11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2009 6:51 PM by Stan Jones

add on to automatically export every clip to a seperate file

mr2000plus
      I have video tapes of marriage parties with a lot of different people on them. I cut these videos into clips and then want to export all the so generated clips seperatly. Does anyone have an idea how to archive this ?
      So originally I have one large video file and want to end up with a lot off small video files showing only e.g one family.
        • 1. Re: add on to automatically export every clip to a seperate file
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I'd probably use VirtualDub for this. It'd be easier I think than Premiere.
          • 2. Re: add on to automatically export every clip to a seperate file
            don solomon Level 1
            What format? If SDDV avi's (and several others), the best app I have seen for that is SolveigMM Video Splitter 3.0. No re encoding, cuts clips of any size, any place within long footage using the original codec. Excellent fully graphic UI. Worth every cent.

It is very fast, has keyboard controls, zoom timeline controls. Vastly preferable to using an NLE. I set it as default for opening avi's when I'm using it, double click a file, set in and out points , name it and bam it's done, cut another clip, done in seconds. No loss in quality at all.
            • 3. Re: add on to automatically export every clip to a seperate file
              mr2000plus Level 1
              I have to precise a bit.

1.) we have a large high quality (HQ) original file in hd (e.g. 10 GB)
              2.) we batch convert it to a low quality (LQ) file to provide it for outsourced cutting via internet (500 MB)
              3.) external cutting personal downloads the LQ files and marks the differnet scenes in a video editing software and exports a kind of project/EDL for that.
              4.) we batch split the original HQ file into many HQ scene files accroding to that EDL.

So this allows us to outsource the time consuming cutting process. The problem we have is in point 4.) that we need a software that does the cutting according to e.g. that EDL. The EDL must not be a standard EDL, it can be of any type. Also the video software the remote cutters use to mark the scenes, can be any that fullfills the needs.
              • 4. Re: add on to automatically export every clip to a seperate file
                don solomon Level 1
                There is a perfect object lesson in this thread for why it is important to be precise in the original post!

How about providing all the details.
                What camera are you using? What HD format?
                What LQ do you reduce it to?

What are you using for this job now?
                Or is this a new proposed workflow you hope to find a solution for?

Most every pro level NLE will spit out an EDL ans/or read them. Where precisely is the big problem with this?

More importantly, I don't know any editors who outsource their footage for someone else to make the editing decisions and set the EDL.

I often cut footage into potentially effective clips for clients who have sent me the master, I then send the clips to them and they then cull them and decide which ones for me to include in the final edit. The are paying me for making the final editing decisions and creating an effective video. My first impression is that this is not what you are doing (proposing).
                • 5. Re: add on to automatically export every clip to a seperate file
                  mr2000plus Level 1
                  We do outsource the process of cutting the original file into all its scenes. Then on our site we combine the scenes to our needs and create the final dvd. And also provide different scenes sorted by the people that are shown in there on the web as some kind of album.

So the problem is that we cannot deliver the original file to the remote cutters as the file is too large (about 50 GB). So we give the remote cutters a low quality copy of the original file. The remote cutter marks the scenes and send back some kind of EDL.
                  We now need a software that splits the original high quality file apart according to the EDL.
                  we might also read in the EDL into our data base and then search for e.g. people and so create cusomized dvds with just speacial people on them.

So 2 things I'm searching for:
                  - cheap/free software that allows easy marking of scenes and creating EDL like files.
                  - software / script that allows batch split of the high quality file according to the EDL like file.
                  • 6. Re: add on to automatically export every clip to a seperate file
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    >We now need a software that splits the original high quality file apart according to the EDL.

That's a very different question. I'm not aware of anything that fulfills your "2 things" on this one. Best to just send copies of the original media. Hard drives can be shipped for little money.
                    • 7. Re: add on to automatically export every clip to a seperate file
                      mr2000plus Level 1
                      due to the administrational effort and time loss when shipping hard drives around the world we search for a working solution. The 2 needed pieces of software can be the same or different ones. We would also pay to get a scipt / command line tool written that does the batch splitting according to EDL if now known solution is available.
                      • 8. Re: add on to automatically export every clip to a seperate file
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        If you're paying, Dan Isaacs may be able to help. He's good at scripts.
                        • 10. Re: add on to automatically export every clip to a seperate file
                          TradeWind Level 3
                          Use the project manager. Trimmed project. Exports sections of clips that you use.

Trick is to make sure there is an unused portion of your clip between the used portions, and that your clips are in use in a sequence.

At any rate, use the project manager to export a trimmed project and see if it gives you something like you need. If not, disregard.
                          • 11. Re: add on to automatically export every clip to a seperate file
                            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                            I feel like I've missed something. Can you use the EDL (or some kind of conversion of it) for a batch capture? That seems the easier option if it is possible.