10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2009 3:42 PM by Keith_Andrews

New Member / Video Card Choice Question

Bases Loaded Level 1
      New CS4 Production Premium User Here.

I am building a computer system specifically for Video Editing and production for use with Premier CS4 & Sony Vegas.. Have been doing my usual amount of Over Research here and other places but have a series of issues I am having a little trouble coming to grips with.

I have been into computer editing game for a long time but strictly in the Audio Recording /Mixing area /..
      Video is a new interest which has me hooked / Im also a Gear Junkie so I have to watch it. 

I will probably be back with a couple more topics but to keep this thread simple /
      My first post question is the topic of Video cards: Adobes Hardware compatibility list seems a little out dated. ?

The system does not have to be an ultimate gaming rig as I am not into that / just SD & HD Video editing & 3d effects.. I need a card which will do what is needed / works well with Premier CS4 / Is not too loud fan wise / can run 24/5 and not overheat.
      I also will need the ability to monitor on a HD TV with a good sound monitoring system / Midas / Bryston / Dynaudio etc;

I was considering either of the following / from lowest price to highest.

ASUS GeForce 9600GT Silent 650MHZ 512MB 1.8GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out

ASUS GeForce 9800GT Matrix 612MHZ 512MB 1.8GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out

ASUS GeForce 9800GTX+ Dk 740MHZ 512MB 2.3GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out

Questions:
      Is a 512mb card sufficient?
      Will all of the above do what is needed for my purpose?
      What about noise of heat issues.

My system could be running close to 24/5 at times.
      Have not made a final decision on all components but will probably basically start of like this.

Vista 64 Bit/OS
      Core I7 940
      Asus Rampage 2 Extreme or a plain P6T
      Antec 1200 Case / For now I will leave out the hard drives and other things on my list.

My builder suggests to stick with ASUS Video Cards because he has the fastest warranty replacement service on his end for ASUS products / plus I am a total ASUS Motherboard guy with years satisfied experiences.. (in Audio setups).

Any feedback or comments on the above will be appreciated.

Thanks / Orion
        • 1. Re: New Member / Video Card Choice Question
          Keith_Andrews Level 1
          A video cards memory will rarely help performance in video editing unless you are using effects that utilize the GPU, most don't. In fact in Premiere alone there are only a total of 8 effects that are written to utilize the GPU. Where video memory is important is for displaying higher resolutions, faster frame rates, and more colors. Video editing typically does not require the same from a system as running games and other video intensive applications.

If you are really trying to build a system exclusively for video editing and graphics design then I would consider nvidia's QUADRO line of graphics cards. They are designed for CADD, Video Editing, Graphics Design, etc...

512mb would be just fine for SD/HD editing, and by HD I mean HDV and DVCProHD, not uncompressed HD. Keep in mind that different codecs utilize different components of the system. I for instance edit AVCHD which utilizes the H.264 codec. That codec is very CPU dependant and therefor my priority was a faster multicore processor.

What will really make the difference with the majority of SD and HD editing will be your hard drive data transfer rate. A RAID is a must on any video editing system. The Western Digital Raptor line is a very popular choice, as are the Lacie external drives over eSata.
          • 2. Re: New Member / Video Card Choice Question
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            >A RAID is a must on any video editing system.

I disagree. Any modern drive will be more than fast enough even for multiple streams with most camera footage. You may want one for data security, but you really don't need one for speed. (Unless you're working with Uncompressed.)
            • 3. Re: New Member / Video Card Choice Question
              don solomon Level 1
              Jim, I agree you.

For one thing a 'RAID'is a variable. What kind? Raid0 RAID1 or 5. It depends, but none of then are normally necessary for straight video--uncompressed--maybe.

As for Lacie Externals being better than eSATA. We use both, and the eSATA2 drives are definitely faster than the Lacies. High Speed Raptors,of course, are good drives in any case.
              • 4. Re: New Member / Video Card Choice Question
                Bill Seper Level 1
                "I disagree. Any modern drive will be more than fast enough even for multiple streams with most camera footage."

Normally I'd agree except he also said something about working with 3D. I haven't worked with 3D myself, but from what I understand it's very demanding on onboard video RAM.
                • 5. Re: New Member / Video Card Choice Question
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  3D work would require graphics resources, not hard drive resources. (Again, unless it's Uncompressed. Which, I admit, 3D work very well could be.)
                  • 6. Re: New Member / Video Card Choice Question
                    Bill Seper Level 1
                    Sorry Jim; gosh, I didn't read your post well at all and assumed for some reason that you guys were talking about the speed of the RAM on the video cards he had posted and thought the 2.3GHZ DDR3 spec of the last card he mentioned should be much better for 3D.

I don't work in hi-def yet, so I'll certainly defer to you when it comes to RAID and HD requirements for it as I'm clueless about that.
                    • 7. Re: New Member / Video Card Choice Question
                      Bases Loaded Level 1
                      Thanks Members for the Feedback:

I am trying to stick just to the Video Card Issues so the topic does not get all over the map / Raid issues have already been researched & I might have a question about that later in another thread.

Witha the video card issue I am just trying to see if I can get a reply which the majority of users agree upon / not an easy task & that is were my confused state of topic started.

b Keith
                      It seems what you have said about QUADRO cards is the most agreed upon overall from my last three months of research at various locations / The cost is extreme for these cards & I was just trying to determime if I realy needed to go that far : >$2,000.00 and up.
                      just for the Graphics card..

Perhaps I should start of with one of the cards I first mentioned which are dirt cheep compared to the Quadro series and replace it when I have arrived at the point where my shills are beyond my hardware limitations.

b Charles & Jim.
                      Thanks for the reference to the . >ASUS GeForce 9800GTX+ Dk 740MHZ 512MB 2.3GHZ DDR3< I was thinking this might be the best to start with / except for the reported could be problems of / Noise / card size and Heat issues if running 24/5?

Other issues you have stated also seem to be agreed upon from mny sources as well / which is why I am considering perhaps not going Raid "o" from the start / perhaps Raid 5.. / or No Raid until I see If realy need it for my own personal use level.

b conclusion to this point in the game:

Looks like If I do a top notch system following all the higher end recomendations it will cost me over $10,000.00 (if I include a capture card / raid card (Areca 1220 or 1240(don't want to get into that topic just yet)& all the extras... This is about double the investment I had planned as this is basically a serious hobby not a business venture. Plus we have not included another $6,000.00 for a half decent peosumer HD camera with a few extras. I was trying to keep the entire setup to 8 to 10 grand total.. Not including the software / so this looks like wishfull thinking at best / Ho Ho.

b remember / unfortunately my pricing reflects Canadian $$ which includes a 25% hike in pricing because our government wants the loonie (Good Name) low valued so businesses can export our products at built in 25% Sale Pricing.

Perhaps,we wont get into that topic/please, but I just couldn't resist / when I start thinking about government issues (anywhere in this world) I tend to go off the deep end as part of why I am going into this video thing is to document the destruction of our environment & the entire democratic process, which is a total farce in my neck of the woods. Nuff Said..

Again Thanks for the input and I will keep watching and perhaps cover another topic later / my goal is to place an order for a build within the next 10 days of so.

B Orion
                      • 8. Re: New Member / Video Card Choice Question
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        For video editing, you can get a very decent rig for about $2,000 or so. It won't be the best out there, certainly, but it'll be well into the "kick-***" range for computers (which have a tendency to require more and more dough and provide smaller and smaller improvements).

Where things may start to get 'expensive' is doing 3D work. What are your plans on that front?
                        • 9. Re: New Member / Video Card Choice Question
                          don solomon Level 1
                          If it is just a serious hobby and you don't plan on very serious 3D as another hobby, you should very easily make your goal. As Jim said,$2000 will certainly put you into a serious video editing machine. The camera is where the extra money should go, IMO.

What you'd pay for a state of the art machine today, will cost you 40% less in a year. Why buy computing power that you won't need to run the present software you plan to use, unless you just want it for the joy of having it.:)
                          • 10. Re: New Member / Video Card Choice Question
                            Keith_Andrews Level 1
                            Orion,

I personally use the Nvidia Quadro FX1700 for my video editing application. It serves me very well and I have never had any issues with drivers, or performance with these line of cards. The FX1700 can be had for around $600 USD. One word, Ebay. Look for either system pulled, or used. It also does not require additional power from your power supply. Anything above the FX1700 will require you to run additional power to the card. Also, keep in mind that Adobe and Nvidia have established a partnership and offer some very enticing solutions together.