9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2009 7:02 AM by joshtownsend

Possible to have a 23.97 fps scene in 29.97 fps project?

ButchMo
      Hi. I have a quick question.
      I have a HD 29.97fps project Im working in, and I have imported a clip that is 23.97 fps, and when I encode it all, that short clip is jumping, as it probably should, cause I didn't change any settings on it.
      My question is: can I somehow change it to 29.97, so it can flow without "skipping/jumping"?
      Thank you for any answer.
        • 1. Re: Possible to have a 23.97 fps scene in 29.97 fps project?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Most 24 fps clips from a camera come wrapped in a standard 30i cadence, so they should work fine with normal video material. The look will be different, but it should play fine without changing anything.

The exception is if the 24 fps clip was actually recorded at 23.976 without any added pulldown. This is more rare, but can be done by certain cameras. In which case, not sure how you'd mix it in with regular video. I don't know of any way to add the required pulldown.
          • 2. Re: Possible to have a 23.97 fps scene in 29.97 fps project?
            joshtownsend Level 2
            Or make a new 24p sequence then drop in your 29.9 timeline. Isn't the whole point of sequences? There there so you can add different framerate/size ect media to your main timeline. Right?
            • 3. Re: Possible to have a 23.97 fps scene in 29.97 fps project?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              But you still have the problem of adding the required fields to make it 30i. Will a simple nest accomplish that?
              • 4. Re: Possible to have a 23.97 fps scene in 29.97 fps project?
                joshtownsend Level 2
                I'm not talking about the project file itself, I'm talking about the files that appear in the project window every time you create a new sequence. You can drag the sequence into another sequence. It's basically nesting but you don't have to select all the clips and tell it to nest.

This from the Adobe help
                "A project may contain multiple sequences, and the sequences within a project may differ from one another in their settings. Within a single project, you can edit individual segments as separate sequences, and then combine the segments into a finished program by nesting them into a longer sequence. Similarly, you can store multiple variations of a sequence, as separate sequences, in the same project."

Notice the first sentence. The whole reason they created 'sequence settings' INSTEAD of 'project settings' isn't because it's cool to have multiple projects open it is like the help and tutorials say 'A project may contain multiple sequences, and the sequences within a project may differ from one another in their settings.' and 'you can store multiple variations of a sequence, as separate sequences, in the same project.'
                • 5. Re: Possible to have a 23.97 fps scene in 29.97 fps project?
                  joshtownsend Level 2
                  http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/WS1BF3BAAB-A930-44e3-8DFA-50D5C58A1A1Aa.html
                  • 6. Re: Possible to have a 23.97 fps scene in 29.97 fps project?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    Have you tried this yet, Josh? Is the proper pulldown added when you nest like that?
                    • 7. Re: Possible to have a 23.97 fps scene in 29.97 fps project?
                      joshtownsend Level 2
                      Yeah, I did it every time I brought SD footage (basically news clips because my flicks based on a real serial killer) into my main movie timeline which is 108024p dvcprohd I did it that way. Also everytime I shot slow-mo stuff 720p(which as you know can only be shot 720 with the HVX) I made a new sequence for it then dropped the sequence into my main timeline. I also recreated some news footage that I shot 720 60p. Did the same, made a new sequence matching the footage then dropped it in the timeline.

The whole reason they changed Premiere to use sequences isn't so you can have multiple projects open, it so you can mix different media in one timeline using multiple sequences.

The confusing part about this is your sequence is basically a nest, but it's not exactly the same as using the 'Nest' feature. When you nest a few clips you can't change the project settings. When create a new sequence you can change the settings but it's still a nest.

Actually as far as I can tell CS4 treats project files(PR and AE), dynamic link files, nested sequences and regular 'Timeline Sequences' all the same. You just drop it from the project window into the timeline.

I see if can get part of a scene online to show you, but most of the nested stuff is towards the end of the movie and it would spoilerish.
                      We just made a deal for the composing, sound design, foley and re-recording (final mix) today so it'll be 2 months before I can start posting footage online.
                      • 8. Re: Possible to have a 23.97 fps scene in 29.97 fps project?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        Interesting.

How do you find Premiere's ability to do such frame rate conversions? (Because let's face it, it has never been particularly good at this sort of thing in the past.)
                        • 9. Re: Possible to have a 23.97 fps scene in 29.97 fps project?
                          joshtownsend Level 2
                          It doesn't seem to speed it up but it's hard to tell because I've mainly been working with DvcproHD and which is fast no matter what.