1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 9, 2008 6:36 PM by Jim_Simon

Re-Naming MXF Files

Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3
      Our Office is pretty much split down the middle, Macs and PCs. OS 10 seems to handle Panasonic P2 files a little better than Windows. We will shortly buy a couple of copies of Production Premium CS4 for our PCs. I see that the New Media Browser in CS4 enables adding Metadata which can help organize and search P2 files. It would be nice though, if you could change the file names so you can browse them in Windows Explorer as well. I've done a little experimenting and found that you can change names uniformly for a clip and once in the XML file without breaking the audio link.

It seems to me that someone could easily create a small program that opens a batch of P2 files and lets you play them as thumbnails for identification purposes, then allow you to rename the clips.

We have the Panasonic File Management software. It's slow with some really irritating flaws.
        • 1. Re: Re-Naming MXF Files
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          The MXF format does allow all the data to be stored in a single file - video, audio, meta, etc. There's just no technical reason or advantage to the end user to create multiple files.

I'm a Panasonic fan, but the P2 data structure is one thing I feel Panasonic totally flubbed. Windows can and should be able to work with every clip as a single file, just as it does for DV.