11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2009 1:19 PM by Jim_Simon

Nesting

pebalsamo Level 2
      OK, I have been using CS4 for a long time.... Well I got it yesterday and I am already on my second post. I have been using CS 3 for a couple of years.

Anyway I want to nest one sequence into another and it is not letting me. I have 3 different sequences. We will call them SQ1, SQ2, and SQ3. So I want to nest SQ3 to the end of SQ1, but it will not let me. I can put SQ2 at the end of SQ1, and I can put SQ3 and the end of SQ2. The only thing I cannot do is put SQ3 at the end of SQ1.

Now I have worked around this by making a new sequence and nesting SQ1 and SQ3 in that new sequence, but that is not really what I wanted to do. So if anyone knows why or might know why I could not nest SQ3 into SQ1 but could nest any other combo of sequences please pass it along...

Thanks
      Phil
        • 1. Re: Nesting
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Is it possible you have already nested SQ1 in SQ3? That would prevent you from nesting SQ3 in SQ1,

Can you reproduce the problem in a new project?

Cheers
          Eddie

PremiereProPedia    ( RSS feed)
          - Over 350 frequently answered questions
          - Over 300 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          Forum FAQ
          • 2. Re: Nesting
            pebalsamo Level 2
            SQ1 is not in SQ3... Good thought though...

How can I try to reproduce it in another project???

Thanks
            Phil
            • 3. Re: Nesting
              shooternz Level 6
              Try duplicating the problematic sequence (with a new name) and see if it will nest after that?

or

Try Deleting your render files maybe.

Good luck.
              • 4. Re: Nesting
                pebalsamo Level 2
                I will give it a shot and see...

Like I said though, it will nest with one sequence but not the other. Then I just set up a new sequence and the two nested in there just fine...

Thanks
                Phil
                • 5. Re: Nesting
                  joshtownsend Level 2
                  Why even nest them? Just drop the sequence project files into the timeline and it's basically like nesting? Does that make sense?
                  • 6. Re: Nesting
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    No. Sequences don't create 'project' files. Only projects do. And you can't bring a project file into the same project. (I think. Haven't actually tried that yet with CS4.)
                    • 7. Re: Nesting
                      pebalsamo Level 2
                      Do you mean to copy all the clips from the sequence SQ3 and paste them into SQ1. If so I tried that and that did not work either.

Just one of those weird things that I cannot recreate

Phil
                      • 8. Re: Nesting
                        joshtownsend Level 2
                        I'll repeat:

I'm not talking about the project file itself, I'm talking about the files that appear in the project window every time you create a new sequence. You can drag the sequence into another sequence. It's basically nesting but you don't have to select all the clips and tell it to nest.

This from the Adobe help
                        "A project may contain multiple sequences, and the sequences within a project may differ from one another in their settings. Within a single project, you can edit individual segments as separate sequences, and then combine the segments into a finished program by nesting them into a longer sequence. Similarly, you can store multiple variations of a sequence, as separate sequences, in the same project."

Notice the first sentence. The whole reason they created 'sequence settings' INSTEAD of 'project settings' isn't because it's cool to have multiple projects open it is like the help and tutorials say 'A project may contain multiple sequences, and the sequences within a project may differ from one another in their settings.' and 'you can store multiple variations of a sequence, as separate sequences, in the same project.'

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/WS1BF3BAAB-A930-44e3-8DFA-50D5C58A1A1Aa.html
                        • 9. Re: Nesting
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          >It's basically nesting but you don't have to select all the clips and tell it to nest.

You've never had to "select all the clips and tell it to nest". In fact, I don't think you ever could do that even if you wanted to. It was never a 'feature' of Premiere.

You've always just dragged one sequence into anther one. That's nesting, no basically about it.
                          • 10. Re: Nesting
                            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                            >You've never had to "select all the clips and tell it to nest". In fact, I don't think you ever could do that even if you wanted to. It was never a 'feature' of Premiere.

CS4 lets you select clips in a sequence and immediately replace them with a nested sequence that contains the originally selected clips. It's just like AE's pre-compose feature.
                            • 11. Re: Nesting
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              Aaah. New feature. Thanks Jeff.