17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2009 10:21 AM by the_wine_snob

Trouble Getting Files From mini-DVD (Handycam)

Bill Seper Level 1
      I don't know the first thing about those little camcorders that record to mini-DVD, but I'm working on a movie for a girl's dance team, and while most of what they gave me to work with was miniDV on an external HD, they did give me a mini-DVD with just under four minutes of footage on it to use also. Fortunately that disc isn't very important to them, and I don't really have to use it.

Anyway, I can't play the disc in my set-top DVD player; it says there's no disc. My computer's DVD player will play it fine using PowerDVD Player. I tried to rip the disc using DVD-Shrink and it acts like there's no disc in the tray too. Then I managed to rip it to the desktop as an ISO image with DVD-Decrypter with no problems. After that I tried to open the ISO image with DVD Shrink and it says: "Invalid UDF File System".

So, anyone have any idea how I can get the VOB files from this ISO image?
        • 1. Re: Trouble Getting Files From mini-DVD (Handycam)
          shooternz Level 6
          try copying and then renaming the xxxx.vob files as xxxx.mpeg
          • 2. Re: Trouble Getting Files From mini-DVD (Handycam)
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            I think he's saying there are no VOB files yet. It's just an ISO image.
            • 3. Re: Trouble Getting Files From mini-DVD (Handycam)
              Bill Seper Level 1
              Right Jim. I'm trying to figure out how to get VOB's from the ISO.
              • 5. Re: Trouble Getting Files From mini-DVD (Handycam)
                Bill Seper Level 1
                Well I don't have that one, but I do have their AnyDVD program, and it seems to just ignore the DVD drive with that mini in there. And the program doesn't open files from the hard drive.
                • 6. Re: Trouble Getting Files From mini-DVD (Handycam)
                  Eddie Lotter Level 4

You need to mount the ISO file as a virtual drive using the software Jeff recommended. Then you can copy the VOB files off the virtual drive.

Cheers
                  Eddie

PremiereProPedia    ( RSS feed)
                  - Over 350 frequently answered questions
                  - Over 300 free tutorials
                  - Maintained by editors like you
                  Forum FAQ
                  • 7. Re: Trouble Getting Files From mini-DVD (Handycam)
                    Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                    Jeff, have you compared VirtualCloneDrive to MagicISO? That's the one I found first and never looked further.
                    • 8. Re: Trouble Getting Files From mini-DVD (Handycam)
                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                      >have you compared VirtualCloneDrive to MagicISO?

No. At the time, VCD was recommended for the material I was given.
                      • 9. Re: Trouble Getting Files From mini-DVD (Handycam)
                        Bill Seper Level 1
                        Well Virtual CloneDrive is free, so I gave it a try. Didn't work though. After mounting the ISO file in it and then trying to open or explore I get a message saying "The disc Structure is corrupted and unreadable." I figured that would happen.

Also, since DVD Encrypter was able to rip the file to the desktop I thought maybe if I used it to burn a new DVD copy that it might fix whatever the problem was in the process. But I couldn't open the new disc with DVD Shrink either. I guess it's just too corrupted. Either that or there's something proprietory that's going on with these miniDVD's within the camcorder. Like I say, I've never used one before, so I'm not even sure how people that own these things normally get the files into their computer. That is, I wonder if these camcorders have firewire and that maybe you have to capture from the camcorder via firewire just like a miniDV cam?

Thanks
                        • 10. Re: Trouble Getting Files From mini-DVD (Handycam)
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Charles,

A shot in the dark here, but can you make a Copy of your miniDVD, with a program like ImgBurn, Nero, etc.? I've found that doing a Copy can often "save" a corrupt, or malfunctioning CD/DVD. If you can do this, I'd also give ImgBurn a try to burn a DVD-Video from the ISO. That might work and get you a VOB. Or, it might not work at all.

Good luck,

Hunt
                          • 11. Re: Trouble Getting Files From mini-DVD (Handycam)
                            Bill Seper Level 1
                            Well I think I kind of did that Bill. That is, I managed to rip the DVD to the desktop via DVD Encrypter and then burned the new ISO file to a new DVD. It still wouldn't open with anything I have that converts ISO to VOB files.

I looked at Sony's website about Handycams and it says this:

"After finalizing the disc in the camcorder, the disc can play back in most DVD Players".

The disc they gave me is a DVD-RW. Maybe the disc hasn't been finalized?

But Sony also says:

"With DVD+RW media there is no need to finalize the disc (minimum recording required); simply remove the finalized disc and insert the media into a compatible DVD or Blu-ray Disc Player."

But the disc they gave me is DVD-RW rather than DVD+RW. At any rate I'm wondering now if maybe they should have finalized the disc before giving it to me and forgot to do it. The disc only has about 4-minutes of footage on it, so I'm guessing maybe they didn't finalize it because they thought they would add more later. I'll have to track down the owner and see what they have to say.

Thanks
                            • 12. Re: Trouble Getting Files From mini-DVD (Handycam)
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              >I'm not even sure how people that own these things normally get the files into their computer.

Most of them probably don't. These cameras are definitely made for the shoot and watch crowd, and just aren't the best choice when editing is involved.
                              • 13. Re: Trouble Getting Files From mini-DVD (Handycam)
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                Charles,

Shot in the dark here, but can you use Nero/Roxio to "finalize" the disc. I've been able to do that with various RW's, that had been recorded with InCD, or DLA. Then, my other machines, without those packet-writing programs, could open it and use it properly. Do not know what conventions the Sony camera might use, but you could get lucky.

In my case, I have one old machine with Nero and InCD, and another with Roxio DLA. As neither of these two programs play well with any Adobe burning software, I keep them segregated in a corner, gathering dust, but they do come in handy once in a while. If you can, do not install any packet-writing software on any Adobe machine, ever. You may also have to find a friend/co-worker with something like those to do this little "conversion." Also, Windows usually has a version of this type of software, but it is not active by default. Cannot recall what that OS module is called. Again, be careful, as Adobe burning and packet-writing software do not mix.

Good luck,

Hunt
                                • 14. Re: Trouble Getting Files From mini-DVD (Handycam)
                                  Bill Seper Level 1
                                  I don't know Bill. I couldn't even get any of the CD/DVD burning software I have to recognize there was anything on the disc, or that there was even a disc in the drive except for DVD Decrypter. I'm guessing the camcorder has some kind of code writing scheme it does to finalize things that's a little different. At any rate, I just edited the footage I had minus the handycam DVD. The lady didn't seem to mind if that was left out. So all is well.

Thanks all.
                                  • 15. Re: Trouble Getting Files From mini-DVD (Handycam)
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    Charles,

I see exactly what you see, when I try to "mount" a CD/DVD recorded with InCD, or DLA, on any of my machines without those packet-writing schemes - the disc is shown as blank, or not seen at all.

Because I have some legacy discs, and also get similar from clients, I keep one machine with Roxio (DLA) and one with Nero (InCD). These were set up that way originally, so I do not know if both schemes will co-exist on one box. They might, but then they might not. Never tried, 'cause I had one of each.

Same disc, that looks blank, or does not even show, on the workstation, will miraculously appear and can be opened and worked with.

Now, if the Sony's scheme is propriatery and is not like either InCD, or DLA, you might get lucky if you can get the Sony software for that camera from the client.

Good luck,

Hunt
                                    • 16. Re: Trouble Getting Files From mini-DVD (Handycam)
                                      Bill Seper Level 1
                                      Thanks Bill; that makes some sense to me. Roxio came with my DVD burner, and while I haven't cared for it in the past, this Creator 6 version actually burns CDs just fine. I still use DVD Decrypter to burn DVDs though. Anyhow, I did try to open the miniDVD with Roxio and it didn't see it in the drive, so whatever packet writing it's using doesn't appear to be Roxio (unless it's corrupted). I unfortunately don't have Nero on this machine, so I don't know if it would open it or not.

I'll be re-doing this project after the kids have their finals competition in a couple of weeks. The DVD I just did is to be shown at a banquest today. The lady is supposed to try and capture the video to her own HD and give it to me as either DV or something else then. So we'll see what happens in round 2.

Thanks for your help.
                                      • 17. Re: Trouble Getting Files From mini-DVD (Handycam)
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        Charles,

One possible solution (so obvious, but I didn't even think of it) would be to have this person come to you with the camera. With luck, you might be able to capture directly FROM that camera into PrP, or even WMM. If you do use WMM, remember that its Export is DV-AVI Type I. These can cause problems (usually sync issues in PrP), but many programs do an excellent job of converting DV-AVI Type I's to Type II's. Sorry for my brain cramp at not thinking of this method.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS as for Roxio not working, I have found that its packet-writing module will not work with Nero's, and vice versa. Also, if the camera uses yet a third, neither Roxio, or Nero may work with it. Too danged many proprietary schemes!