8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2009 9:03 AM by x34

CS4 Media encoder Has really sloooowed to a crawl

x34 Level 1
      I have seen many posts in the past along these lines when comparing it to the rending process with CS3 but noticed that will all the update for CS4, the encoder is slower than I can ever remember it being.

Not sure if any of the recent updates have caused this or not but for a 1 hour 48 minute project with normal 4:3 settings standard MPEG DVD, close to 7+ hours seems a bit ridiculous.

I am using the hardware I've been using for some time and it has never taken this long. The encoder has been running for almost 40 minutes and I haven't even seen on bit of footage on the encoder monitor yet.

Has anyone observed this extended encoding time?

Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Mb RAM 3.0GHz processor SATA drives with Nvida SLE dual cards.

I think I have enough horsepower but CS4's encoder is running like a jet at take off with the brakes fully applied.

Much thanks for any assistance!!
        • 1. Re: CS4 Media encoder Has really sloooowed to a crawl
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          >Has anyone observed this extended encoding time?

Not yet.
          • 2. Re: CS4 Media encoder Has really sloooowed to a crawl
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant
            Well I sure have.

One sure way to cut the encoding time is to render the timeline and then check the "Use Preview Files" in the "Export Settings" window.

In both cases below I did NOT export from Premiere. I closed Premiere and opened Adobe Media Encoder and under "File" I selected "Add Premiere Pro Sequence". This avoids using your C: drive as the source since I have a much faster RAID array for the project files

Without using the preview files on this extremely complex (editing-wise) one hour 18 minute video it took 6 hours 14 minutes to encode to MPEG2 DVD without using the preview files and it took only 42 minutes using the preview files!

This is an 8-core E5420 Xeon 2.67 GHz system
            • 3. Re: CS4 Media encoder Has really sloooowed to a crawl
              x34 Level 1
              Bill,

Thanks I appreciate your comments. I'm not familiar with the preview file usage and rendering on the time line but will read up on it and try it.

Much thanks for this valuable tip!!!
              • 4. Re: CS4 Media encoder Has really sloooowed to a crawl
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                >One sure way to cut the encoding time is to render the timeline and then check the "Use Preview Files" in the "Export Settings" window.

That's a little deceptive, isn't it, because you must then add the render time to the export time. Is that total really any faster?
                • 5. Re: CS4 Media encoder Has really sloooowed to a crawl
                  Media Encoder runs MUCH faster if you turn the Preview OFF. I have an E5420 quad-Xeon processor in an HP workstation. It renders SD video to MP2-DVD in about 1/4 real-time. It takes about 3x as long with Preview enabled. Premiere CS4 seems to do a decent job balancing the multi-processor loading.
                  • 6. Re: CS4 Media encoder Has really sloooowed to a crawl
                    Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant
                    Yes thank you for reminding us. It was so long ago that I turned off the "Preview" in AME (not to be confused with "Use Preview Files") that I forgot to mention that.

Edward, I do not know your system but with my two E5420's Adobe has done a pretty good job of balancing the multiprocessor loading with all 8 cores. Just to keep it a complete honest comparison as Jim suggested I am now timing the rendering of the timeline my post #2 above. since I rendered incrementally I did not realize how long the total timeline render actually took. More later when it finishes.
                    • 7. Re: CS4 Media encoder Has really sloooowed to a crawl
                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                      So far, with 8 cores, I haven't noticed any significant slowdowns when using Preview versus not using Preview in the AME. However, I haven't done any timed tests; my results are based solely on my own, relatively impatient observations.
                      • 8. Re: CS4 Media encoder Has really sloooowed to a crawl
                        x34 Level 1
                        Ed,

Thanks for that tip. Simple actually but I just never thought about it. I will try that for sure.

Certainly, there is no substitute for the monster machines used by some of the participants in this thread. It's like comparing a four cyclinder Covair to an 8 bander (cyclinder. It would indeed be all smoke from the tires that is. I's sure I am getting all I can expect from my little 2 cyclinder (dual core) rocket which just isn't in the same class of the ture multi-cores. I would love to own one...

but I would be afraid to take one for a test drive as I am sure I wouldn't want to return the keys! Oh how I would love to...

Thanks again!!