32 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2009 4:13 PM by Jim_Simon

Sluggish response

Mliotta Level 1
      I just upgraded from Premiere CS3 to Production Premium CS4 about a week ago. Things looked fine at fist but then a few days later Premiere started to behave very sluggishly. The timeline plays back very sluggisly sometimes dropping audio and displays badly stuttering video.
      If I try to open a clip from the project window or the timeline in the preview monitor it takes at least 5 seconds or more before the clip appears there. Similarly it takes over 5 seconds to switch from one sequence to another in the time line window. Everything is very
      slow. This seems to have started after I did a 'Replace with After Effects composition" but I'm not 100% sure.

My system is
      Windows XP SP3
      Pentium D 2.8 ghz
      4G of Ram
      Radeon X1600 Pro video card
      Raid 1 media drive
        • 1. Re: Sluggish response
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I notice that same clip loading/sequence switching sluggishness on my system. Has run that like for me from the start, though. And I haven't a clue why. But the similarity in our GPUs is curious. What driver version you running? With or without Catalyst?

Windows XP SP3
          P4 2.6 GHz
          1 GB DDR2-800
          ATI X1650 Pro
          • 2. Re: Sluggish response
            don solomon Level 1
            Running any recent power hungry app on either of those machines is either a special form of self flagellation designed solely for geeks, or a serious experiment in finding the lower limits at which big apps will actually still work :)
            • 3. Re: Sluggish response
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              Not convinced that explains the the delay, though. (My CPU was mistyped, should read 3.6 GHz.)
              • 4. Re: Sluggish response
                Mliotta Level 1
                I am running driver vers. 8.561.0.0 and with Catalyst. It doesn'y explain why everything was fine with CS3 and for the first few days with CS4.
                • 5. Re: Sluggish response
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  I'm running 8.541.0.0 without Catalyst. I may try updating, just to see what happens. ATI is up to 8.9 I believe.
                  • 6. Re: Sluggish response
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    ATI is up to 9.3 (reflecting 2009/03)
                    • 7. Re: Sluggish response
                      Mliotta Level 1
                      It may not be the latest video driver but I don't see the problem being that. I opened up the same project in Premiere Pro CS3 and when I change from one sequence to another the response is imediate. In CS4 when I do this it takes at least 5 seconds before there is any response. Similarly if I try to preview a clip from a bin again it takes over 5 seconds to open in the preview window in CS4 but in CS3 the response is instantanious. I can't believe this is normal.
                      • 8. Re: Sluggish response
                        shooternz Level 6
                        What happens in a NEW project?
                        • 9. Re: Sluggish response
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          >I don't see the problem being [the video driver]

It may not be. I was just exploring possibilities.
                          • 10. Re: Sluggish response
                            Mliotta Level 1
                            I tried a new project with 2 sequences and no video and it takes about 5 seconds to switch from one sequence to the other. I then imported a small video file and again the same thing. It took 6 seconds before the file opened in the preview window. It sounds like I'm the only person to experience this issue.
                            • 11. Re: Sluggish response
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              No, me too.
                              • 12. Re: Sluggish response
                                Mliotta Level 1
                                Jim, have you solved your problem. If so how? I have completely uninstalled my Adobe software and re-installed it and the problem still occurs.
                                • 13. Re: Sluggish response
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  I still have the delay.
                                  • 14. Re: Sluggish response
                                    Video Junky Level 1
                                    I am so frustrated with this release. I have tried upgraded projects, new projects, avi, mv2, wav, you name it and i am only working with DV and it is still sluggish. Does Adobe not support 32 bit anymore? It would seem that this software is definitely not supported on 32 bit. Maybe i missed it but i sure didn't read anything that said you would go backward in performance. For $800 on the upgrade, i feel like i got ripped off.

I am ready to get my money back, if there is any way to do that.
                                    • 15. Re: Sluggish response
                                      don solomon Level 1
                                      Yes,

Adobe will refund the purchase if you have had it 30 days or less. The virtue of using a trial version is that it saves a lot of hassle if you are not satisfied. 'Try now, Pay later if you like it' is a good motto when it comes to software.
                                      • 16. Re: Sluggish response
                                        Mliotta Level 1
                                        I have been trying to resolve this with Adobe support and they are somewhat stymied as no one else has reported this problem. It seems to point to a system compatability issue. Jim you said you had the same problem. Can you tell me what your hardware profile is to see if there is something common in our two systems that may be causing this.
                                        • 17. Re: Sluggish response
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                                          Post 1.
                                          • 18. Re: Sluggish response
                                            Mliotta Level 1
                                            It would appear that the common elements are the video cards which are almost identical. Does anyone else have a Radeon X1600 or X1650 Pro and is running Premiere Pro CS4 successfully?
                                            • 19. Re: Sluggish response
                                              joshtownsend Level 2
                                              I do get sluggish behavior when the projects get big, but for smaller projects it's no problem.

I have noticed that Vista 64 is WAY faster with this behavior than XP or vista 32.

It's in that list of 4.1.0 fixes that somebody posted here but all of that isn't 100% confirmed.
                                              • 20. Re: Sluggish response
                                                rsperry314

The problem is probably that Pentium D, I would suggest an upgrade to atleast a core2 quad, or perhaps just a nice format reinstall of the OS might fix the problem...

• 21. Re: Sluggish response
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I don't beleve the processor is causing this particular delayed response when switching to a different sequence, or loading a clip on the Source monitor.  Premiere's performance is otherwise fine on my system.

And I did recently do a complete reinstall of the OS.

• 22. Re: Sluggish response
                                                    rsperry314 Level 1

Jim, lets look at the facts for a second...

Mliotta is using a Pentium D and you're using an even less powered Pentium 4 @ 2.6 GHz this is 6 year old tech, and extinct by today’s standards...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you guys are going in the wrong direction troubleshooting the videocard. I'm simply saying you’re running a single core P4 processor that’s not even over 3.0 GHz. You’re going to have performance issues, with software that was released 6 months ago and designed to run on the latest and greatest hardware. That is a given.

You won't know if this is a fix until you try it, I'm running Windows XP Black Edition on my home system /w an overclocked Core2 Quad @ 3.06 GHz with a big Zalaman heatsink to keep things nice and breezy, /w 6GB of Corsair Dominator 1066 DDR2 RAM /w an overclocked nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX and it runs flawlessly for me.

- You might also try the Windows 7 beta, granted this is an unsupported enviroment, but it should still work, and I've heard good things.

• 23. Re: Sluggish response
                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm simply saying you’re running a single core P4 processor that’s not even over 3.0 GHz. You’re going to have performance issues

I actually don't have "performance" issues while editing.  Things run fine, even in my three camera, color-corrected multicam sequence.  There's just a weird delay when switching sequences, or loading a clip in to the Source Monitor.  The CPU is relatively inactive during this delay.  Something else is at cause here.

(Also, my first post was in error.  It's actually a 3.6 GHz, P4.)

• 24. Re: Sluggish response
                                                        Curt Wrigley Level 4

I can confirm there is some bugginess in multicam in CS4 that wasnt there in CS3.  You are not alone.

• 25. Re: Sluggish response
                                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

I actually didn't notice any issues with multicam mode.

• 26. Re: Sluggish response
                                                            Curt Wrigley Level 4

Never mind me.  I seem to be combining threads in my head today, and then randomly making up replies..  I need soem sleep, or perhaps yoodels

Mental note;  Dont go bungee jumping later.

• 27. Re: Sluggish response
                                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Maybe you've already been, and the cord snapped. 

• 28. Re: Sluggish response
                                                                Eddie Lotter Level 4

I seem to be combining threads in my head today

It must be these new forums! I did the same thing in another thread.

Cheers

Eddie

• 29. Re: Sluggish response
                                                                  rsperry314 Level 1

When you "did recently do a complete reinstall of the OS" as you say, did you just install windows, followed by updates & drivers, then install Premiere & Premiere updates and nothing else, or have you installed any other applications on your system?

Because if you installed anything else in that process, it might be wise to try starting fresh again, and if it doesn't work on a fresh system you can rule out software conflicts at that point and only that point, once that's been ruled out then try swapping your video card, or processor, ram, motherboard ect...

Once you've ruled out a software conflict, you wont need Adobe support anymore, cause they can't help with that. You'll need to contact your OEM, and see what they have to say about your hardware, if they say its good then I would ask why display-intensive applications aren't working correctly...

• 30. Re: Sluggish response
                                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

When you "did recently do a complete reinstall of the OS" as you say, did you just install windows, followed by updates & drivers, then install Premiere & Premiere updates and nothing else

Yeah, that's pretty much it.  It's a dedicated editing suite.

• 31. Re: Sluggish response
                                                                      rsperry314 Level 1

Then you can rule out most software besides drivers, and that’s all that’s left to troubleshoot, drivers and hardware.

If changing drivers/firmware/chipset/bios (updating or rolling back) doesn't fix the problem, then you know its time to open up your tower and switch components!

Yay another issue solved or at least narrowed down to a non adobe problem!

Sheesh, I almost sound like one of their technicians...

<3 Robert!~

• 32. Re: Sluggish response
                                                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

you know its time to open up your tower and switch components!

Next stop...Core i7!