12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2009 8:13 PM by (jaxim)

Exporting Widscreen Uncompressed Microsoft AVI?

Level 1
      I am attempting to export using the "Uncompressed Microsoft AVI" format but it exports all skinny.

I had exported using the "Microsoft AVI" format with the "NTSC DV Widescreen" preset and my video is exported just fine. However, I need the video to be in the "Uncompressed Microsoft AVI" format so here are my settings.

So I try exporting with the "Uncompressed Microsoft AVI" format and setting the aspect ratio to "D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9(1.2121) - the same export settings as the compressed AVI export. But the Uncompressed Microsoft AVI format stretches the video vertically with black letterbox bars left and right of the video. When I export the video in the "Microsoft AVI" format with the above settings, the letterbox bars are above and below the video and the video is not stretched.

What am I doing wrong? Why do the 2 formats export the video different with their settings almost the same?
        • 1. Re: Exporting Widscreen Uncompressed Microsoft AVI?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          The "Uncompressed Microsoft AVI" option is for use with the AJA Xena card. If you don't have that, you need to choose the Microsoft AVI option with the codec set to None.
          • 2. Re: Exporting Widscreen Uncompressed Microsoft AVI?
            Level 1
            I tried your suggestion of outputting with the "Microsoft AVI" option with "None" codec and it got outputted the same way as the "Uncompressed Microsoft AVI" option. The outputted video looks skinny.

I then tried the change the aspect ratio to 1.1 (square) and that resolved the skinny issue, but now there is letterboxes both (above & below) AND (left & right). I just want the letterbozes to be (above and below). When I use the "Microsoft AVI" option with the widescreen preset, it outputs just fine in this regard.

What settings do I need to use for the AVI option in order to be sure that my widescreen video looks correct with letterbox bar above and below but not look skinny?
            • 3. Re: Exporting Widscreen Uncompressed Microsoft AVI?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              >The outputted video looks skinny.

Then adjust the player settings to "unsqueeze" it. The exact method how will vary with the player. (Note: Windows Media Player doesn't do this well. Use something like VLC, GOM or KMPlayer.)
              • 4. Re: Exporting Widscreen Uncompressed Microsoft AVI?
                Level 1
                I don't want to make the player have to unsqueeze it. I want to encode it in such a way so the player knows how to properly display it.

If I encode it as "Microsoft AVI" with the Widescreen preset, then the players display it just fine. So it is POSSIBLE to encode it in such a way so the user isn't forced to figure out how to properly play the video. An audience member should should just be able to click on the video and it just plays correctly.

What is it about encoding the video as a "Microsoft AVI" with the Widescreen preset, that it plays just fine in a player? How can I replicate this when I don't use a preset? Is it something that the codec is placing in the video that tells the video player to play the video a certain way? If so, then maybe I have to find the proper codec.

The reason why I didn't wish to encode the video with the normal preset is because I found that I needed to use the "UYVY" codec when I was exporting the video as a "uncompressed Microsoft AVI" because when I did, bright colors within the video no longer looked interlaced. The "None" codec of the "Microsoft AVI" mode also exported the colors well.

So I need to figure out how to export my video that follows the following 4 criteria:
                1) Does not make my bright colors look interlaced.
                2) does not make my video look skinny
                3) my widescreen video takes the entire width of the screen w/o stretching.
                4) I don't have to give my audience a set of confusing instructions on how to set up their video player in order to make the video look the way it ought to.

How can I export my video as an AVI file and follow the above 4 points?
                • 5. Re: Exporting Widscreen Uncompressed Microsoft AVI?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  >I don't want to make the player have to unsqueeze it.

Then you'll need to export with a 1.0 PAR at a resolution of 872 x 480. This is non-standard, however. Usually the player does the unsqueezing.

>Does not make my bright colors look interlaced.

That's confusing. Colors don't look 'interlaced'. A whole frame may be, but not a color.
                  • 6. Re: Exporting Widscreen Uncompressed Microsoft AVI?
                    Level 1
                    >Then you'll need to export with a 1.0 PAR at a resolution of 872 x 480. This is non-standard, however. Usually the player does the unsqueezing.

Can you tell me why if I use the Widescreen preset as I described earlier, that the video looks just fine? Since this preset CAN make the video look unsqueezed, it stands to reason that it IS possible somehow and that I just need to find the appropriate settings.

>Colors don't look 'interlaced'. A whole frame may be, but not a color.

I don't want add too many variables that don't relate to the topic. The bright colors do indeed make the colors look "interlaced" (it may be called something else but that's what it looks like). For the reason why, check out one of the last messages I made on the following thread. Once I resolve this thread's issue, I am planning on reporting back on the color interlaced thread on how I resolved the issue.
                    http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b81965
                    • 7. Re: Exporting Widscreen Uncompressed Microsoft AVI?
                      Level 1
                      ok, I tried to export the video at 720X405 (which is a 16:9 ratio) with a square pixel aspect ratio and the video aspect ratio looks fine. However, now the video looks interlaced. I thought this may be due to the small size of the exported video so I increased the ratio to 1920X1080. With this setting, the aspect ratio looks fine and it does NOT look interlaced, BUT now everything is super slow as if the frame rate slowed down even though it's not set to be.

Exporting the video seems like it would be a relatively easy thing to do but it's turning out to be a chore. :-(

Does anyone know what's causing my latest problems?
                      1) interlaced at 720 X 405?
                      2) slow motioned at 1920 X 1080?
                      • 8. Re: Exporting Widscreen Uncompressed Microsoft AVI?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        What is the end goal here, jaxim? How is the final export intended to be used?
                        • 9. Re: Exporting Widscreen Uncompressed Microsoft AVI?
                          Level 1
                          >What is the end goal here, jaxim? How is the final export intended to be used?

What I am using this video for right now, is to create the highest quality video I can which I can then decide much later on how to distribute it: i.e. Blu-Ray, DVD, internet video site, etc. First and foremost I want the video to be of the highest archival backup quality that is of a filetype that other programs will accept. I want to make sure it's not "Garbage In, Garbage Out" later down the road.

I was able to export the video as a WMV video with the HD 1080 preset (w/ some modifications: i.e. setting 29.97 fps). The video looks fine. The aspect ratio is good on my monitor. Bright colors don't look "interlaced". The only thing is that the video doesn't seem to be as high quality as the AVI file. Perhaps I can tweak the WMV settings further not sure how though

With my limited knowledge, it seems like some presets have a codec that includes a decoder that tells the player how to correct the aspect ratio. At least that's what it seems like some of the codecs are doing. Is that possible? If my video player doesn't know to correct the aspect ratio, then is it the job of the decoder to do this? Also, why is it standard to export the video at an aspect ratio that needs to be corrected? Why is my 1080 AVI file in slow motion but my 720 AVI file (with the same settings but the size) in regular speed?
                          • 10. Re: Exporting Widscreen Uncompressed Microsoft AVI?
                            hi

what's the details of the source file? i think that Widescreen option will add the black boxes onto your video.
                            try to use the Standard option instead of widescreen.

the best way to tell how your output file will look, is too click on the Output tab in the Export window :)
                            • 11. Re: Exporting Widscreen Uncompressed Microsoft AVI?
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              >I want the video to be of the highest archival backup

That's easy. Always go back to the original footage, not a final export. If you need to make a DVD, make it from this project, not a final export. If you need to make a Blu-ray, do it from this project, not a final export. If you need something for the web...well, you get the idea.
                              • 12. Re: Exporting Widscreen Uncompressed Microsoft AVI?
                                Level 1
                                ok, I modified the WMV export settings so there are more keyframes and that seemed to do the trick of improving the quality. Plus, it seems as though the WMV format has the added bonus of being smaller in file size.

Although I still would like to know why the video playback of the 1920X1080 AVI file was so slow and why the aspect ratio could not be corrected when I chose a different AVI codec and preset combo.