14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2009 9:59 AM by Chuck A. McIntyre

Still no playback to a DV deck... CS4

Davideo2 Level 1
      Similar to the recent "Export to tape CS4!!!" thread, I still cannot play firewire DV footage through my Sony DSR-30 deck. I tried the settings in sequence/sequence settings/playback settings, but that doesn't solve it. If the DSR-30 is on, and I hit the spacebar to playback, the time marker thing does not move, but playback happens on the program monitor - and a blank screen from the DSR-30. Here's another related question - when I turn on the DSR-30 I get a message to install a new device, but I always click on "ask me later" since I know of no known driver for the DSR-30. I'm using Vista 64 Business on a quadcore 9450 with 8 gigs of ram. I bought a separate PCI card for firewire, since I recalled having problems with my last computer and the built in firewire port.
      My workaround is tiresome - copy an AVI file of the project over the network to my old computer with Premiere Pro 1.5 and export from there!
        • 1. Re: Still no playback to a DV deck... CS4
          Bill Seper Level 1
          "I bought a separate PCI card for firewire, since I recalled having problems with my last computer and the built in firewire port."

Firewire usually isn't much of a problem these days Dave. A few years ago you had to be careful to make sure it was TI (Texas Instruments) compliant or it might not recognize your camcorder (it was a big problem with JVC cams as I recall), but almost all of them are TI compliant now. You might want to check yours just to be safe though.

I doubt this is the case, but could it possibly have anything to do with the DCR-30's audio lock mode? I mean, there's no reason why it should, but you never know. To turn it off hold down the pause and record buttons simultaneously while powering up the DSR-30.
          • 2. Re: Still no playback to a DV deck... CS4
            ssandt
            I have the same problem with a Sony DV camcorder. It doesn't matter if I use the automatic control function, or if I just start the camcorder recording and then manually start the print to tape. Everything appears to be working but the LCD screen on the camcorder is blue (indicating that a good recording is not being made).
            • 3. Re: Still no playback to a DV deck... CS4
              Bill Seper Level 1
              I take it that maybe the Sony is recording the sound but not the video? Since there are two of you (so far) I have to think it is indeed a CS4 problem.
              • 4. Re: Still no playback to a DV deck... CS4
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                I didn't have any trouble sending DV out to my Panny via CS4.
                • 5. Re: Still no playback to a DV deck... CS4
                  ssandt Level 1
                  No, there is no sound or picture recorded. Since the digital stream contains data for both, there must be something wrong with the output from the computer. Premiere says that no frames are dropped, but I think frames are dropped-it just can't tell the difference. I think the output is severely screwed up, but Premiere can't tell (for some reason). I am going to get a much better computer, and I should receive it by the end of next week. I'll transfer Premiere CS4 to that machine and I will try the same thing over again. It will be interesting to see the result. If it does then work, it will be apparent that the problem is a hardware problem.
                  • 6. Re: Still no playback to a DV deck... CS4
                    Colin Brougham Level 6
                    Have you tried swapping out your Firewire cable with a new one?
                    • 7. Re: Still no playback to a DV deck... CS4
                      ssandt Level 1
                      No, I haven't tried another cable, but I will use the same cable next week with the new computer. If the test is a success, it should point to a problem with my old computer not the cable.
                      • 8. Re: Still no playback to a DV deck... CS4
                        Davideo2 Level 1
                        It's not the cable for me. I always get a "Windows needs to install driver software for your AV/C Tuner" message. The only real option besides ignoring it is "Locate and install driver software" which can't find a driver for the DSR-30.
                        • 9. Re: Still no playback to a DV deck... CS4
                          I am not sure if this is of any use, but I recently posted the message below
                          in the forum.

I was unable to capture from a couple of Sony decks. My PC was simply not
                          seeing the decks and because the PC couldn't see them Premiere CS4 couldn't
                          capture the video. I had the same problem on a Avid system too.

It seems to be fine now that I've rolled back a driver to an earlier
                          version. I realise you are running Vista while I was running XP but it might
                          be worth looking into.

You could also try disabling the 1394 Net Adapter in Device Manager (does
                          this still exist in Vista?) under Network Adapters, to see if that helps.

I have a sneaking suspicion that something somewhere has been broken in a
                          service pack driver upgrade, but I suspect it's at a very geeky deep level
                          as I found some devices still worked while the Sony decks didn't. So it
                          might be something with how Sony implements the protocol.....

John (aka Jack)

-----Original Post-----
                          I recently found my PC wouldn't recognise either a Sony DigiBeta J-30 or a
                          Sony HDCAM JH-30 deck (although it would recognise a Sony HDV camera and a
                          Samsung DV camera) and because the PC wouldn't see them I couldn't capture
                          anything in PremierePro CS4. It isn't the decks, as I plugged them into an
                          iMac and iMovie was controlling and digitising from them without any
                          problems.

I found a site which suggested a problem with a Firewire drive not working
                          properly after installing SP3 might be down to a driver, sbp2port.sys, and
                          recommended rolling it back to the SP2 version*. I've done this and it seems
                          to have worked for now, although it took a few goes turning the decks on and
                          off before they were seen which makes me wonder if this was the complete
                          solution or not as I never had to do this in the past with these decks.

Has anybody else had any problems capturing over Firewire on a Windows XP
                          system after installing SP3?

I'm running a Dell Dimension 9200, 4GB RAM (3GB switch enabled), PremierePro
                          CS4 4.0.1, Windows XP Professional SP3

* "Fantom7684 wrote: I may have found a solution that worked for me. After
                          upgrading to XP sp3 my computer would not boot with my external firewire
                          drive plugged in. So, after reading through countless forums and knowledge
                          bases I found the answer on Western digitals site. The problem comes from
                          sbp2port.sys, You have to revert to an older version (5.1.2600.2180). I
                          found this version in the uninstall directory on my C drive. Just replace
                          this version with the version SP3 installed and everything works now. I can
                          restart my computer now with my firewire drive plugged in. I did this a few
                          days ago and every thing seems to be working fine. Good luck"
                          • 10. Re: Still no playback to a DV deck... CS4
                            I have just discovered a _no video out to the firewire_ problem with a new system (dell studio xps) and the trial premiere cs4. The program seemed to be working fine, then a test on the print to tape failed. I was able to capture from either a trv320 or trv900. There is no timeline video showing on the 1394 port at any time. Trying to print-to-tape, the device controller puts the camera in record, and records for the length of the timeline workarea, but the audio and video do not get passed. I haven't tried a second 1394 card, but it captures and dumps video with moviemaker. I'd appreciate any help!

Bill....
                            • 11. Re: Still no playback to a DV deck... CS4
                              Colin Brougham Level 6
                              Make sure that in your Playback Settings, "Export" is changed from "None" to "DV 29.97 720x480" (something like that). Oddly, the Export to Tape command will run with "None" active, but as you discovered A/V is not sent out over the firewire connection.
                              • 12. Re: Still no playback to a DV deck... CS4
                                Level 1
                                Thank you Colin! 100% easy fix for me.

Bill....
                                • 13. Re: Still no playback to a DV deck... CS4
                                  Colin Brougham Level 6
                                  You're welcome. Would have been a head-scratcher had the very same thing not happened to me yesterday.