4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2009 8:47 AM by brucesharpe

Is there a way to avoid re-encoding?

brucesharpe
      Suppose I have an mp4 or mov file encoded with H.264 and I want to make an FLV/F4V. Is there a way to do this without re-encoding? I want the same size, bitrate, keyframes, everything. I just want to change the wrapper from mp4/mov to flv/f4v. Re-encoding takes time, reduces quality and in theory should be unnecessary for what I am doing.
        • 1. Re: Is there a way to avoid re-encoding?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Premiere can't rewrap. It'll reencode. Maybe some other software can do this.
          • 2. Re: Is there a way to avoid re-encoding?
            don solomon Level 1
            You will be unlikely to find an app that will do that--I think I have tried them all on the Windows side. Allok video splitter will do an enormous number of format to format conversions, for example, but I don't think it will do .mov, although it will do the others you name.
            And, I suspect that it will be a re-encoding. How much loss would be involved can only be determined with testing There was, I believe, only one option for non re-encoding, and that was for splitting original to original footage into subclips.

But, obviously, there are numerous converters out there, like Squeeze and Procoder--besides AME (ugh), of course.

Are you on a Mac--maybe something there will do it.

If you find software that will do it for you, pleas post back. I'd like to have one that does .mov in my arsenal. since I have clients constantly asking for lossless conversion with no re-encoding.
            • 3. Re: Is there a way to avoid re-encoding?
              Colin Brougham Level 6
              What is your end goal? To play the H.264-encoded file back in Flash Player? If so, there's no need to do anything except make sure the extension is .mp4; FP9 and up can play back H.264 in an MP4 wrapper. And the QuickTime MOV container is, more or less, synonymous with an MP4 wrapper, so again an extension change can get you up and running.

FLVs are either Sorenson Spark (Flash 6+) or On2 VP6 (Flash 8+). F4V is essentially an MP4 container for holding H.264 video and AAC audio, but is Adobe's own special blend that includes some other features as well.

If you have another application in mind, do tell...
              • 4. Re: Is there a way to avoid re-encoding?
                brucesharpe Level 1
                1. Why: If I upload an MP4 to my video hosting service (Blip.tv) it will re-encode it to FLV. It takes time, their transcoding process is not entirely reliable, and the quality suffers. If I upload an FLV (well, actually, an F4V that I just rename to FLV), all is good.

However, I can't figure out a way to export an F4V directly from Final Cut Pro. So I export a high quality intermediate format (Pro Res) and then re-encode that to F4V in Adobe Media Encoder. The quality is fine, but doubling an already too-long encoding time makes me crazy. Re-wrapping seems like one way around this.

2. How: Further searching has led me to MediaCoder snd ffmpeg as rewrap solutions. MediaCoder in particular is spoken of highly, seems understandable, and apparently does just what I want. But so far it just creates a broken WMV file instead of F4V. I am going to keep working at it and will report back when I am successful (or not).

Bruce