versions of Premier) is undone with CS4, therefore I can only conclude that CS4 is not ready for prime time. I am an Adobe fan and have run an Adobe shop for years. CS4 is a big dissappointment to me. I know that Adobe is capable of doing better.
                  • 6. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    Now that's what I was after. Thanks.

I've been noticing that a lot of people having issues are using GOP codecs. Using only DV myself, I haven't had any real major issues with CS4 yet. I'm starting to wonder just how many of those having issues are using GOP source (which in my view has always been a bad idea anyway).
                    • 7. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                      nascars007 Level 1
                      ok so Same Old story Here Too Man ADOBE (S!@#$T)!!! So first Problem was When I got CS 4 4.0.0 had to do a true full level down to reg clean to get rid Of all previous stuff Ok got it to finally work and export that was great at first no way to export from any programs with The jacked up Medi encoder at first That was great !! Ok then i shut off auto updates word to the wise then aftwer each update release give a month or so LOL !! then Beta test in your system so i guess a friend was over from school turned it back on to get a oatch for his AVCHD camera support I saw late Tues -Wed it updating Me To i guess 4.0.2 so after that reboot No Premier crash on start wanted to send bug report No sound booth just stopped in the middle of boot After Effects very very very slow to launch Got a patch earlier tonight said it had fixxes for camera raw i guess bridge and photoshop some acrobat patches and I saw a few media encoder things go bye got my sound booth back but premiere just starts with splash screen ya see loading affter effects plugs then splash goes away never goes in splash did say 4.0.2 waited good hour rebooted did reinstall of 4.0 0 premire rebooted then tried again same thing this time splash said 4.0.0 but same thing starts never finnishes LOL !!
                      • 8. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                        Eddie Lotter Level 4

Bizarre behaviour like that can often be attributed to one or more viruses.

Cheers
                        Eddie

PremiereProPedia    ( RSS feed)
                        - Over 350 frequently answered questions
                        - Over 300 free tutorials
                        - Maintained by editors like you
                        Forum FAQ
                        • 9. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                          creig bryan-mUOxt4 Level 1
                          Period .

KS
                          • 10. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                            Comma ,

SS
                            • 11. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              Anyone care to translate post 7 into English?
                              • 12. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                                Fluther Good
                                PRCS4 has begun crashing right in the middle of a project. Six times with a "serious problem" and has to be restarted. I have installed new drivers for my NVIDIA Geforce 7600GT but that hasn't helped. I downloaded available Adobe updates (nothing for PR) and I will try again. Unfortunately I don't have CS3 so I can't fall back on something else.
                                • 13. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                                  Level 1
                                  I installed CS4 on 2 computers and had different problems on each, all with standard DV. on one I gave up completely. on the other I've been able to edit 2 one-hour 3-camera shows, though with sporadic playback and many crashes. I cannot print back to tape or export any format. I got the program out of there by bringing the files on a firewire drive to another computer with an old version of Encore and having it encode. BTW Encore CS4 also crashes like crazy. I'm hitting Ctl-S all the time in both PP and Encore. I just realized the other day that I hadn't uninstalled CS3 on the 2nd computer. I opened it and it works quite well so I'm uninstalling CS4 as have others.

I certainly wish Adobe would be more forthcoming about hardware and software configurations which work. the approved video card list is exactly the same as for CS3 so they obviously haven't updated it (many of the cards listed are no longer being made). that's not acceptable. Avid lists not only which cards have been tested but which driver to use. if CS4 is for any modern computer then it's a failure. if it has certain requirements then let us know. if would be great if everyone who reads this forum and has a working CS4 system would list their hardware and system info and anything special they did to get it working, like a clean OS install or other finagling. I love they way CS4 finally is looking like a really interconnected system through dynamic link, but some of the links ain't working for a lot of us, especially PPCS4.

- joey
                                  • 14. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                                    I too am having major issues with CS4. Have used earlier versions of Premiere for years and have never had problems.
                                    I upgraded to CS4 a couple of weeks ago on the same Vaio laptop that already had CS3 which worked perfectly. I use Vista home premium, no tweaks to the laptop. I've installed the 4.0.1 update.
                                    I'm reverting to CS3 for some projects just to get the work done.
                                    Do Adobe read these forums, or respond to them?
                                    • 15. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                      >Do Adobe read these forums, or respond to them?

They generally don't respond. Your guess is as good as mine as to whether they read them.
                                      • 16. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                                        As a newb about to buy an expensive PC & invest in CS4, these threads really confuse me. hehe.

Some ppl love CS4, & some, the opposite.

Dunno what to do
                                        • 17. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                                          Phil Griffith Level 2
                                          I'd say wait till the dust settles on cs4.
                                          • 18. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            Dillon123,

I'm pretty much with you, as I am waiting and watching to see how it goes.

One thing that you might look at is the number of posts from forum users, who have successfully installed and like CS4. Many, like Jim Simon and Harm Millard, have furnished extensive lists of their equipment and OS's, plus configuration details. You might get some ideas of what seems to be working for the these folk.

There are also quite a few threads on hardware. Usually, recs. on what has worked well for others, can be found in these.

Requires some reading, but might well be worth it, especially if you are buying, or building a rig just for CS4.

Good luck,

Hunt
                                            • 19. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                                              shooternz Level 6
                                              The weirdness remains for many users that a high spec system that can happily run CS3 can not do the same with CS4. (despite meeting the required hardware specs and following all the advised trouble shooting docs).
                                              • 20. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                >I too am having major issues with CS4.

With what kind of media, Jonathan?
                                                • 21. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                                                  I will say I just switched to CS4 (mostly because I wanted the Media Encoder and avchd support), and I notice that file playback of at least h.264 files are much worse in CS4. Also CS4 seems to crash a lot more than CS3 for me as well. So overall my limited experience in v4 vs. 3 is decreased perf+stability in CS4, but for now I'm toughing it out and trying to make it work. Definitely alomst went back to CS3, however.
                                                  • 22. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                                                    Level 1
                                                    >Definitely alomst went back to CS3, however.

That's funny...that reminds me of the Ron Burgandy movie with Wil Ferrel (this works 60 precent of the time...all the time). :-)
                                                    • 23. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                      >I notice that file playback of at least h.264 files are much worse in CS4.

Much worse than what? CS3 didn't have AVCHD support.
                                                      • 24. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                                                        Level 1
                                                        "Much worse than what? CS3 didn't have AVCHD support."

5D MKII files are h.264 encoded quicktime .MOV files. These MOV files play significantly more smoothly in CS3 vs. CS4.
                                                        • 25. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                                                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                          Got it. (Surprised, though.)
                                                          • 26. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                                                            I, too, used to have a large number of crashes. I only use mpeg, since that is what the cameras make.

After being frustrated for a long time, I bought a new system with 12GB of memory and Vista 64-bit.

That was it. Strangely, no one on this forum suggested 64-bit would help mitigate crashes. CS4 still has a few crashes, but probably 1/20th as frequent as with 4GB and Vista 32bit. And mpeg's work wonderfully well with it (I don't know about any other file type).

Of course, Adobe should teach people about it, and their programmers should put up messages instead of crashing, since the program can always trap every error and no program should crash, running out of memory or not.

Hoping this helps...
                                                            • 27. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                                                              Level 1
                                                              I run 6GB on Vista 64-bit, but have also run with 8GB. One of my next thoughts was to run 12GB DDR3 as I do notice RAM is heavily used (but it's always actually hard to tell with Vista with its confusing SuperFetch feature that uses more RAM than required). It's interesting to see that you no longer see crashes with 12GB. Yes I would agree that there must be bugs/design flaws in CS4 then around memory management in some circumstances.

Actually one of things I did when using MP4 files was to run the cursor through the timeline and watch my mem utilization go up towards 6GB quickly (as I assumed Premiere was loading all/part of the clips into memory). If I did that enough, Premiere would hang rather than doing something smart like releasing memory or caching to the HD. Now that I'm using m2v files, however, I no longer see this behavior, even though I think the m2v files are similar in size to the mp4s.
                                                              • 28. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                                                                Actually, Vista doesn't waste any memory. To see what memory is being using by an application, call up Task Manager and go to the Processes tab. If the Commit Size column is not shown, click on View > Select Columns to enable it. This shows the amount of memory the application says it needs (not necessarily what it already has).

Now monitor Commit Size for the following Image Names: Adobe Premiere Pro.exe *32, ImporterProcessServer.exe *32, PhotoshopServer.exe *32, processcoordinationserver.exe *32, and AfterFX.exe *32. These are all Adobe Production Premium CS4 applications. And if you started it, AME could be up, too. Even with Vista 64-bit, each application can have only 4GB (a benefit of modifying PPro as a full 64-bit application would remove that 4GB restriction), although two of mine top at around 2.5GB, while the others less.

It becomes easy to see that Vista 32-bit with its 2GB limit per application is simply not sustainable for PPro alone, let alone the entire suite.
                                                                • 29. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                                                                  Level 1
                                                                  I have an update to my own Premier CS4 story. I purchased a new computer (Quad Processor, 64 bit, tons of ram and tons of disk space.) As a result Premier CS4 is running flawlessly (knock on wood) although I haven't really exercised it yet with a big project.

I can only shake my head and wonder what the developers at Adobe were thinking. It seems not reasonable to expect everyone to update their systems in order to run CS4.

I am still hoping that they get their s*** together so I can use the copy that I purchased for my home office that still runs crappy even though it is nearly identical to the pc I have in my studio except that it is 32 bit.

Good luck to all :(
                                                                  • 30. Re: CS4 Crashes continuously
                                                                    Level 1
                                                                    Lee - yes did not mean to imply Vista wasted memory per se, but if you read up on SuperFetch, you'll see that it allocates memory even for apps you may not be using. It tries to anticipate what apps you'll use and pre-allocate memory. This is why you may see that when you have 1-2 simple apps open, Task Manager>Performance memory bar may show 6 GB being used.

But good point, Premiere is a 32-bit app therefore can only address up to 4GB of memory (it's behind Photoshop and Lightroom in this regard). So me getting 12 GB when I already have 6GB (on Vista 64)should not make a difference, unless I'm running other apps at the same time (which at this point I'm not, and I've disabled whatever PhotoshopServer.exe is, I'm not aware of needing anything Photoshop-related running when Photoshop is not open).

This does beg the question though, as you point out Premiere is composed of Adobe Premiere Pro.exe *32 + ImporterProcessServer.exe *32, can each of these address 4GB separately for a total of 8GB? In that case having more than 8GB when running Premiere may be beneficial (8 GB for the 2 Premiere EXEs and some OS/other app buffer). Also, what does ImporterProcessServer.exe do exactly? I suspect it's in charge of pulling the physical clips/media into Premiere...it does seem to use more memory from what I've seen.