6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2009 5:56 AM by ovrexposed

external monitor

ovrexposed Level 1
      I'm looking to set up an edit system with a dedicated laptop using Premiere CS4. I'll be importing EX-3 footage via cards. I expect to be able to plug the cards direct into the laptop card reader to download the files with the Sony EX software.

Once I get the footage into Premiere, I need an external monitor. I'd like to use an HD field monitor. Can i feed a 9" field monitor like a Marshall or Panasonic directly from the laptop? Not sure which connectors would be available. I haven't bought either piece of the puzzle yet. HDMI is on the EX-3 and on many field monitors. Can I use that directly or someting else similar to view footage from Premiere?

Is there tech support from Adobe for these types of questions? The 'system requirements' didn't give me enough detail.

Thanx
        • 1. Re: external monitor
          ovrexposed Level 1
          Correction: the EX-3 does not have hdmi. it has HD-SDI and Component analog HD.
          I prefer to leave the SDI port open for other uses so that leaves the component analog. Can I feed an HD monitor that has component analog HD input with a laptop directly?
          • 2. Re: external monitor
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            If your laptop has a DVI port, you may be able to hook up that way. You can get cables to go from DVI to HDMI if need be.
            • 3. Re: external monitor
              ovrexposed Level 1
              What sort of graphics processor power will I need to run full HD video externally?

How do I know Premiere will be compatable with a given graphics laptop card??

I do not have the laptop yet, I'm trying to plan the system altogether...camera, laptop, edit software, monitor, etc
              • 4. Re: external monitor
                Bill Heslip Level 1
                >Correction: the EX-3 does not have hdmi. it has HD-SDI and Component analog HD. I prefer to leave the SDI port open for other uses so that leaves the component analog. Can I feed an HD monitor that has component analog HD input with a laptop directly?

This doesn't make sense. Are you looking for a monitor for your laptop or the EX3?
                • 5. Re: external monitor
                  ovrexposed Level 1
                  I'm looking for both. I need a small footprint setup to travel with.
                  I want a field monitor for the camera and double up as a preview monitor for the laptop edit setup.
                  • 6. Re: external monitor
                    ovrexposed Level 1
                    update:
                    I will use the EX-3 HD-SDI output to the monitor.

I'm considering a Lenovo Thinkpad W. They have two DVI outputs.

How do I verify that premiere will support the DVI outputs on the Thinkpad.

Looks like I'll have to have an external converter to change the DVI to SDI.