1 2 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2011 11:46 AM by CZorn RSS

CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4

Tried everything...

I'm on a mac. When I go to "export/media", a popup comes up, I choose my settings (in my case 960x540 PhotoJPEG @ 23.976) Click export...

It slowly opens up Adobe Media Encoder... I see the entry in the queue. I click "Start Queue".. and nothing. It just sits there saying "Loading/Waiting".

Anyone else have these problems?

I can't understand why its so difficult just to export a simple quicktime file from Premiere, unless I'm doing it wrong.
        • 1. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
          Community Member
          More info:

If I just let it wait it out... it eventually logs the error. I also tried multiple formats.

From the "source" line... I checked if the file actually existed in that location, and it does appear to be.

Any help... adobe?

- Source File: /Users/wesball/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/TEST Output.prproj
          - Output File: /Users/wesball/Desktop/Sequence 01.mov
          - Preset Used: 960x540 PhotoJPEG @ 23.976
          - Video:
          - Audio:
          - Bitrate:
          - Encoding Time: 00:46:16
          Sat Nov 8 01:16:24 2008 : Encoding Failed
          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Could not read from the source. Please check if it has moved or been deleted.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------
          - Source File: /Users/wesball/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/ISOH_Trailer3_2.prproj
          - Output File: /Users/wesball/Desktop/Trailer 3_1.mp4
          - Preset Used: Sony PSP Widescreen Video High Quality
          - Video:
          - Audio:
          - Bitrate:
          - Encoding Time: 11:24:01
          Sat Nov 8 23:56:00 2008 : Encoding Failed
          • 2. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
            J. Simon Community Member
            Is it possible in this case the 'source' means the original media?
            • 3. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
              Wade S Zimmerman Community Member
              I just hit start queue and after a few seconds it starts the encoding.

If this is helpful.
              • 4. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                Community Member
                To me, the location for your source file seems wonky. It seems strange to be in a cache or temporary item folder. Have you checked to see if those items still reside in the source folder?
                • 5. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                  Bill Gehrke MVP
                  Sorry, I entered the PC info until I reread your post
                  • 6. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                    Deemac1965 Community Member
                    I have the same problem. The source file cannot be found!! I can't find the location of this file either. THIS IS A SERIOUS BACKWARDS STEP ADOBE!!!!!!!!!!

I am unable to render any movie files from a movie editing program!! WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS?

VERY, VERY UNHAPPY WITH ADOBE (and it cost me £615 to upgarde to a product that no longer functions!!!!!!)
                    • 7. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                      Community Member
                      Do you have CS3 and CS4 on your mac or did you removed CS3 after you installed CS4?

If that's the case on a PC you get that error message. My solution is to remove CS3 (if you not already done) and reinstall CS4. After I did that the error message disappeared. Don't know if it works for the Mac.
                      • 8. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                        I am on a PC not a Mac.

Yes I do have CS3 still installed. As it happens when I went back to open the file in CS3 (and re-did all the edits!!) It would still not render via media encoder!!!!! I have rendered an uncompressed version tho.

I see were all doing Adobe's beta testing for them!!! This will be my last upgrade from Adobe unless there is a die-for facility (which there wasn't in CS4 - or CS3 or CS2 for that matter!!)

If I can face the CS3 & 4 unistall then re-install CS4 I may try it!! (but not today - I'm completely sickened - hey must be a program upgrade free entitlement!!!!!!)
                        • 9. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                          Community Member
                          Here the same solution: http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6f403/3

I know Premiere can be really frustrating :). Hope they bring a update soon that will fix some annoying bugs.
                          • 10. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                            Thanks for this link. I'll look at this when I've calmed down.

I did discover that if I rendered the movie via CS3 uncompressed, then opened CS4 Media encoder and added this file, it would then create the compressed version. Before this I moved the uncompressed file to the C drive (I usually have all my movies on external USB drives) Bit of a pain but it works.
                            • 11. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                              Had the same problem (re:first post above). But a re-install made it work fine. Wondering if there's a quicker command to render to bypass hitting "start queue" in Encoder.
                              • 12. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                GiantSimon Community Member
                                Hello,
                                I'm on a Mac running a clean install of Adobe CS4 Master Collection - and I have the same behaviour from Adobe Media Encoder CS4 refusing to render/compress any clips from Adobe Premiere Pro CS4.

It puts the "source file" in a temp folder -and the error log says "Could not read from the source. Please check if it has moved or been deleted."

During my troubleshooting I've restarted the machine, moved the cache file, output files and changed caching preferences. I've fixed "permissions" on the Start up disk (a Mac-only phenomenon)

No luck.
                                I don't have and have never installed CS3 on this system - so it doesn't have that "uninstall CS3 issue."

I DID, however, run an update from Adobe that seems to correspond with this issue. The Encoder worked before anyhow. My current version of Premiere is 4.0.1, Media Encoder is 4.0.0 from the OS, but shows 4.0.1.078 in the "About" dialog box.

The Adobe Updater claimed that this 4.0.1 update would fix issues with the Media Encoder - I didn't give it much thought until now.

-- WORK AROUND ANSWER --
                                Since I don't have a lot of time to beta test the Adobe Software, here's what I did to work around the stubborn issue today. Open up your Premiere Sequence in Adobe After Effects CS4 and use it's Render Que instead. -- For the most part, it looks like this will solve my issue for today. Be sure to check your work. Audio levels, transitions, Title/CG effects might get all whopper-jawed from this backdoor approach.

Fortunately, the project I have to output today is a simple video edit.
                                • 13. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                  Thanks Jamiehurt that worked for now!!!
                                  • 14. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                    I have the same issues with After Effects CS4 on Vista x64. It started with AE CS3 where I had to render a sequence. It failed (won't start).
                                    After that EA CS3 AND CS4 won't render anything anymore. Even a simple timeline with a tiff sequence. The media encoder window will come up, but when choosing "quicktime" or "windows media" AE CS4 locks up.

Currently unstalled CS4 and CS3 and reinstalling both... hope it helps.
                                    • 15. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                      Jeff Bellune ACP
                                      Perhaps you want the AE forum?
                                      • 16. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                        Community Member
                                        He he I noticed later that this was the premiere forum.

BUT the issues are the same.. No export from premiere eighter!
                                        The media encoder will hang Premiere.

I reinstalled CS3 and still not working!

WTF? It seems that I have to reinstall my whole system??
                                        I dont have time for this. :-(((
                                        • 17. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                          Community Member
                                          ok after some speed digging i found a solution :-)

here is is and I hop it helps for you too Wes..

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb404804&sliceId=1
                                          • 18. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                            Community Member
                                            This CS4 issue with media encoder seems indeed caused by files/preferences of earlier versions. But just re-install CS4 did not work for me:

first try: Remove all CS3, install CS4 >> media encoder failed.
                                            second try: Remove all CS3 with preference folders, registry; install CS4 >> media encoder failed.
                                            third try: Make a new user account in Vista and run under this account >> worked!!!

So, in my case media encoder still tries to use some old settings/preferences and cannot run a new timeline. (It basically cannot handle the prempro project file.) I now kept the new user account and threw away the old one; I couldn't find which settings confused the encoder.... It works now. (thanks for pointing into that direction Menno)

I am again very surprised how unstable Adobe made this product. I had similar issues in the past; esp. with Vista. Maybe Microsoft is to blame too, but other video products seem to be tested better or are far less fragile. Luckily I had just a trial version which I will remove again; not worth spending so much money on.
                                            Also surprising to see that Adobe has no official fix although this issue has been on the internet for months. And it's a serious issue. It basically makes prempro useless.
                                            (and it's a pity, because I really like the product, when it works....)
                                            • 19. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                              Community Member
                                              I made a shortcut on my desktop to the preference folders.
                                              If one of the Applications don't export, I can easely access the preference files and delete them.
                                              The bad side of doiing this is you lose all export presets.
                                              • 20. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                                Seems to bea vista problem ???
                                                Can't get it working on my Vista PC (not even by installing a new user ...)
                                                But it works on my XP SP3 machine.
                                                • 21. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                                  Community Member
                                                  I'm working on a trial version of Premiere Pro CS4 and it's been great till I got to exporting the project! The encoder opens, no problem but it only encodes one clip. Any suggestions?
                                                  • 22. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                                    (Arri_Reschke)
                                                    OK so i read the whole thread and there is no real solution, only some work arounds that didn't work for me at all.

My issue id the same, Encoder won't Encode and write my Premiere files.

- is there a way to export not using AME

- i have tried but does anyone know if you can get CS4 files into CS3... i liked CS3 ... it could render out my files...

please any help would be great..

and yes i've uninstalled reinstalled etc etc etc

running windows xp64 on mac pro bootcamp

thanks
                                                    later
                                                    • 23. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                                      egrogg011 Community Member
                                                      Hello,

I had the same issue...what I did was change the file name to something in all lower case: test.whateveryouencodeto

I kept getting that failed and tried and worked for me. Hope that helps.
                                                      • 24. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                                        J. Simon Community Member
                                                        >is there a way to export not using AME

No.

>can [you] get CS4 files into CS3

No.
                                                        • 25. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                                          (Arri_Reschke) Community Member
                                                          awesome, i'll give the lower case a try

if there is anyone from adobe reading... when could we expect a fix for this?

thanks
                                                          • 27. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                                            (Arri_Reschke) Community Member
                                                            So i tried a few other things that i read in the forums, coping a premiere shortcut to the dynamiclink directry... didn't work. Now AME won't even launch...

but i have found a work around, which might be obvious to some/all but i didn't know about it and i'm stoked i found it.
                                                            You can import your project into After Effects ( File--Import--Adobe Premiere...) and render out from there...

hope it helps a bit

if anyone finds a proper fix please post

thanks later
                                                            • 28. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                                              hi! I have installed CS4 master pack and it worked just fine. Today when I used Premiere at File->Export->Media... Premiere remain blocked and encoder don't start. Any Ideea ??Thanks a lot!
                                                              • 29. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                                                CZorn Community Member

Hi there:

I'm having the same problems and its frustrating me to pieces.  I'm on a really tight deadline and am a fairly new Priemiere user.  I tried importing the project into After Effects.  I do get an error, but everything seems to load in.  The timelines are not AVI's so how does AE read them and how did you encode from there?  I don't know how to use AFter Effects yet.

• 30. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                                                  ThornieG Community Member

I cannot believe this. I waited until there had been patches etc.. Adobe e seminars raved about the product. Used the Clean uninstall tool to completetly remove all other Adobe products, not just CS3. Then did a clean installation. All looks well. Worked for 4 days on my project. Loving it!!! Try to export - not really an unreasonable objective, I would have thought and Media Encoder will not export. What the hell is this?!?

Now I read in this forum that Adobe have known about this problem for some time and not done anything about it, apparently.

• 31. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                                                    CZorn Community Member

Hello:

I have figured out a work around that is not particularily  technical, but
                                                                    its working for me.  My project is one and a half hours long.  Its  intended to be
                                                                    authored.  So I have many bins full of different media, tons  of titles and
                                                                    14 timelines.  Now the timelines and the renders are the issue  I'm finding.
                                                                    If your project is big, try this.  Adobe felt I could have corrupted project files,

but I've discovered but they are not.

Exit CS4 and create another project  folder.  THen go to open your main
                                                                    project. Resave it into the new project  with a different name so you always
                                                                    have a copy (Make sure you have a copy  of the original too).  If you don't
                                                                    have the ability to delete a number of  timelines from your project folder,
                                                                    then I would suggest cut your project  up. Yes, cut it up in parts that you
                                                                    can knit back together in Encore.  Also  make sure that your preview folders
                                                                    do not collectively exceed 85GYGs.  If  they do, delete some and only render
                                                                    out the section you want to export.   Now try going to the encoder.  It works
                                                                    for me so far.
                                                                    Repeat this for  the remainder of your project.

We should not have to do this, but what  option do we have.  I have 6 weeks
                                                                    into my project and 6 more to go.  Good  luck and let me know how it goes.

CZorn

• 32. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                                                      juve

i have the same problem, plus, a little windows that opnes an says "The native instruments folder has not been found do you want to..." and a YES button, but it doesnt work. im on a MAC. can anybody help me

• 33. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                                                        the_wine_snob Community Member

Are you trying to use the Native Instruments VST's in PrPro?

Hunt

• 34. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                                                          Arnold Velasco

^^ Im having the same problem on my MacPro and im NOT using any Native Instruments VSTs and mine is doing the same thing.... once i try to export adobe premiere cs4 project and Media Encoder opens up, the error message i get is :

- Source File: /Users/..../Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/TEST.prproj
                                                                          - Output File: /Users/..../Desktop/Sequence 01.mov
                                                                          - Preset Used: 1280x7200 PhotoJPEG @ 23.976
                                                                          - Video:
                                                                          - Audio:
                                                                          - Bitrate:
                                                                          - Encoding Time: 00:46:16
                                                                          Sat Nov 8 01:16:24 2008 : Encoding Failed

then a error box "(!) The native instruments folder has not been found ... when i click OK it doesnt do anything and when i try closing Media Encorder CS4, i have to force quit because its not responding.. but the error Native Instruments is still there and wont go away.

PLEASE HELP, ive been trying for 3 days moving plug ins etc... and reinstalling and nothing works.. i dont have cs3 and

• 35. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4

Welcome to the forum.

Besides the cited Native Instruments, what about Soundflower? Baring those two programs, there are tons of VST's, especially the "instruments," that cause issues with loading. Have you tried launching several times? Depending on the # of offending VST's, it could take a dozen re-boots, before the blacklist is fully populated.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 36. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                                                              gavinpape

I work on PC and have a Premiere CS4 project which has dynamically linked AE compositions in its timeline, with voiceovers on the audio track. When I export, AME will launch and will export when I click start queue. When I play the export file, whatever the format the audio plays all the way through but only a small selection of composition footage will play, the majority of the video is just a dark screen. Very frustrating. I used CS3 up to a few weeks ago, but my new job requires me to use Production Premium CS4, and I'm not impressed with it.

• 37. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4

Welcome to the forum.

This would probably be a great topic to post anew, as the people replying might get confused on exactly where this fits into such an old thread, with many other problems.

When you do, I'd also post as much info, as is possible, to keep the questions to a minimum, and give people material to work with. They will get right to your problem much more quickly. This ARTICLE will give you some tips on the types of info that would be so very useful.

Now, maybe one of our tireless MOD's can split this out to a separate thread, but you might want to add a bit more detail.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 38. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4
                                                                                  Arnold Velasco Community Member

this is sooooo frustrating... i have a clean copy of Premiere CS4 and never installed CS3 on my Macbook pro and it wont allow me to encode my videos. Everytime i export the media from premiere to media encoder, it keeps giving me the (!) error

- Source File: C:Users.....AppDataLocalTempSuperman Spoof 1.3.prproj
                                                                                  - Output File: C:UsersanthonyDocumentsAdobePremiere Pro3.0Sequence 01.wmv
                                                                                  - Preset Used: Custom
                                                                                  - Video:
                                                                                  - Audio:
                                                                                  - Bitrate:
                                                                                  - Encoding Time: 07:47:43
                                                                                  10/25/2008 2:40:26 AM : Encoding Failed

- Source File: C:Users......AppDataLocalTempCopy of Superman Spoof 1.3.prproj
                                                                                  - Output File: C:Users.......DocumentsAdobePremiere Pro3.0Sequence 01.mp4
                                                                                  - Preset Used: Apple iPod Video Large
                                                                                  - Video:
                                                                                  - Audio:
                                                                                  - Bitrate:
                                                                                  - Encoding Time: 07:51:40
                                                                                  10/25/2008 2:44:24 AM : Encoding Failed

- Source File: C:Users.......AppDataLocalTempCopy of Superman Spoof 1.3_1.prproj
                                                                                  - Output File: C:Users........DocumentsAdobePremiere Pro3.0Sequence 01.mp4
                                                                                  - Preset Used: Apple iPod Video Large
                                                                                  - Video:
                                                                                  - Audio:
                                                                                  - Bitrate:
                                                                                  - Encoding Time: 07:52:09
                                                                                  10/25/2008 2:44:52 AM : Encoding Failed

- Source File: C:Users.......AppDataLocalTempCopy of Superman Spoof 1.3_2.prproj
                                                                                  - Output File: C:Users........DocumentsAdobePremiere Pro3.0Superman 1.3.mp4
                                                                                  - Preset Used: Custom
                                                                                  - Video:
                                                                                  - Audio:
                                                                                  - Bitrate:
                                                                                  - Encoding Time: 07:54:46
                                                                                  10/25/2008 2:47:30 AM : Encoding Failed

Then another error [ The native instruments folder has not been found do you want to..." and a OK button.]

But when i click OK it doesnt go away.. im not using nor have native instruments installed anymore since i deleted them all in my system

HELP PLS!!

• 39. Re: CANNOT EXPORT MEDIA from Premiere CS4

Maybe this Adobe KB Article will be helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 2 Previous Next