6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2009 6:26 PM by Jim_Simon

Can I recover a deleted avi file from the preview files?

John Ratard Level 1
      I have unfortunately, in haste, deleted my avi file but I still have the preview files. How can I recover to create another avi file from the previews or use them in the project without the avi file? If not, is there a way I can recover the avi file, just deleted, from a drive that has not been touched since the deletion.
        • 1. Re: Can I recover a deleted avi file from the preview files?
          Bill Seper Level 1
          Try this (it's free):

http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recovery/info.htm?language=1
          • 2. Re: Can I recover a deleted avi file from the preview files?
            Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3
            John:

We have used this program many times to recover entire hard drives when the MFT goes mutant:
            http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

This will definitely work in your case. Remember, when you delete a file, it still exists, it's simply marked by the operating system, as free space that can be overwritten. it's very important that you scan your hard drive ASAP with GetDataBack for NTFS or a similar program such as R-Studio.
            • 3. Re: Can I recover a deleted avi file from the preview files?
              John Ratard Level 1
              I tried the smart recovery program. It noted one file found after I selected the source f drive and AVI as format type. I selected my g drive as the destination. Then it seamed to take an age scanning sectors on the NTFS drive. I had to cancel the search because I had to leave. The avi file is about 9 GB. How long is the program supposed to take? I program was scanning about half an hour.

I looked at the runtime.org/data-recover-software. For NTFS, the requirement is a slave mounted destination drive that I am unwilling to set up in my LAN configuration. The offer is a free try to find the file, then requires payment before filing it.
              • 4. Re: Can I recover a deleted avi file from the preview files?
                Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3
                John:

Depending on the drive size, you will nearly always need to let the scan go all night. It's a pain, but you WILL get the file back. You just have to be patient. There is nothing wrong with the Master File Table, so that's in your favor. I strongly recommend GetDataBack for NTFS. I have had to recover data from around ten drives over the years, and this program seems the most reliable we've used. R-Studio has a new version, but I've had issues in the past with that program freezing during a scan.

The way these programs typically work is, you get to use it for free to scan your drive to determine if data is recoverable. If it is, the companies restrict the file size that can be saved to another drive. So basically, you'll have to buy the program if you want a 9GB file back.

These programs are easy to use, but be careful and always save the recovered file to a DIFFERENT drive.

So basically, Get the program, GetDataBack for NTFS, and just let it run all night. Once it has run all night, you can right-click the file you want and copy it to another drive.
                • 5. Re: Can I recover a deleted avi file from the preview files?
                  John Ratard Level 1
                  I ran Charles Seper's suggestion to use the pcinspector smart recovery free program again. After an overnight session of 9 hours I stopped it to study the progress. It had found small parts of 41 avi files up to 15 MB long but not the 9 GB avi file as yet. The 41 files are from previous video editing and bits and pieces are still there after many defrags. Amazing! Some played for brief moments, others did nothing. I am now pondering whether this particular avi file is worth scanning for up to two or more full days to recover it. As I have never had cause to recover a file before, because I am usually careful, I cannot justify paying for a recovery program. Perhaps one day, programs will be sold/rented for a one off application such as I needed.

Thank you both so much for your help.
                  • 6. Re: Can I recover a deleted avi file from the preview files?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    You can pay someone else to do it.