6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2009 12:49 PM by Colin Brougham

Common presets folder for PPro and AME?

Colin Brougham Level 6
      This has been driving me a little bonkers: when you create an encoding preset in the PPro export module (before AME launches), that preset is not available as an applicable preset from the AME interface. The opposite is also true: design a preset in AME, and it doesn't show up in the PPro export module.

I'm aware that you can import one program's encoding presets into another (.EPR files), but this seems a bit clunky. Is anyone aware of a way to use a common folder to share presets between these two apps? Or am I doomed to a lifetime of aimless preset importing (dramatic soap opera music sweep added for effect)?
        • 1. Re: Common presets folder for PPro and AME?
          shooternz Level 6
          I am not entirely sure what the PPRo Export Module is ?

(Happy to test it for you if I knew what it was.)
          • 2. Re: Common presets folder for PPro and AME?
            Colin Brougham Level 6
            Craig,

"PPro export module" is a "for lack of a better term" description of what you see when you execute File > Export > Media from the PPro interface. It's what launches before the sequence is sent to AME for encoding, and where you set up your encodes parameters or apply a preset. It's these presets that are confounding me, in that ones I create in this interface are not directly available in the AME interface. Seems a little silly, since both modules/interfaces/whatever create preset files with an .EPR extension that can be imported into the other, but are otherwise not directly accessible. I create dozens of different export presets, so for housekeeping purposes and preservation of sanity purposes, it would be nice/awesome/logical to have a common repository for these shared presets. Hardly anything to get all in a bunch about, but it's one of those enhancements that would make life a little easier.

That all said, I think I might have found the solution, but I didn't discover it until late on Friday, so I'm waiting until tomorrow to fully kick its tires. I'll post back if it works, as I suspect a limited subset of other users might find this helpful, as well.
            • 3. Re: Common presets folder for PPro and AME?
              shooternz Level 6
              I will take a look.

I have some presets that I built in the "initial module" but I never ad reason to go back to Settings from the AME bath Window to see f they were still there.
              • 4. Re: Common presets folder for PPro and AME?
                Colin Brougham Level 6
                I'd say this most becomes an issue when you're bypassing Premiere, and adding clips, PPro sequences, or AE comps directly into AME. Typically, I'll design the original export preset from the Premiere end, but later on down the road, I might not have any reason to go through Premiere first. I've got a dozen H.264 presets, for example, and I'm always testing new ones--it would be convenient to maintain synergy between the interfaces a little more seamlessly.

This kind of thing has been one of my major gripes with the Adobe products, actually. Whereas the programs themselves work together pretty transparently (ie. copy in one program, paste in the next), it's the sharing of settings like this, or other ancillary files like brushes or custom shapes that seems to be a bit lacking. I think a great addition to Bridge (we don't need another app, so it could go there) would be the ability to manage, move, backup and share settings and add-on files. Of course, this could just be a character flaw of my own, in that I like all my working environments to be as similar to one another as possible :)
                • 5. Re: Common presets folder for PPro and AME?
                  shooternz Level 6
                  If I have this right.

I opened AME Standalone and dragged in an avi.

Went to Settings and all my Custom Presets were there with the standard presets.

(AME 4.0.2.002)
                  • 6. Re: Common presets folder for PPro and AME?
                    Colin Brougham Level 6
                    Weird. Doesn't work for me... I'll have to test tomorrow when I'm in front of the computer.